• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #334-339: Return of the Sinister Six

45 posts in this topic

I am contemplating trying to pick these up since the movies are bringing the Sinister Six to the screen. Would you say this set would be the next major Sinister Six story after ASM Annual #1?

I also think this may be the most classic lineup of the Sinister Six as well. I was a big fan of the crappy Nintendo game that was impossible to beat. Especially since it used ASM #337's cover.

So here's the question…

As pointed out, these are still $1 bin books…I've seen them $3-$6 raw in HG. Is it best to buy them raw in HG and submit them hoping for a good 9.6 or 9.8 or is it better to buy them already graded 9.6-9.8 for around $50-$60 each?

Keep in mind, this is more than a simple "is it better to buy raw or graded" question, that can be argued all day and is up to personal risk and preference. This is solely dependent on "investment":

One, we know the Sinister Six are coming, strongly hinted in this next movie.

Two, if this movie and it's follow ups will be hits.

Three, will these books even rise in value after the movies' success? Like I said earlier, these are not the first Spider-Man vs Sinister Six battles (I believe the second…), but this is the best S6 lineup and this was kind of an epic battle…taking six issues to complete.

Four, save some money by buying lower 9 slabs…9.2…9.4…just in case...

Interesting thought. It is their 2nd appearance. They are $1 bin books too.

This whole concept of 1$ bin books kills me. Frankly, I've never seen anything that approaches UHG (9.6-9.8) in a pawed through bin-box :insane:

So here's the question…

As pointed out, these are still $1 bin books…I've seen them $3-$6 raw in HG. Is it best to buy them raw in HG and submit them hoping for a good 9.6 or 9.8 or is it better to buy them already graded 9.6-9.8 for around $50-$60 each?

If you know how to grade, it is always a better idea to buy books raw.

I can understand your quandary. It is an almost $6 investment. Best to be sure first. :baiting:

You have $6 I can "borrow"?

Interesting thought. It is their 2nd appearance. They are $1 bin books too.

This whole concept of 1$ bin books kills me. Frankly, I've never seen anything that approaches UHG (9.6-9.8) in a pawed through bin-box :insane:

1. My shop replenishes the boxes regularly

2. Not everyone needs a 9.8 book or even cares what grade they are in.

Movie price spikes have not affected later appearances with the fervor that it affects 1st appearances. It may provide a bump, but not enough to really expend resources seeking them out.

I might grab them cheap. I'd never actually read them though. Erik Larsen art makes my eyes bleed.

The art is particularly brutal on these issues. By this point, he had established his own style for the book, instead of implementing some McFarlane into it.

I'd buy them from the dollar bin as opposed to graded copies.

Movie price spikes have not affected later appearances with the fervor that it affects 1st appearances. It may provide a bump, but not enough to really expend resources seeking them out.

Hulk 271, Marvel Spotlight 6 & 7, among others, disagree with that.

And the thing with these ASM issues are they are still affordable compared to ASM Annual #1. I'm pretty sure these will see some kind of price spike when the movies get going just because these will be at a more accommodating price to begin with.

No they won't see a spike in price. And it's not even the same sinister six that they are going to use in the movies. Sandman and Hobgoblin won't be involved for sure.

Also, just a personal sidenote: this arc was so bad it made me finally stop collecting spiderman back in the day. Just painful to look at.

Hulk 271, Marvel Spotlight 6 & 7, among others, disagree with that.

271 is 1st appearance in comics and there has never been a spike for 6 and 7. Thanks for playing, though. Even if your response were well-reasoned or correct, those would simply have been exceptions that prove the rule for innumerable second appearances that don't spike.

I can understand your quandary. It is an almost $6 investment. Best to be sure first. :baiting:

And you know better? lol

I know that I'm not starting a thread to ask whether I should spend $6 on anything.

And you know better? lol

I know that I'm not starting a thread to ask whether I should spend $6 on anything.

I didn't start a thread asking if I should spend $6…go back and re-read what I'm talking about because you keep making asinine comments about something you clearly have not read.

Anyways…I think I'm going to go the raw route. I picked these up on ebay for $16 shipped, which is cheaper than I've seen at any comic shop here. If they start picking up in price, I may get them graded then, if not, no biggie, it was only $16 bucks.