• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hero for Hire #1 - very hard to find in high grade...thoughts?

44 posts in this topic

So I was looking at some of my comics earlier today and while staring at my 9.4 Hero for Hire 1...I realized I have never ever ever never ever seen a 9.6 copy up for sale. Has anyone? Does anyone know of a copy? Census shows only 4 - I'm shocked there aren't more of them...even Ghost Rider has 7 of them...

Interesting!!!

I'd guess part of the problem is there just isn't a huge news flash that people should take these in and get them CGC'd cause they're valuable. It was one of those books that has lavished for almost ever in the back issue bins. frown.gif

Brian

Forget about why there aren't anymore, why isn't that book in MY collection. I only got a pidley 9.2 copy! Jeff, this book wasn't widely collected and it's a friggin' black cover! Enuff said! tongue.gif

You have to go all the way back to May of 2002 for the only 9.6 copy to have been auctioned off on eBay in the last 9 months. It brought $780.

There have been 3 auctions of 9.4 copies, all last October and November. They might have been relistings of the same book, don't know for sure. They brought $401, $504, and $375 respectively.

The opportunity to notice this book's value should have already happened Brian...

Mine cost me $600 close to 2 years ago. An ebay auction by Motor City that had a $600 opening bid. I tried to get it for less after the auction ended with no bids... but no go... so I coughed up for it.

A good friend (musicmeta) bought one off Ebay (a 9.6 W) for $780 on May 10th

A 3rd... also a 9.6 W is in the hands of another guy I've worked with... can't get it from him even with a $700 offer. I tried to get the PQ upgrade and the "compare opportunity"

My guess the 4th is in the collection of one of the several affluent mega HG collectors.

There has been about 5-6 9.4 sales (both on Ebay and privately) that have averaged about $450...that's enough favorable 9.4/9.6 sales for people to get the idea that there is money to be made on the book. I don't think there's many out there. Not saying I've never been wrong... but I feel more confident on this one.

I hear you... but those books are a bit more high profile, so more showing up is more likely. There's less HFH fans out there and there was "probably" a bit less hoarding of the book I'd guess.

Although MS 5 in 9.4 is certainly more available now, as I pointed out, some of the copies are the same ones circulating a few times. I'm not saying there are only a handful out there, but there appears to be more than there actually is due to the frequent swapping IMHO.

I don't recall too many MP15 9.6's either... Only (3) of them were sold since CGC started out of (6) copies graded... and still been no 9.8 for sale with only (1) in the census. I guess he's holding (poor Sully)

Of course there will be more HFH 1 9.6's, but I think the number will stay below MS 5 and MP 15... time will tell.

Ghost Rider really only picked up after the series started. The Marvel Spotlight book was a throw-away title. It didn't have a large print run and I think it really only appealed to a few bronze marvel horror fans at the time.

Anyways, the first CGC 9.4 of this book went for 800 dollars. After that nothing, then slowly another..then slowly some more..it takes time :\

Brian

I think that with Hero1 and MP15 alot of people are just not aware of the premiums they can get. Alot of people who collected a while back but have been out of the hobby for a while still have no clue what CGC is. And unless you are looking for these books or catch them on Ebay, you may not know how high they go in high grade. In Overstreet, they book at $70 and $75 in 9.4, so if you don't know they sell for 5 times that you would be hard pressed to pay 50% of book price to get them graded.

PS, for those of you who follow the census number for number, I have a Marvel Premiere 15 in 9.4, but it was mistakenly labled Iron Fist 15, so you can change the numbers accordingly. My dealer hasn't gotten around to sending it in yet to get it fixed.

Hey Vic,

That argument can be used across the board for newer CGC collectors and the oblivous... and also with items that may have only sold once or twice thus remaining under the radar.

I was pointing out that there have been enough sales of HFH 1 in my opinion to tip off the people that are already involved in CGC buying and selling to get their NM copies to CGC. There were at least (5) 9.4 sales at about a $450 avg. and (2) 9.6's spanning the last 2 years.

That's the thing though. MS 5 9.4's trickled in real slow at the beginning selling for over 750 dollars. That "should" have made the trickle turn into a stream, but it wasn't until about 5 months later until 9.4's started showing up more easily.

Brian