• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did the ASM J. Scott Campbell Hype start?

55 posts in this topic

Why are the Amazing Spider-Man issues with Mary Jane and Black Cat Covers drawn by J. Scott Campbell so much in demand now? It seems the hype started overnight a few months back or is it already going on much longer? Did I miss something that initiated the hype? Yes, the covers look nice but are they really so special compared to other Mary Jane or Black Cat covers?

I'm just curious because it looks like it happend so fast, but maybe it's just me and I was living under a rock the last few years :shy:

They've been quietly in demand for a few years. It seems it just got out on the boards not that long ago, but I've been grabbing them when I see them for the last 2-3 years because they've always easily been $15-20 books on eBay.

They've always gone for a little bit, there is a ton of speculation money looking anywhere it can find to go nuts, (especially after everything dried up last year). It only takes a handful of people all with the same notion to create self-fulfilling prophecies.

JSC is a great artist. His work has tons of detail and he can make any woman in a comic look attractive (not that many struggle with it). One time look past the girls on the cover and look at all the detail. I've heard the reason he rarely, if ever, does interiors is because he is so slow.

For example (excuse the bad pic) but look at all the detail here:

cd9889d8-fbdf-4510-aa93-7e8fedbc67c6_zps3f673c47.jpg

Girls love his covers. I'm at MegaCon and the girls have more books to sign then most of the guys. Plus he does a lot of work for Disney. So he is known outside comic circles as well. They sell his stuff at Disneyland..

I saw this at SDCC. Saw quite a few Campbell fans who bought his original Disney art at Disneyland and brought it to SDCC for him to sign. There also Campbell art collectors not just Campbell comic collectors.

I don't know what caused the hype around his covers but it has blossomed into a small pocket market on ebay. He draws very much like a Disney artist. Very, very long ( like 8' tall ) bodies with tiny wrist, waist, and ankles. I'm somewhat perplexed by the people who like Campbell and dislike Ramos ( no stone throwing please :grin: ) as nether artist understands proportion. Michael Turner ( I really miss him ) fit into this type of exaggerated proportion style. Please understand that I like them all, I've just noticed that people are kind of biased on this on who they view with favorable opinions.

I don't know what caused the hype around his covers but it has blossomed into a small pocket market on ebay. He draws very much like a Disney artist. Very, very long ( like 8' tall ) bodies with tiny wrist, waist, and ankles. I'm somewhat perplexed by the people who like Campbell and dislike Ramos ( no stone throwing please :grin: ) as nether artist understands proportion. Michael Turner ( I really miss him ) fit into this type of exaggerated proportion style. Please understand that I like them all, I've just noticed that people are kind of biased on this on who they view with favorable opinions.

i love turner, saw a 10.0 3x signed of his Civil War 1 variant sold for $1300 on ebay last week, after failing to sell at $1200 for weeks before that.

I figure its someone hoping Civil War gets made into the MCU, in some fashion

JSC makes his characters attractive, Ramos makes them look like they escaped from a mental institution.

RAMOS:

ams700_bad_maryjane.jpg

2462919-ramos_zpsee349dab.jpg

CAMPBELL:

67428790282e6281718e982c7b276dab.jpg

bbe2e7158f0db64bc4d8d273d6621463.jpg

And yes, I used extreme examples of both to make my point in my favor :grin:

Thanks for the input! The popularity because of the Disney stuff makes senses too. I didn't know much about that, to be honest I didn't know much about Campbell at all. I have all of his ASM books only because I collect ASM.

So when those books suddenly turned up here in the selling area with such high prices I was surprised and curious why ASM books from the last 10 years would sell for that much. Nice to hear that people from other collection areas are buying comic books just because they like the artist (thumbs u

He's no Adam Hughes

To a degree Adam Hughes is no J. Scott Campbell.

It's such a subjective statement of pure opinion... Debates have gone on in every industry and every generation... Kirby VS Ditko; Perez VS Byrne; Romita VS Buscema; Pearl Jam VS Nirvana; Beatles VS Rolling Stones; 2Pac VS Biggie; Mac VS PC; Burger King VS McDonalds; etc. - - There's no right nor wrong, better or worst, people like what they like and let 'em be without criticism.

I'd say J. Scott Campbell holds the hot hand of popularity and relevance today over Adam Hughes 'tho in there here and now amongst the masses since he's actively putting product out into the public, and a lot of high profile quality pieces.

He's no Adam Hughes

It's such a subjective statement of pure opinion... Debates have gone on in every industry and every generation... Kirby VS Ditko; Perez VS Byrne; Romita VS Buscema; Pearl Jam VS Nirvana; Beatles VS Rolling Stones; 2Pac VS Biggie; Mac VS PC; Burger King VS McDonalds; etc. - - There's no right nor wrong, better or worst, people like what they like and let 'em be without criticism.

I'd say J. Scott Campbell holds the hot hand of popularity and relevance today over Adam Hughes 'tho in there here and now amongst the masses since he's actively putting product out into the public, and a lot of high profile quality pieces.

Pearl Jam :sumo:

He's no Adam Hughes

Mudhoney!

He's no Adam Hughes

:sumo:

He's no Adam Hughes

:sumo:

:sumo::sumo: