• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet grading guide

17 posts in this topic

Saw in other posts that one recommended collection tool is the Overstreet grading guide

Was a older post - is this still a good recommendation?

Latest edition I can find was released in 2006 - this still a good reference?

Thanks

Yes, but you want to get the 2nd edition from 2003. ;)

What makes that one superior?

There were numerous threads about the differences when the 3rd edition came out. Put them side-by-side or read the threads. The 2nd edition is clearly a better piece of work.

If you want to pick nits :grin: the most valuable part of the guide regarding understanding the concept of grading is the chart/graph which shows the relationship of the number of allowable defects to the grade. The pictures in each of the grade categories are meant to illuminate the severity of the defects allowed in each grade. :)

If you want to pick nits :grin: the most valuable part of the guide regarding understanding the concept of grading is the chart/graph which shows the relationship of the number of allowable defects to the grade. The pictures in each of the grade categories are meant to illuminate the severity of the defects allowed in each grade. :)

Great - this is what I was looking for - there are loads of examples here that I can learn from - but that "what kicks it down a level (or three)"- types of in formation is really useful to me.

You can learn to grade exclusively without it but you can't learn to grade exclusively with it.

Everything counts. There's no argument here. Thanks for posting the graph.

Actually, that graph is pretty useless without understanding which defects are and are not allowed in each grade. This is really a supplementary aid.

This, of course, is exactly what I said.

You can learn to grade exclusively without it but you can't learn to grade exclusively with it.

Everything counts. There's no argument here. Thanks for posting the graph.

- More on why I asked the initial question - I am returning to the hobby after an extended time off - AND my background is in engineering.

For me - the more data and research that I can do - the better. I am fairly confident that I can spot flaws - but the knowledge of what specific flaws (and how they are defined and used to grade) - is something that I need work on. I do not remember the focus 20 years ago being so all encompassing - as to all the different levels of grading that people want to see (10.0. 9,9. 9.2, 3.141519, etc) - but that was 10 years ago and most of what I was accumulation was off the shelf items that I assumed were "mint".

Charts help me in the learning process - us engineering types like that sort of thing (charting, counting, math....) - helps me have that reference and speed up the learning process (as opposed to trying to learn without it). Others may do better without it.

YMMV - but this has been a very interesting post.

thx