• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Pressing Grade Increases You've Seen?

55 posts in this topic

I've straight up subbed 8.5's and gotten 9.4's

I'm a firm believer that books have grade ranges as opposed to absolute grades, but that's a bit disturbing, especially if supposedly using the same grading criteria.

I'm assuming you resubbed because you felt the original grade was too tight, but if it's not too indelicate a question, did you feel the subsequent grade was too loose?

I'm a firm believer that books have grade ranges as opposed to absolute grades, but that's a bit disturbing, especially if supposedly using the same grading criteria.

I'm assuming you resubbed because you felt the original grade was too tight, but if it's not too indelicate a question, did you feel the subsequent grade was too loose?

Feel better in the fact that I wasn't CGC but PGA, pre PGX that did the original grading incorrectly. The books were 9.4's IMO. :cloud9:

Feel better in the fact that I wasn't CGC but PGA, pre PGX that did the original grading incorrectly. The books were 9.4's IMO. :cloud9:

(thumbs u I'm aware that PGA had a reputation for being extremely tight on high grade books back in the day, so that is less surprising. As someone once told me years ago, being a tighter grader doesn't always mean you're a better grader.

(thumbs u I'm aware that PGA had a reputation for being extremely tight on high grade books back in the day, so that is less surprising. As someone once told me years ago, being a tighter grader doesn't always mean you're a better grader.

Perhaps not. However, the tighter graders are generally the better (from a buyers perspective) comic sellers.

Perhaps not. However, the tighter graders are generally the better (from a buyers perspective) comic sellers.

That I can't deny.

Just sent in an x-men 12 with massive spine roll (used css with three others that were part of my coupon submission ) - would probably be a 4.0 without pressing. Will post results once it gets back. Not expecting a huge bump as there was creasing issues as well - but should be an easy 5. Also did a hulk 182 that looks to have only pressible issues (would probably be a 7.5).

so - in six weeks will have some good recent results

I'm interested to see if you actually get them back in six weeks (even just graded). Best of luck with the grades.

Close (just marked as shipped yesterday) - CGC was slow on the grading - this was standard (coupon) submission.

IF I can get good scans of the slaps - I will post them when they arrive.

Submissions -

X-Men 14 (lol - I did not realize I had "12" listed in the spare a grade post) -

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=50&Number=7508945&Searchpage=2&Main=332951&Words=W16227&topic=0&Search=true#Post7508945

board consensus was around a 3 - spine roll and lots of color breaks.

CGC: 5.0

:banana:

Very happy with this. The spine roll was pretty big and there is definitely spine wear.

Hulk 180 and 182

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=50&Number=7541746&Searchpage=2&Main=334297&Words=W16227&topic=0&Search=true#Post7541746

180 - board ratings were a little high to me. The book was in nice shape - but there was some wrinkling and non color breaking spine tics that I do not think showed on the scans.

Board averaged - 9.2

CGS:: 9.2

VERY happy.

Hulk 182

Board had this around 8.5 (one guy nailed it). This was a book I broke out of a GCG slab - was a 7.5.

This is a good example of knowing what to look for. I am no expert in this - but thanks to the board here I can see recognize a lot of the pressable defects. This one had many non color breaking spine tics - and one fairly large dent with no splits ot color breaks. I think that the dent was not that visible in the scans - thus some higher grades than the original slab.

Regardless -

CGC: 9.2!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

YAY!!!!!!!!

So - older silver age with spine roll as major issue jumped at least 2 grades (4.0 or lower to a 5.0 )

Hulk 180 with unknown improvement (but I take a 9.2 on that book any day)

Hulk 182 7.5 to a 9.2

Just sent in an x-men 12 with massive spine roll (used css with three others that were part of my coupon submission ) - would probably be a 4.0 without pressing. Will post results once it gets back. Not expecting a huge bump as there was creasing issues as well - but should be an easy 5. Also did a hulk 182 that looks to have only pressible issues (would probably be a 7.5).

so - in six weeks will have some good recent results

I'm interested to see if you actually get them back in six weeks (even just graded). Best of luck with the grades.

Close (just marked as shipped yesterday) - CGC was slow on the grading - this was standard (coupon) submission.

IF I can get good scans of the slaps - I will post them when they arrive.

Submissions -

X-Men 14 (lol - I did not realize I had "12" listed in the spare a grade post) -

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=50&Number=7508945&Searchpage=2&Main=332951&Words=W16227&topic=0&Search=true#Post7508945

board consensus was around a 3 - spine roll and lots of color breaks.

CGC: 5.0

:banana:

Very happy with this. The spine roll was pretty big and there is definitely spine wear.

Hulk 180 and 182

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=50&Number=7541746&Searchpage=2&Main=334297&Words=W16227&topic=0&Search=true#Post7541746

180 - board ratings were a little high to me. The book was in nice shape - but there was some wrinkling and non color breaking spine tics that I do not think showed on the scans.

Board averaged - 9.2

CGS:: 9.2

VERY happy.

Hulk 182

Board had this around 8.5 (one guy nailed it). This was a book I broke out of a GCG slab - was a 7.5.

This is a good example of knowing what to look for. I am no expert in this - but thanks to the board here I can see recognize a lot of the pressable defects. This one had many non color breaking spine tics - and one fairly large dent with no splits ot color breaks. I think that the dent was not that visible in the scans - thus some higher grades than the original slab.

Regardless -

CGC: 9.2!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

YAY!!!!!!!!

So - older silver age with spine roll as major issue jumped at least 2 grades (4.0 or lower to a 5.0 )

Hulk 182 7.5 to a 9.2

Congrats, would love to see a picture of how that X-men 14 came out.

