• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you receive a different CGC book than was pictured

244 posts in this topic

there is a piece of white paper sandwiched in the case right in the middle,

This doesn't sound like he's talking about microchamber paper either, but like someone stuck paper inside after it was sealed? A photo would clarify this.

+2

Yep. We need the black box in order to figger out what went wrong.

If you were to provide us with a pic, we could probably offer you a lot more help.

+ infinity

Sounds good, I'll upload one tonight after work. The white paper almost looks like a very thin foam, so it very well might be the microchamber paper.

The cracks are at the very top corners, not along the sides.

I once bought a Hulk 1 5.0 Blue label on ebay. Well, at least the photo in the auction was a Blue label. When it arrived it was a Purple label Hulk 1 5.0.

Um, like the guy thought I wouldn't notice????? Like he was hoping I was color blind or something?

It took me a while to fully explain it to the ebay people, that there is a difference between Blue & Purple labels. I got my money back, and probably nothing happened to the seller more than a slap on the wrist. Because my money was tied up in that Hulk 1 I lost out on a JIM 83 7.0 Blue label that sold for way below GPA (this was before the 1st Thor movie was announced).

I can't remember their ebay handle or I would share it right now. It happened way before I knew about these boards.

In the case of universal books I often make 2nd chance offers or use a stock photo. I occasionally do this for sig series if the sigs are in very similar positions.

A different cert number means nothing to me as a buyer or a seller.

If you are selling a copy different from the one pictured, I hope you clearly list that it's a stock photo, as many folks "buy the book" not the grade.

If you are selling a copy different from the one pictured, I hope you clearly list that it's a stock photo, as many folks "buy the book" not the grade.

The books I sell all look the same.

:signfunny:

:roflmao: Now THAT is hilarious!

+ INFINITY

This hasn't happen to me thus far with comics (knock on wood), but it has happened once when I bought a very expensive football card. The card was raw, but it was a numbered card so I know it was different from the one he sent me. He did not mention that he was using a stock photo. The card I got was in good shape, but slightly OC from top to bottom.

After arguing with the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for awhile, he agreed to refund me if the card did not grade at least a PSA 9 (mint). Well, the card did get a PSA 9, but I was hoping for a 10 based on the stock photo, although I admit that was no guarantee. The slight OC would not have affected the grade. In any event, I kept the card and decided not to deal with the turd any more.

Funny thing is, his account got suspended a few months later.

This hasn't happen to me thus far with comics (knock on wood), but it has happened once when I bought a very expensive football card. The card was raw, but it was a numbered card so I know it was different from the one he sent me. He did not mention that he was using a stock photo. The card I got was in good shape, but slightly OC from top to bottom.

After arguing with the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for awhile, he agreed to refund me if the card did not grade at least a PSA 9 (mint). Well, the card did get a PSA 9, but I was hoping for a 10 based on the stock photo, although I admit that was no guarantee. The slight OC would not have affected the grade. In any event, I kept the card and decided not to deal with the turd any more.

Funny thing is, his account got suspended a few months later.

Serves that doosh bag right! It's hard for me to respect anyone who uses stock photos, and doesn't disclose it in the description. Apparently some sellers have no problem with doing this, even If their books "all look the same". :facepalm: Sellers with this mentality can EAT IT!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, grading is subjective, and even CGC books of the same grade can have slight variation (or major variation in rare circumstances). I ended up returning a 9.8 once because It looked like a 9.6. Fortunately, the seller was totally cool about the refund.

:roflmao: Now THAT is hilarious!

Happy to entertain. Doesn't make my statement any less true. (thumbs u