• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can someone tell me whats going on here?!

91 posts in this topic

Faded.

A (long gone) LCS displayed all their key books in a display case whish had built in fluorescent lights and they all looked horrible.

A VF Flash 123 in this condition... there wasn't much left of the image to appreciate!

I do not believe I ever saw a sun bleached CGC comic. Not saying that the grade they would assign would be the right grade. Just want to know other collectors opinion on this defect.

That X-Men 94 I just posted, which I picked up sight-unseen for $30 on eBay (no picture, no description other than "vg xmen 94"), turned out to be a sun-bleached CGC 4.0. Structurally it looks like a 9.X, but I guess fading hammers an otherwise HG book down to VG.

If it was lower-grade to begin with, I would imagine it dropping even further.

I have some faded Conan comics that have lost some of the bright colors. Store owners leave the comics out in the light too long which causes the ink to fade. Wall books should rotate.

bb

I think you can see the fade on my Conan but another issue with some fade has a sharp red color on the back. Comics that I bought from the Curious Book Store when the shop was on Grand River in East Lansing are still bright colors.

12960229655_95a6bdef4c_c.jpg

12960318323_00453215a4_o.jpg

12960038005_49e4433ecf_c.jpg

I don't remember whether it was the bright colors or the extra pages that attracted me to these issues but I stayed because of the Barry Windsor art.

Edited by BB-Gun

It's after 4am here, but tomorrow I'll try and scan an X-men book I have that was in a window, half behind another book.

And you can clearly see which colors start to fade first.

Hint: half of Magneto's costume is pink. lol

Faded, and the first color to go is always RED, so it's a quick way to check.

Who wants to see my otherwise-HG X-Men 94?

You bought that from Big B, didn't you?

Who's Big B?

I bought it in the early-2000's from a text-only eBay listing with "vg xmen 94" in it, and that was all that was in it. I bid $35 or something, and I won it for $30 (probably most people thought it was a *new* X-Men 94 from the 2000's but I checked to make sure it has a 25-cent cover). It turned out to be a faded CGC 4.0 with 9.X structure.

Good deal for me.

Who's Big B?

I bought it in the early-2000's from a text-only eBay listing with "vg xmen 94" in it, and that was all that was in it. I bid $35 or something, and I won it for $30 (probably most people thought it was a *new* X-Men 94 from the 2000's but I checked to make sure it has a 25-cent cover). It turned out to be a faded CGC 4.0 with 9.X structure.

Good deal for me.

Sorry, it's a Comic shop chain here in southern Ontario. They had a copy that looked just like yours.

Sorry, it's a Comic shop chain here in southern Ontario. They had a copy that looked just like yours.

There's probably a lot of these floating around, as that's what happens to most "wall books" that sit for too long.

Here's an ASM 97 I found in a $5 box about 10 years ago. Wasn't sure if this was sun fading or kid with crayon. But the back cover has the same thing going on. Could it be a printing error?

AMS97-front.jpg

AMS97-back.jpg

re: Surfer book:

I personally think it is a combination of printing error and fading.

Look at the guy on the left side of the cover, on the VG copy he is green, on the other copy he is blue. Suggests a lack of a color printed. I also see fading. I think this book has had both.