• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FCC @ INDIANA COMIC CON REPORT

48 posts in this topic

Hey Tim, just got done talking with Matt he said I can have any book I want with 50 % off lol Question are you guys the very first ever foreign comic book dealers to do this ?! I don't go to much of comic cons out there, but if I start seeing this kind of trend take place,I might just start enjoying to go to one ;)

I'll post my FCC#1 when I get to the office shortly, after I catch-up on a few hundred emails & phone calls in my other businesses.
:applause:

It was a great weekend overall for FCC. We weren't selling anything, just promoting the magazine. If I had been selling books I could have easily gone home with 2-3K in my pocket. There were that many people interested. I think you guys did a great job of correcting problems when they arose and (depending on my schedule) look forward to coming back next year.

I don't recall if I mentioned it before but there was one dealer (Josh) who had two long boxes of foreign books. He said that normally on a busy Saturday at a con he'd do about $200 in sales out of those two boxes. He did that much on Friday and his weekend take, just from his two boxes of foreign editions, totaled about $1400 and the majority of what he had to offer was more modern stuff, although he did have some Copper and Bronze books. IMO this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the comic collecting populace views these books as more than just reprints in another language, from another country. Foreign publishers have been adapting American comic books for their own markets going back as far as the 1940s and many of those books are just as old as their US counterparts within a time frame ranging as close as 3 months to the original publication dates here in the States. On top of that, the print runs were (in many cases) much lower, climate conditions in those countries are not conducive to preserving paper and there wasn't (and in certain cases still isn't) any access to bags and boards. Collectors in those countries also weren't and sometimes still aren't concerned with grades so sometimes finding books in Fine or better can be a considerable challenge. There is unquestionably a market in the US for foreign editions and it's time for American dealers to start taking them seriously. 2c

I was pretty blown away by the response for sure..... also Sean and Tupenny were some real cool boardie cats! :gossip:

There was also a cultural heritage element we ran into very strongly at least 3 times with people. More on that later...... (thumbs u

Hey Tim, just got done talking with Matt he said I can have any book I want with 50 % off lol Question are you guys the very first ever foreign comic book dealers to do this ?! I don't go to much of comic cons out there, but if I start seeing this kind of trend take place,I might just start enjoying to go to one ;)

Ronnie you crazy my man! lol

Well... we made it very clear we were not selling anything to most people right away. The whole purpose of the booth was magazine promotion. But like Tim said earlier I believe.... if we had been selling we could have made a killing! :screwy: Josh Goes from Pulp Culture comics and collectables had a killer show. He made a brisk business selling mostly modern foreigns along with signed modern CGC'd foreigns.

We shot some video at the show which includes a interview with Josh about his experience as a dealer actively pushing/selling foreigns. I hope to find the time edit it soon.... :wishluck:

Honestly I think the fastest growing segment of the foreign market right now might be the modern CGC sig market? Who knows? (shrug) All I know for sure is it was heck of alot of fun. Tim, LScomics and his girl Diane opened their home to me and were wonderful hosts! They are the real deal for sure! Hit the local corner bar and had some drinks which was a blast as well on Sunday night...... :headbang:

That pic is the wallpaper on my phone.

Dude... I showed up to Tims house and was checking out his stuff.... that book is so nice in hand its crazy! I actually contemplated running out of his house clutching it in my cold geeky clammy hands. :facepalm:

Then I remembered he owns multiple firearms and knows how to use them.... so I thought better of it..... :roflmao:

I love that all-black Spidey 300.

Yea, I had a funny sorta -script I was using at the show with this book! lol Id ask the collectors that were eyeballing the Mexican 300 we had on display for the raffle a question. I would ask them if they liked the classic McFarlane 300 artwork. Most would say hellz yea I like it.... hm

I would then tell them my opinion that a foreign publisher actually handled Venoms 1st appearance better from a design/philosophical standpoint. My opinion of course...... Most would say "really"? I would then bust out my copy which was not on display and people tripped! lol The Luomo ragno cover is better imagined and designed.... an all black cover behind the Spidey circle, symbolizing the symbiote covering everything with only the menacing venom lettering. Personally Id like to see the red lettering gone as well..... hm

Spider-Man300compare.jpg

This is book that brings out the hoard reflex in me.... I have 4 and am always looking for more.... not interested in selling any either as crazy as it sounds! Might try sending 2 of the higher graded ones for grading at some point. Its a great foreign key and is one hell of a book to pop on some Copper collectors... :gossip:

italian300hoard.jpg

Other than seeing it here on the boards, I know nothing about the book. What is the price range on it?

Well that can depend.... hm Here in the American market I have seen fines go for 70 dollars on ebay very quickly. At a con or on a dealer wall I could have very easily asked a hundred for the one I had possibly 200 to the right collector. At Ebay Italy I have picked them up for as cheap as 7 euros or as high as 25 euros for exceptional copies. The difficult thing is finding them in better conditions above fine. The all black cover is tough, and one of the books I have was shipped to me in a manila envelop across the pond with no protection if you can believe it. For the most part the Italian collectors and dealers have no understanding of the condition obsessiveness we have here.

When and if this book explodes on the markets here premiums will be paid for books in the VF range and above. There just are not that many that survived in those conditions. 2c

Other than seeing it here on the boards, I know nothing about the book. What is the price range on it?

I'll sell your my copy for a measly $300. hm

And actually honestly.... this early in the game this could be a reasonable price for a book with so much future value potential especially if its a nice one. hm The nice thing about purchasing one here in the states is you can be confidant the book will ship in one piece and will not drop a few grades in the shipping from Italy because a seller there has no clue about stiffening protection. 2c

I'll sell your my copy for a measly $300. hm

And actually honestly.... this early in the game this could be a reasonable price for a book with so much future value potential especially if its a nice one. hm The nice thing about purchasing one here in the states is you can be confidant the book will ship in one piece and will not drop a few grades in the shipping from Italy because a seller there has no clue about stiffening protection. 2c

Then again it really is a right collector/right book kinda thing......