• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics--the Yellow Kid and the Color Supplement

8 posts in this topic

I'm doing some research, and I'm coming up with some conflicting information. A number of sources say Pulitzer began publishing his color supplement in 1896, but I find other sources noting that the first color Yellow Kid cartoon was published on May 5, 1895.

Anybody know where the mix up is?

Any help would be appreciated.

Board member Yellow Kid has a paper in the latest issue of "Hogan's Alley" where he points out that some of the "facts" that have been circulating about the character's first appearances are incorrect.

The first Yellow Kid cartoons were published in Truth Magazine. One of them was "borrowed" as was the custom at that time and reprinted in Pulitzer's The World in b+w on 17 February 1895. The first color appearance was 5 May 1895 with the Yellow Kid in a blue nightshirt. As it turns out, the color of the Yellow Kid's nightshirt varied until late in the year when it became permanently yellow. For a look at the history of the Yellow Kid and some pictures of rare collectibles, please visit my web site at: www.neponset.com/yellowkid

The first Yellow Kid cartoons were published in Truth Magazine. One of them was "borrowed" as was the custom at that time and reprinted in Pulitzer's The World in b+w on 17 February 1895. The first color appearance was 5 May 1895 with the Yellow Kid in a blue nightshirt. As it turns out, the color of the Yellow Kid's nightshirt varied until late in the year when it became permanently yellow. For a look at the history of the Yellow Kid and some pictures of rare collectibles, please visit my web site at: www.neponset.com/yellowkid

(worship)

I bumped into a NY Times article that noted the first color Yellow Kid as appearing in 1893, so the dates are all over the place depending on the source.

Thanks, for the good info. (thumbs u

12889012145_a2c4436782_z.jpg

Outcault's work must have been very popular. I found several of these valentines at the flea market and I don't usually look at postcards.

I believe I have some old Outcault Valentine's buried in a box somewhere that I had picked up at a flea market back east as a kid. I didn't buy that kind of stuff either but I noticed the name and thought it would be neat to have. If I ever unearth I will have to post.

The Yellow Kid appeared almost only in New York City newspapers. But with advances in technology and his creation of Buster Brown, his comics were in papers from coast to coast and he attained national popularity.