• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back in the Top 500

7 posts in this topic

I have managed to get back into the top 500, at least for the time being, but it took a big 1100 registry point comic to get me there and I'm just hanging on by a thread. My newest acquisition is a beautiful 9.4 at a great price. Well, maybe not THAT great since it had been sitting around for several years without a bite. The reason I waited so long is because, although it's a lovely cover and an awesome grade for a Golden Age book, it is perhaps the most heavily graded of all the Captain Marvel Adventure comics with 62 graded copies and 9 graded 9.4. I avoided this issue because it was just so darn available but a 9.4 Golden Age is still a 9.4 Golden Age even if 8 more exist out there.

I'm sure my visit to the top 500 will be short particularly since I'm going to take at least a few months off to replenish my coffers. I have a very strict budget and my next addition may be a big one. I'm very meticulous about my collection and I have a list 32 potential buys, their place of sale, grade, price, registry points and how close they are to the highest grade. I then crunch all the numbers and come up with my next purchase. I keep track of my added registry points per year and how many I need to reach number one. I have another number one grade in my crosshairs but this would easily be my biggest purchase ever and would go through over half my budget for the rest of the year. It all depends on how long I can go without making a purchase. My record last year was 2.5 months. If I bought the big one I would only be able to buy a couple more for the rest of the year.

15245.jpg

See more journals by David Swan

I enjoy the insight

The dreaded budget. I have no large multiple purchases in my future but multiple small ones. How they add up is another story. Good luck. And that 9.4 GA book is very sweet.

Wow, 1946 and in NM...nice. I love your buying strategy...very smart. I would also prefer to make fewer purchases in order to pick up better books. Come to think of it I havent bought a graded book since 09.01.2013 when I picked up Marvel Tales 30 in CGC 9.6...highest graded and a pedigree. I think Im due for another comic! I do have 4 Bronze Age books at CGC right now that were pressed as well and that whole process isnt cheap as you know so I suppose that counts. I fell out of the top 500 quite awhile ago and dont know when I will make it back...it's not about the points though, right? ;)

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

That is an awesome GA book!!

I also like your strategy.

If I wasn't so into completing particular 80s series, I would implement a very similar strategy. Like Tnerb though, I always plan on multiple smaller purchases rather than single large ones.

That may change once I achieve completion on certain sets.

I was as high as 148 in the overall rankings. Then I started going down. I was 188 when I realized I would need to start buying higher registry point issues to keep up. That's when I started collecting SA Harveys. Their RP/AP ratios are tremendous and I had wanted to start collecting some of them anyway.

Now I stay in the 160 to 170 range but it's a constant struggle to keep up. There are just more CGC members now and many who go after those extremely high RP SA and GA books.

Beautiful book you have there! I enjoy your journals and like your collecting style and strategy. You have an amazing set, for me (and probably many others here), the name David Swan is synonymous with Captain Marvel.

Late last year, I decided to remove a few registry sets, I still have the books, but I removed those sets because I decided to no longer pursue those books that are not in my main focus. In taking a page from your book, and few others in the registry, I decided to hone in on the few sets that I'm focused on and go after the truly special pieces when the time comes.

Congratulations on getting into the top 500, best of luck with the Captain Marvel collection!

I'm also on a very tight budget and have decided to avoid any purchases until all my debts are settled.

I calculate that by July or August I'll have zero debt.

And much like Tnerb, I'm trying to sell comics and accrue cash for future purchases. At the moment I have nothing on my radar. I have no plans to completing any sets. And the last purchase I made back in January (FF 67) will remain my last purchase until the debt is paid off.

Recently I had to fight the temptation to buy a book I wanted, but thankfully, I am allowing my brain to make buying decisions.

Your CM 9.4 is beautiful. I don't own any Golden Age... except for a few raws... but man would I love to change that around. In the Golden Age category, my desire would be all things EC related.

Congrats on getting in the top 500! That is amazing! I don't where my collection is, but it pales in comparison to what you and most others have.

Congrats on your success and I look forward to reading more about your collection.

SW3D