• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As an eBayer for comic books...

72 posts in this topic

A lot of sellers have indicated that they send reminders or contact buyers about when they are going to pay, if they do not get payment in a couple of days. I would suggest that the automated UnPaid Item assistant program is far more friendly on your DSRs and just as likely to get you paid.

Often buyers feel that sellers are being pushy when they communicate about what the seller might consider tardy payment. If you allow ebay to make those notifications in a standardized template, it allows the big bad corporation to be the bad cop and you are far less likely to get dinged for communication, and everything else for that matter, in your DSRs.

I wouldn't suggest this in any way. The fast road to getting negged.

Opening an unpaid item case without communicating is a very, very bad way of doing business. The "automated system" is even worse. The last thing you should do is set it to automatic. It's a guaranteed way to off buyers.

Just send a message. It takes as long to do that as to open a case. If no response, then file. What harm is there? A few extra seconds?

If I get no payment after 4 days, I send a message that politely asks if they are still interested in the item, or if I can go ahead and relist it. No pushiness involved. Getting mad at buyers is a waste of your time, and leads to potentially serious consequences.

This "gotta have it yesterday" world will kill us all.

I've done it both ways (commuicated and use the automated service) and I'm not sure if one or the other has resulted in anything bad. (I rarely run auctions, but when I do, there is always a straggler who pays much later than everyone else) I do think that a personal PM is probably better than automated, though.

A lot of sellers have indicated that they send reminders or contact buyers about when they are going to pay, if they do not get payment in a couple of days. I would suggest that the automated UnPaid Item assistant program is far more friendly on your DSRs and just as likely to get you paid.

Often buyers feel that sellers are being pushy when they communicate about what the seller might consider tardy payment. If you allow ebay to make those notifications in a standardized template, it allows the big bad corporation to be the bad cop and you are far less likely to get dinged for communication, and everything else for that matter, in your DSRs.

Opening an unpaid item case without communicating is a very, very bad way of doing business. The "automated system" is even worse. The last thing you should do is set it to automatic. It's a guaranteed way to off buyers.

Just send a message. It takes as long to do that as to open a case. If no response, then file. What harm is there? A few extra seconds?

If I get no payment after 4 days, I send a message that politely asks if they are still interested in the item, or if I can go ahead and relist it. No pushiness involved. Getting mad at buyers is a waste of your time, and leads to potentially serious consequences.

And this is why you do good business.

I usually pay the second the auction is over but sometimes I am out or something and it is the next day at the most.

For when I am selling , my auctions say - Payment withing 7 days. After 5 I usually e-mail the buyer and politely say that I am just touching base and feel free to take a couple more days to pay if you need it. Then they almost always pay right then. Sometimes people need to wait for Payday and I have had some people reply - Thanks, I still really want the item, I was just planning on paying on a specific day and in that case, they still always have.

I always put "pay immediately" on my auctions. It might push people away, but if they ask nicely and seem legit with good feedback, etc. then I will remove it for them and work with them.

Easy cheesy

Why the rush? I figure if I get paid today, or in 2 weeks, it doesn't really matter....

Sellers that get mad at buyers are the first who should be limiting their personal communication.

I just set mine at 30 days or whatever the maximum is. I figure if they haven't paid for it by then, they probably are not going to. Since my ebay sales are all BINs, it really has never been an issue for me.

However, seeing all the stories of ebay buyer/seller nightmares, just on these boards, it seems to indicate that personal communication is often highly misinterpreted.

I always put "pay immediately" on my auctions. It might push people away, but if they ask nicely and seem legit with good feedback, etc. then I will remove it for them and work with them.

Easy cheesy

Why the rush? I figure if I get paid today, or in 2 weeks, it doesn't really matter....

Some people make a living by selling stuff on eBay (and other sites.)

:shrug:

-slym

How hard is it. Just send an invoice when they buy saying something like this. "I appreciate your business and your package should arrive safely I pack well."

Put in your TOS how long you wait for payment. At the end of that wait or a few days before go ahead and start the process. 99% of the time if they reach that time and they haven't paid they wont.

I pay right away unless I have purchased multiple listings from the same seller. I will then send them a message asking for an invoice and if they discount shipping for multiple purchases.