• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May Auction

827 posts in this topic

The one dude in the green hat looks kind of bakerish to me? Perhaps, perhaps not?

I thought the guy in the yellow hat in the lower right corner also has a Bakerish (Bakeristic? Bakerful?) profile. hm

I think you guys are reaching.It looks like whoever did the cover art on many DS publications at the time.

Sorry to be late to the part but there were Church Duck books in the original collection. I purchased several directly from Chuck at SD in the early eighties. I still own the FC159 as well as well as the FC 108. Never had them graded. They are both in very high grade.

I decided to go back directly into Chuck`s recollection of finding the Church collection, as I had this strong memory of him saying that there were no Duck books in the collection, but then realized what he said was that there were very few humour books. I guess I had always assumed that Duck books were part of the humour books since no one seemed to know anything about Church Duck books.

I`m glad to hear they exist!

Gerber's Photo-Journal Guide states "[...] He purchased virtually every "serious" comic book from 1939 to 1953. He generally did not purchase the "funny" books, like the Dell Publishing comics, or funny animal character comics. [...]".

Thanks for clarifying this, Joe. Some of us were surprised by the Four Colors at Heritage since both Rozansky and Gerber had stated pretty much the same thing and since Mile High Comics' 1977 catalog didn't contain a single Four Color.

Sorry to be late to the part but there were Church Duck books in the original collection. I purchased several directly from Chuck at SD in the early eighties. I still own the FC159 as well as well as the FC 108. Never had them graded. They are both in very high grade.

I decided to go back directly into Chuck`s recollection of finding the Church collection, as I had this strong memory of him saying that there were no Duck books in the collection, but then realized what he said was that there were very few humour books. I guess I had always assumed that Duck books were part of the humour books since no one seemed to know anything about Church Duck books.

I`m glad to hear they exist!

Gerber's Photo-Journal Guide states "[...] He purchased virtually every "serious" comic book from 1939 to 1953. He generally did not purchase the "funny" books, like the Dell Publishing comics, or funny animal character comics. [...]".

Thanks for clarifying this, Joe. Some of us were surprised by the Four Colors at Heritage since both Rozansky and Gerber had stated pretty much the same thing and since Mile High Comics' 1977 catalog didn't contain a single Four Color.

This is great information that at least those two still exist.

One thing that is new to me in all of this is that the Church collection had at least one major title that was excluded from the 1977 list and yet Rozansky sold parts of it in the early 1980s. I was aware that the list was incomplete because some books already had been sold when it was assembled. I can think of a lot of reasons as to what might have transpired, but the whole thing probably just serves as reminder that comic book history is a rather inexact science.

I think this has all been covered at one time or another in various threads in the forums, but for those who may have missed it:

Chuck mentions in his "Tales from the Database" that his original investor, who he doesn't name, gave Chuck money to partially fund the purchase of the Church collection. In exchange he was able to purchase Church books at 40% guide. Chuck mentions that this collector bought funny animal books; no mention if these were Ducks, but Chuck does say this collector later sold his books to Geppi in about 1986. Whatever this collector didn't buy may easily have ended up in the early shows after Chuck started selling them, and where Joe All Star purchased them.

Chuck mentions that there was one room in Church's basement that was empty except for one shelf of pulps. He speculates that the heirs cleaned this room before contacting Chuck and that this room was where the bulk of the humor books may have been. The Heritage FCs and Joe All Stars confirmation that the Church collection had some Duck books lends credence to this. Dells were the largest selling comics for most of the time Church was collecting. It seems odd that he would only have a few-- if he disliked them he would probably have had none; otherwise, you'd expect him to have had many more.

It's great, and was a surprise for many, that the FCs popped up unexpectedly at the Heritage auction. It's also great to think there may be more collections out there like Joe All Stars, large and small, that have Church copies that have gone under the radar for so many years.