• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did the ASM J. Scott Campbell Hype start?

55 posts in this topic

He's no Adam Hughes

To a degree Adam Hughes is no J. Scott Campbell.

It's such a subjective statement of pure opinion... Debates have gone on in every industry and every generation... Kirby VS Ditko; Perez VS Byrne; Romita VS Buscema; Pearl Jam VS Nirvana; Beatles VS Rolling Stones; 2Pac VS Biggie; Mac VS PC; Burger King VS McDonalds; etc. - - There's no right nor wrong, better or worst, people like what they like and let 'em be without criticism.

I'd say J. Scott Campbell holds the hot hand of popularity and relevance today over Adam Hughes 'tho in there here and now amongst the masses since he's actively putting product out into the public, and a lot of high profile quality pieces.

Pearl Jam :sumo:

:sumo:

:sumo::sumo:

I'm more of an Alice in Chains,Soundgarden, and STP guy myself... though Yellow Ledbetter is one of my all time faves. :devil:

He's no Adam Hughes

It's such a subjective statement of pure opinion... Debates have gone on in every industry and every generation... Kirby VS Ditko; Perez VS Byrne; Romita VS Buscema; Pearl Jam VS Nirvana; Beatles VS Rolling Stones; 2Pac VS Biggie; Mac VS PC; Burger King VS McDonalds; etc. - - There's no right nor wrong, better or worst, people like what they like and let 'em be without criticism.

I'd say J. Scott Campbell holds the hot hand of popularity and relevance today over Adam Hughes 'tho in there here and now amongst the masses since he's actively putting product out into the public, and a lot of high profile quality pieces.

I'm more of an Alice in Chains,Soundgarden, and STP guy myself... though Yellow Ledbetter is one of my all time faves. :devil:

AIC, Soundgarden & STP > Pj

I knew I liked you for a reason. (thumbs u

He's no Adam Hughes

AIC, Soundgarden & STP > Pj

I knew I liked you for a reason. (thumbs u

Likewise. :headbang:

Why are the Amazing Spider-Man issues with Mary Jane and Black Cat Covers drawn by J. Scott Campbell so much in demand now? It seems the hype started overnight a few months back or is it already going on much longer? Did I miss something that initiated the hype? Yes, the covers look nice but are they really so special compared to other Mary Jane or Black Cat covers?

I'm just curious because it looks like it happend so fast, but maybe it's just me and I was living under a rock the last few years :shy:

I was wondering that myself. Seems like he did a good job sexualizing female characters from the 70's but the storyline has little to no substance at all. Reminds me of the 90's.

JSC makes his characters attractive, Ramos makes them look like they escaped from a mental institution.

RAMOS:

ams700_bad_maryjane.jpg

2462919-ramos_zpsee349dab.jpg

CAMPBELL:

67428790282e6281718e982c7b276dab.jpg

bbe2e7158f0db64bc4d8d273d6621463.jpg

And yes, I used extreme examples of both to make my point in my favor :grin:

lol

You sure it's not just that Campbell draws them when they're happy and getting

what they want while Ramos draws them once you cut them off??? :devil:

One thing I do know. JSC had more fanboys coming up to flirt with him at the show than any other artist/writer.

At one point it was ticking off people who had been waiting in line hours to get something signed or sketched because they would keep distracting him from working on the piece in front of him.

One thing I do know. JSC had more fanboys coming up to flirt with him at the show than any other artist/writer.

At one point it was ticking off people who had been waiting in line hours to get something signed or sketched because they would keep distracting him from working on the piece in front of him.

True story.

It's a balancing act for sure! He has to have fun as well or he would never attend.

His demand is at high point right now and all boats are rising with that tide.

True story.

It's a balancing act for sure! He has to have fun as well or he would never attend.

His demand is at high point right now and all boats are rising with that tide.

Speaking of tides rising... did you see the lines for Scottie Young too?