• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine Grading Questions .....
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have several vintage Sports Illustrated's I would like to send to CGC. How does CGC treat/grade magazines with shipping labels ? Do they downgrade them for having a mailing label ? If the label is removed with no residue is this considered altered ?

Thanks !

On 3/19/2014 at 7:13 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I have several vintage Sports Illustrated's I would like to send to CGC. How does CGC treat/grade magazines with shipping labels ? Do they downgrade them for having a mailing label ? If the label is removed with no residue is this considered altered ?

Thanks !

If you look in the CGC census you'll see the first section is populated with newsstand issues and right below that are you subscription issues that have been graded.  I can tell you there is very little value in grading subscription issues because Sports Illustrated has said they produced 2.5 mil to 3 mil copies of each issue.  However, or 2%-3% of those were newsstand...so the collecting value is all in newsstand.  I hope this helps!

On 2/25/2021 at 8:55 AM, Hiram Melendez said:

Hello. I have the first issue of sports illustrated from 1954 and it comes with a mailer. Can cgc grade the mailer aside from the magazine?

Thank you 

20210222_212928.jpg

I've never seen one of these before.  What is it?  It doesn't look like the first SI issue which looks like this pic below.  Also, what is that issue encapsulated in some way?  What's the covering around the magazine? 

image.png.08add0420f6580df36726f14442c496b.png

1 hour ago, Ken Tarmac said:

I've never seen one of these before.  What is it?  It doesn't look like the first SI issue which looks like this pic below.  Also, what is that issue encapsulated in some way?  What's the covering around the magazine? 

image.png.08add0420f6580df36726f14442c496b.png

Good ole Stan Musial. Now he could play ball.😎