• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Heap" was the template for Swamp-thing/Man-Thing

22 posts in this topic

I was browsing around on toonopedia.com and ran across this interesting bit of info ....

Excerpt from http://www.toonopedia.com/manthing.htm

Neither Marvel Comics' Man-Thing nor DC's Swamp Thing is a copy of the other, despite the way it may seem to some comics readers who are just a little bit hazy on the dates. Like X-Men/Doom Patrol and Vision/Red Tornado, they came out far too close together for one to have "inspired" the other — the Marvel character beat the DC one, even in preliminary form, into print by one scant month. By an even odder coincidence, the muck monster both used as a template, The Heap (which Hillman Periodicals published from 1942-53), underwent an unauthorized revival by a very minor publisher at just about the same time.'

Further info on Mr. Heap

I was curious as to the dates on "The Heap" vs "It". Toonopedia clearly states that "It" was written in 1940 which gives it a 2 year head start on Hillman's version of "The Heap". I had trouble verifiying this as almost every source I found only listed when "It" was published in book form (1948). However, I finally found a listing of Sturgeons short stories which listed "It" as appearing in an issue of the pulp magazine "Unknown" in 1940. SO in that sense I guess we can all thank Theodore Sturgeon for the Heap,Man-thing,and the Swamp Thing.

I was curious as to the dates on "The Heap" vs "It". Toonopedia clearly states that "It" was written in 1940 which gives it a 2 year head start on Hillman's version of "The Heap". I had trouble verifiying this as almost every source I found only listed when "It" was published in book form (1948). However, I finally found a listing of Sturgeons short stories which listed "It" as appearing in an issue of the pulp magazine "Unknown" in 1940. SO in that sense I guess we can all thank Theodore Sturgeon for the Heap,Man-thing,and the Swamp Thing.

thumbsup2.gif

Excellent research, Red!

A liitle more info on The Heap,It,and Theodore Sturgeon

The Current State of The Heap...

--------------------------------------------

Heap is currently owned by Todd McCfarlane (Todd purchased Eclipses properties) and first appeared under his new license in Spawn #73. His origin was entirely reworked and bears no resemblance to his Airboy Origin. The Heap is now some tortured reincarnation of a homeless man (Eddie Beckett) who died while in contact with Spawns Protoplasm. One good thing to come from this is that McCFarlane released a toy version of the Heap .

theheap.jpg

-------------------------------------------

Theodore Sturgeon Asides...

It:

Comic Book adaptation in Marvel Supernatural Thrillers #1.

Cover by Steranko/-script By Roy Thomas,Art by Marie Severin.

Other Sturgeon Comic/Mag adaptations...

KillDozer:

Comic Book Adaptation, Marvel Worlds Unknown #6, Marvel Comics, April 1974

Microcosmic God :

Comic Book Adaptation, Starstream #3, 1976

The Fabulous insufficiently_thoughtful_person:

[Graphic Story Version], Douglas Moench and Alex Nino, Heavy Metal, June, July and August 1978

More Than Human:

Heavy Metal Presents Theodore Sturgeon's More Than Human, Simon and Schuster, July 1978

Honorable Mention (mag)

------------------------

And Sturgeons name made it into the title of a Marvel Sci-Fi mag,

Unknown worlds of science fiction #1 (Theodore sturgeon lives) 1976

I love this cover:

647920-heap2.jpg

All these Airboy covers are beautiful but I agree this is the nicest so far! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for posting as I never have seen these before.

BTW: Is the green knight trying to smash the Heap or that demon bat thing?