• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do your childhood faves say about you?

34 posts in this topic

I was thinking about the reasons why we have the favorite comic characters we do as kids, and there are many reasons, including quality of writing and art, popularity and happenstance of introduction to a character, and influence of parents and peers, but identification with a character can play a big role as well, either as an ideal of who you would want to be if you were a comic book character ( a normal consideration when you are a kid ), someone whose powers you would want (with a subtext a s to why), or someone whose persona or alter-ego reflects in someway how you see yourself. When we are young and still looking to define ourselves, these sorts of influences play a bigger role than they do later, even if we retain a fondness for characters due to nostalgia.

When I was 11-13, my favorite Marvel title was X-Men, even though the title was discontinued around that time. I realized then that it generally wasn't as compelling a read as ASM or FF, even though there were some cool Kirby, Sterenko and Adams back issues. It was the outsider aspect of the team that appealed to me, as at that age in particular I felt some disconnect from the larger society around me, combined with an early adolescent distain for those that tried to "fit in". That the book wasn't all that popular with comic fans in general at the time probably added to the appeal in that it was a non-conformist choice.

X-Men, Legion, Starlin Captain Marvel / Warlock / Thanos.

As a disconnected, frequently-bullied kid with undiagnosed Aspergers, not too surprising that I empathised with the X-Men.

By the time I was 15 my favorite comic team were The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, for reasons I probably don't need to explain. lol

No shame there. By that age I was a big Richard Corben fan. (thumbs u

I was a poor sap that collected pop bottles to get change for books so I always wanted the most bang for the buck. That is probably why I liked brave and the bold and marvel team-up so much because you get the main hero and bonus characters.

I never bought a book off of a whim, it was an investment of entertainment because I couldn't afford that many so when I bought a book I thought about not only readability but re-readability.

My favorite comic as a child was the Marvel Star Wars comic. I couldn't get enough Star Wars (comics, toys, etc.) as a kid. My favorite comics today are ... Dark Horse Star Wars comics. I guess this tells me I've never grown up. :grin:

But, since Star Wars comics are not "real", maybe it says I have trouble relating to the real world or something like that. :D

I first got into comics when my dad started buying me cheap quarter bin issues. Eventually I found a Sonic the Hedgehog comic in the early 90s. As an avid Sega enthusiast, I fell in love with Sonic comics and have a decent collection of all the early issues.

Then in 95 or 96 I found Spider-Man comics. I'd been watching the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons on Fox and was excited to start reading comics. I slowly became a collector from there.

Some of those early Sonic issues were a lot of fun. I haven't revisited them, but man did I love them when I was younger.

Didn't really get serious into comics until high school (back in 2006) where books like Ultimate Spider-man and Bendis' Daredevil got me hooked. I was however really into the x-men and spider-man cartoons of the 90s. I had a couple of Jim Lee X-men books too which I never really read but had just so I could copy the pictures lol

I always liked the scifi and horror stuff, Mystery in Space, Space War, Space Adventures, Journey into Mystery, My Greatest Adventure, Strange Adventures etc.

My favorite characters were Adam Strange, Superman, Batman, Spiderman

I'm actually just now getting into the horror stuff. I love all the HOM and HOS stuff. Crime/Shock Suspenstories from the 50's are brutally awesome. I did, however, buy a From Dust Til Dawn comic when I was 14, because I loved the movie so much.

Spider-Man: Peter stood up for himself yet never stooped to the level of his bullies or villains. Peter never resorted to unnecessary or deadly force.

He would learn from his mistakes when he over reacted. He put greater emphasis on his responsibilities rather than his rights.

The Master Planner trilogy made a big impression on my 10 year old values.

Of course I'm talkin' silver age, a lot of that changed as time went on and societal blood lust increased.

I see what everyone is saying they started out on.... but I don't see what everyone is saying this says about them :grin::baiting:

am I the only one who read silver age DC as a kid???

what happened to all the copies I didnt buy?

I read DC silver age as a kid. Superman, Batman, Flash, Green lantern and the Atom were good. I did like Marvel better.

P.S. :

Kav,

I owe you an amends. :foryou:

I came on really strong in a post to you in another thread. You did not deserve that. I do not know what came over me.

I am truly sorry :sorry:

I started out on late 60's Gold Key..... Donald Duck, Turok, and Tarzan. I suppose that says I escape the wrath of the comics code :grin:

I read DC silver age as a kid. Superman, Batman, Flash, Green lantern and the Atom were good. I did like Marvel better.

P.S. :

Kav,

I owe you an amends. :foryou:

I came on really strong in a post to you in another thread. You did not deserve that. I do not know what came over me.

I am truly sorry :sorry:

I was not offended at all. I valued your input.