I'm not really worried about pressing or dry cleaning. I just sent my first batch to Joey as well. I sent him some mid/lower grade, lower value stuff with some major issues and one with just a few minor issues (but maybe worse than I thought (shrug) ) . One has been previously graded by CGC and was cracked out 13 years ago and the other grades were "estimated" via "Hey buddy, can you spare me a grade?" We'll see how they come back.

To me, cleaning and pressing is really like waxing, detailing and tuning up an all-original classic car. Would you leave the car in the garage for 40, 50 or 60 years and then take it directly to a show...with money on the line? Hell no!!! You'll make it look the best you can. Will you repaint, no...but you'll wax! Will you replace the engine, no...but you'll tune it up! It's just not restoration, it's presentation and preservation! There is a difference. Anyway, can any one of us not blame ourselves for the push toward this process? We all (or most of us anyway) strive for the best graded copy we can attain. Naturally, that drives up prices and increases demand for higher grades. So, the people looking to sell want to amass the greatest profit, so they press and clean. A 9.4 is worth a large percentage more than a 7.5, so if you can get it there without full-on resto...why not? On that same note, if I have a 4.0 and can get a 6.5 with a clean and a press...I say more power to ya! I personally would rather have a blue label pressed to a 9.4 and looking clean and sharp over a "natural" blue 7.5. That being said, I'd rather have a dirty blue label 7.5 rather than a purple 9.4! Just my 2c !

I just got one back this week from the submission I mentioned in the above post that was pressed by Joey. It was a CGC 4.0 when it was cracked from the case years ago. He worked his magic and brought it up 2.5 points to a 6.5!!! (worship) I was very pleased!!! :whee: What's ironic is that I actually called the grade increase in my previous post!! It's highlighted in red in my quoted post!! I must possess EGP... Extra Grading Perception!! I wonder if CGC could use a grading psychic?

At one time, it is extremely rare to see few points jumping after pressing or not.

I had Brave and Bold #54 with the old label at 8.5 off white to white pages. Of course it was pressed that resulted 9.2 WHITE PAGES! That was 2 points jump!

Also I had Wings Comics #34 with the old label at 7.0 with same page quality. Had it pressed. When I cracked the case, I saw it was heavy writing impression area on the front cover (all in numbers). After pressing, all impression marks were nearly disappeared that resulted 9.0 with WHITE PAGES! It became the highest single on the census. It was sold for $495. I paid for this only $37. It was the most trick I had ever seen -- I would not able to see the impressions inside the case until I opened it!

The other hand, I experienced few grade bumps with ASM #7 at 7.0 old label. I discovered the hidden stain on the inside front cover that I would not see it before I cracked the case. It went down to 6.0 after Stan Lee's signature. Sold for about $100 less than what I paid but Stan Lee's signature was my little help.

The worst one I ever experienced with the grade dropping by 3 points in my whole life since I became a CGC member. I had X-Men #94 CGC 9.0 with white pages. I was kind of too late that I discovered few creases at the top edges after cracking the case. It was hard to see it inside the case. It dropped to 7.5 so I tried to sell it at the high price than averaged 90 days history in GPAnalysis to prevent the big loss. Sold it and it was $75 less than I bought for. Not bad. That was three years ago before the price went up.

Finding the defects inside the case can be deceived.

I'm not really worried about pressing or dry cleaning. I just sent my first batch to Joey as well. I sent him some mid/lower grade, lower value stuff with some major issues and one with just a few minor issues (but maybe worse than I thought (shrug) ) . One has been previously graded by CGC and was cracked out 13 years ago and the other grades were "estimated" via "Hey buddy, can you spare me a grade?" We'll see how they come back.

To me, cleaning and pressing is really like waxing, detailing and tuning up an all-original classic car. Would you leave the car in the garage for 40, 50 or 60 years and then take it directly to a show...with money on the line? Hell no!!! You'll make it look the best you can. Will you repaint, no...but you'll wax! Will you replace the engine, no...but you'll tune it up! It's just not restoration, it's presentation and preservation! There is a difference. Anyway, can any one of us not blame ourselves for the push toward this process? We all (or most of us anyway) strive for the best graded copy we can attain. Naturally, that drives up prices and increases demand for higher grades. So, the people looking to sell want to amass the greatest profit, so they press and clean. A 9.4 is worth a large percentage more than a 7.5, so if you can get it there without full-on resto...why not? On that same note, if I have a 4.0 and can get a 6.5 with a clean and a press...I say more power to ya! I personally would rather have a blue label pressed to a 9.4 and looking clean and sharp over a "natural" blue 7.5. That being said, I'd rather have a dirty blue label 7.5 rather than a purple 9.4! Just my 2c !

I just got one back this week from the submission I mentioned in the above post that was pressed by Joey. It was a CGC 4.0 when it was cracked from the case years ago. He worked his magic and brought it up 2.5 points to a 6.5!!! (worship) I was very pleased!!! :whee: What's ironic is that I actually called the grade increase in my previous post!! It's highlighted in red in my quoted post!! I must possess EGP... Extra Grading Perception!! I wonder if CGC could use a grading psychic?

:news: Update :news:

Here's the old label...

29o2610.jpg

Here's the new one...attached to the book!!

24q0848.jpg

Hulk 182 7.5 to a 9.2

updated the PGM threads with the slab scans

scans on page 2 of each thread.

The hulk 182 was an impressive jump - the existing defects were mostly non color breaking.

The X-Men 14 - is wicked. The staples have some stress issues - otherwise it is a REAL clean looking 5. That spine roll is GONE - it looks like the most stressed line was the original spine. The cover and inner pages line up very well now.

pressing was CSS

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7508139#Post7508139

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=50&Number=7687049&Searchpage=1&Main=334297&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post7687049