• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink May Auction

200 posts in this topic

Is APRIL going to get completely overlooked? (shrug)

Just curious. It seems CLink is padding the May "featured" auction and bypassing the April "focused" auction.

Yes, it will be overlooked...at least here. I consigned twice to Clink and have a few things to give them at the comic art con. I expect half to go into the focused...where they will be overlooked as it is a low end auction and most do not want low end items...and the rest to get lost in the featured as they will be the chaff amongst the wheat. Focused seems to be a value of $500 or less, so it won't get ANY play here.

Still better than consigning to ebay I think and there are tons of goodies in the focused if you swim in that pool. (I am trying to shower off that pool and dive in the slightly larger one!)

That's a great Mr. Miracle splash. Anyone with a better memory than me know if the Byrne Avengers page is the same one that Mitch had at his booth at SDCC 2013?

Its sold on ebay about 1-2 months ago i believe. I still don't get the quick flip mentality. Is there really a significantly different buyer pool from 2 months ago between ebay and clink?

That's a great Mr. Miracle splash. Anyone with a better memory than me know if the Byrne Avengers page is the same one that Mitch had at his booth at SDCC 2013?

Its sold on ebay about 1-2 months ago i believe. I still don't get the quick flip mentality. Is there really a significantly different buyer pool from 2 months ago between ebay and clink?

You remember what it went for on eBay?

You remember what it went for on eBay?

$3,620

http://www.comicsvalue.com/Avengers-Vol-1-188-pg10-original-artwork-John-Byrne-archival-framed/310780604601.html

I have a CAF room devoted to back of pages art - I think it is a fun bonus when you find something neat on the back but generally haven't seen people push hard for more cash for it...but I see that changing a bit.

In this case, I don't think the back will have much impact given the front is going to be pricey but quite a sweet bonus - might make it easier for one of the top bidders to go one more round...

I noted that the Don Heck pre-hero monster splash from Tales to Astonish is going for more than 1K and hasn't hit reserve yet. Is that market for a non-superhero Don Heck early silver age LA splash or is this one particularly nice in comparison to most? Not dissing the piece one bit, just wondering if that is where the market is on his work now.

Comiclink are looking to maximize the collection so they are collating the big pieces for May. The smaller pieces will be for April.

I think they are scheduling it similar to the last time which is close to after Heritage ends so that the spillover guys who did not win Heritage bids will go there.

I have some information that May will be a stacked auction!

I hope May is stellar. I expect to consign a bunch of pieces at the comic art con and although most of my stuff is headed for the April "focused" auction, I will have 3 or 4 pieces in May as well. I hope the money is flying, rising tide and all that!

Lots of nice pieces showing up in May now. April shot from 2/3 pages up to 5 now as well. OOPS, gotta go, frame shop just called and I have framed art waiting for pickup!

I have previously owned this piece and even started a thread about this. So I will be watching this closely. The would be like "pop art" versus "comic art".

Would the buyer get this for being a Garcia-Lopez original or because it was used by pop artist for former Warhol assistant Steve Kaufmann?

As the purchase of this piece includes a "Kaufmann" watch and an original Style Guide -- would people buy it because of the watch or the 67-page style guide?

Finally, in my estimation, the value of the limited edition watch might even be worth more than the original art itself.

RAD78E3D201441_175050.jpg

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2014may%26itemtype%3D1%23Item_1010326&id=1010326

I have never really been a fan of pop art and I'd find it absurd that people care more about a Steve Kaufmann "copy" of a Garcia-Lopez art rather than the original artist. Why would they call it an SAK watch instead of a Garcia-Lopez watch?

Enough ranting .... I will look at this piece closely for sure.

I have got to admit, I am very impressed with the May CLINK auction preview so far and there is more getting me excited on clink this time than HA. ON HA the wolverine page will be amazing to watch but aside from 2 pages I'm targeting at HA I would say there are about 15 I could see msyelf going after on CLINK.

NO conflict of interest, I have nothing consigned to either auction

I have never really been a fan of pop art and I'd find it absurd that people care more about a Steve Kaufmann "copy" of a Garcia-Lopez art rather than the original artist. .

I get why that sticks in your craw but just put it into comic terms and you'll see its not that strange. Kaufmann is just a bigger name; comics people will value the name over the "originality" as well.

Assuming both existed, what would comic fans pay more for? The Raymond panel on the left or the bob kane batman drawing on the right?

Despite the fact that kane is frankly kind of a talentless hack he has name power and so does his creation and that trumps the fact that the fact that the Raymond came "first"

ul2-1.jpg