• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are creators careful when handling your books for signing

43 posts in this topic

Just curious, since I couldn't find another thread on this. I'm getting some stuff signed by Stan Lee J Scott Campbell Ethan Van Sciver and Darwin Cooke next weekend. If there are issues are there anything you can do to negate such a thing. Appreciate the input.

Look at the post in the signature room chat board on how to prep our books with window bags. It goes into making / placement of signature windows & labeling of books. As long as you prep your books & leave enough room for the signatures you should be fine

I just got a sketch from Mark Bode. When I went back to his table to check on the status of it, I literally found the book under his shoe as he was stepping all over it, like he just tossed it right on the ground after I left. I asked the lady he was with if he could kindly remove his shoe from atop the book and they both apologized as she picked it up. doh!

The sketch did come out nice but when he was done he also removed it from the prepped bag and was trying to stand the book up on the table with nothing behind it so he could snap a cover pic, he finally got his pic after it fell over 3 or 4 times. :pullhair:

Still waiting on the grade. :wishluck:

So no unfortunately most of them do not really care. But those are the chances we take, I guess all you can do is prepare the book as best as possible and if the mood is right maybe ask them to handle with care. :)

Even the creators who care simply do not know how to handle them. I find it is rare for creators to even have a completely flat surface to sign. Celebrity signings that is the reason they are there and have a large flat surface to sign. Creators are not there to sign books. It is part of what they do while they are there. There are exceptions but this is generally what I have seen.

I had everything prep and good to go. But Lauren from the Walking Dead was kind to smeared her autograph all over the cover and resign it. Good for her but not for me. Grade drop because of that :(

This is just my opinion, but I think as a whole they don't seem to like that portion of the business/hobby . Some even seemed very annoyed when a collector had their book prepped for a signature.

They are getting better about being careful when they sign books now. At least at that last two shows I went to they even asked me for placement and if I cared about condition which I didn't because I wasn't slabbing them.

Now i'm kind of glad I send my books with my LCS. If I saw creators mishandle my books, I would not be pleased. I do understand that some of them don't like the fact that a lot of books they sign go straight onto ebay, but that shouldn't matter considering we pay for their signatures, and what we do with it afterward is our business.

Gunnz

This is just my opinion, but I think as a whole they don't seem to like that portion of the business/hobby . Some even seemed very annoyed when a collector had their book prepped for a signature.

If you look at it from their side can you blame them? They may have a long line of fans who really want to talk to them, get a sketch, thank them or make a memory. Then some guy shows up with a stack of prepared books and plops them down in front of them. To each their own for collecting, but it kills the usual interaction.

Also, from my anecdotal observations, the people with prepared books tend to be very disinterested in everything accept how the creator handles the book.