• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne's Avengers West Coast

18 posts in this topic

I was browsing online at all the work John Byrne has done in the past and came across the Avengers West Coast run he did from issues #'s 42-53. I have never read these comics and was wondering what people thought of this run?? I am a big fan of Byrnes work at Marvel so I would imagine I would like it.

On another note I have never read the original Iron Fist series either.....any good?

I would most definately like to read the Avengers West Coast run if I can find them cheap enough....no job at the moment so real cheap!! lol

The covers on the majority of the issues are great and look to be good 'ole fun reads.

I'd recommend the Iron Fist run over West Coast Avengers, as it's a much better read and has classic Byrne 70's art, rather than the diluted late-80's/early-90s Byrne. It's by the same Claremont & Byrne team that gave you the New X-Men, and if you are light on cash, then maybe you can pick up the Essential Iron Fist, which includes the entire saga, including the MTU's and Powerman's (still Claremont & Byrne) that end off the saga.

WCA under Byrne also had way too many changes and bizarre retcons, some of which were done for shock value and to shake the title up. I won't ruin it if you haven't read the books yet, but some of the changes are batsheit crazy and were not at all well received by fans or by many at Marvel.

In some ways, Byrne's WCA is prescient, and he literally pukes all over the SA and BA stories in trying to sell more issues and raise his residual fee.

Thanks for the quick reply's guys! Faster Friends I just sent you a PM and @ Joe Collector now you actually got me more interested in the AWC run....to see whether I hate it or love it! lol

As for the Iron Fist run....I would love to check that out as well but I imagine that would cost me a lot more seeing how they are bronze books and all. Especially the last 2 issues with Sabretooth and the X-men.

I have a few essentials, they do have a Iron Fist one?

I have a few essentials, they do have a Iron Fist one?

Yes, it may be out of print, but you can still find it on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Essential-Iron-Fist-Vol-1-Avengers-Cage-Power-Man-Sabertooth-/331142589573?pt=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&hash=item4d19a2ec85

WOW! $30 is more then I can afford right now. Sometime though.......Do any of the other essentials have any decent resale value? I have the first 8 Spider-Man volumes, the first DD, FF, Avengers, Uncanny X-Men and the 2 Handbooks to the Marvel Universe.

Byrne's WCA run is self-indulgent hackwork. The dude had a in his shorts for the Scarlet Witch, so he destroyed the Vision - just about permanently ruining the character - and then tried to redo the Dark Phoenix Saga with Wanda instead of Jean so he could finally prove to the world that he didn't need Chris Claremont's help.

My review: It's total poop.

What Byrne did with the Scarlet Witch/Vision was really very strange. He got some criticism -- it was such a convoluted story, I don't see how he could've gotten off scott free -- and decided to pack it in and leave.

Byrne's 80s comics were great. This was the tail end of the greatness.

One thing I really hated about late-80's Byrne was how he totally screwed up everyone's hair, and while Sue Storm's shaven head look was the worst, he also gave Scarlet Witch a bob-cut (worst move ever - SW has the best hair in comics) and made Wonderman's mullet/ponytail even worse.

My favourite part of the Byrne run was the return of a legendary hero who joined the ranks of the AWC (trying not to give away spoilers) who was then disappointingly ignored by the following writer. :sorry:

My favourite part of the Byrne run was the return of a legendary hero who joined the ranks of the AWC (trying not to give away spoilers) who was then disappointingly ignored by the following writer. :sorry:

That has always been the biggest problem with comics from the late 80s on. Once one writer leaves, the new writer too quickly wants to put their own spin on things and ignores what has come before.

The biggest example is after the end of Born Again, the new writer (Ann Noccenti) completely ignored the amazing set-up laid out by Miller. He handed the next writer years of great stories with Daredevil. We never got it.