• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What % guide do you pay for.....

12 posts in this topic

I am curious what percent guide you guys pay for each age in each grade? Keys and nonkeys? For instance, what % of guide would you be comfortable with for a DC non-key in 6.0 or 7.0? What about a SA marvel key in 4.0? I know there are a ton of variables, but ballpark numbers would be good. For me, I tend to pay 25-50% guide for Marvel and DC bronze non-keys in 6.0-8.0 and 50-75% guide for keys. I would be curious about any ages and grades, especially mid-grade stuff (which can be tricky to price).

I am curious what percent guide you guys pay for each age in each grade? Keys and nonkeys? For instance, what % of guide would you be comfortable with for a DC non-key in 6.0 or 7.0? What about a SA marvel key in 4.0? I know there are a ton of variables, but ballpark numbers would be good. For me, I tend to pay 25-50% guide for Marvel and DC bronze non-keys in 6.0-8.0 and 50-75% guide for keys. I would be curious about any ages and grades, especially mid-grade stuff (which can be tricky to price).

Low Grade (VG-Fine-) 25-30%

Mid Grade (Fine to VF-) 40-60%

VF to VF/NM 50-70% (more if I really want the book)

above VF/NM depends on what the issue is.

For Ebay I try not to top 40% of OS guide in ANY grade, ballpark. Of course many times that means I don't win. But sometimes I can pick up books in lots at 10-15% guide. However, at cons I usually see myself going up to 75% or even (shudder) a little over guide on some, but that's usually because I am more apt to buy keepers at cons whereas on Ebay I mostly buy to flip.

For Ebay I try not to top 40% of OS guide in ANY grade, ballpark. Of course many times that means I don't win. But sometimes I can pick up books in lots at 10-15% guide. However, at cons I usually see myself going up to 75% or even (shudder) a little over guide on some, but that's usually because I am more apt to buy keepers at cons whereas on Ebay I mostly buy to flip.

Because of notoriously bad grading on Ebay, I agree with you! This is also the reason so many books do not achieve higher prices: people assume the book will be recieved in a lower grade than listed. frustrated.gif

Those of you who want Overstreet to lower values based on Ebay sales, keep this in mind! makepoint.gif

I've only been to one Comic convention and I must say that is the best place if you are going to spend 70%+ of guide on a raw book. The idea of seeing the book live and in person is almost priceless to me cloud9.gif I like buying raw books on Ebay but some of them people give out VF/NM grades a little to freely. Some of those people has their own imaginary grading scale which you have no idea what they are basing it on 893whatthe.gif

Well I offer 60% of guide for books on my want list (almost all non-keys) in VG to VF-....and when I put up my want-list on the boards, 11 people contacted me in a space of 2 hours and I ended up buying over 100 comics, or 70% of my want-list.

So I'm guessing I'm offering a good price grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Having said that I'm looking for Avengers #4, # 5, #6, #11 & #14 ballpark VG grade

thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

Well I used to offer 40% when my want list had over 2000 titles, once I got it down to 500 books I raised it to 50%....I now have about 50 books left on my list, but with the ever appreating Euro I can now offer 60% (which in most cases is the same as 40% two years ago )

Usually i don't buy anything below F+/VF-, i'm mostly a SA/Bronze age marvel collector and whatever the grade of the book i never go beyond the 50% guide, usually my base line is around the 40% and from time to time a lot lower, for ex: just bought an Nick Fury VF/VF+ on ebay for 10$ grin.gif but that doesn't happen everyday.