• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you receive a different CGC book than was pictured

244 posts in this topic

So I just got an ebay purchase delivered, and the book I received had a different certification # than the one shown in the auction. Now this wouldn't be an issue except that there is a piece of white paper sandwiched in the case right in the middle, and both top corners of the case are cracked. Also it absolutely reeks of smoke, which is not awesome.

The seller has offered to let me return it, but I am wondering for my own buying/selling information what exactly is the rule of thumb with this kind of stuff. If someone doesn't explicitly say "comic you will received is shown" do I have to assume its just a random image off google?

I mean at this point I would almost rather just try and sell it at C2E2 for half what I bought it than go through the hassle of returning it and hoping he refunds my money....

The piece of paper and cracked corners were discussed in another thread. That is microcell paper and the cracking is normal. Smoke-that will air off after time.

Verify the number to at least make sure the cert number is legit.

yep there was a link where you could look it up in another thread.

um while not the greatest on ebay rules, if you file with ebay about item not as described and then return it following the rules, he has no choice but to refund it or they will take the money themselves to give to you weither he likes it or not......but i would get confermation off people who deal with ebay more then myself

Oh kav, you're so helpful.

There's another thread where I helped some dude out really good.

Yeah, checking it on CGC registry was the first thing I did, and its legit. And yeah I had read about the white paper the other day, still it just bums me out. Did not however realize the cracks were normal too.

I guess I'll go through the returns process. Has anyone else run into this though? Where the book received is clearly not the one pictured?

And to answer your question Junkdrawer, it smelled like flavor country.

I'm not sure how ebay would rule on this. The item described was a -as an example- a CGC 8.0 of a particular book. If you received a CGC 8.0 of the same book, I'm not sure ebay would say it wasn't as described.

If he included the certificate number in the description , thats one thing but lots of sellers use stock photos.

The piece of paper and cracked corners were discussed in another thread. That is microcell paper and the cracking is normal. Smoke-that will air off after time.

It is? What cracking are you referring to that is "normal"?

Um yeah, cracks are not normal unless you consider damage to be normal. It's never a good idea to buy or sell a book this way, there are some shady folks that will show a well centered copy and ship a miscut, but cracked slabs are beyond the pale. I would send the book back based on the cracked slab.

It is? What cracking are you referring to that is "normal"?

Just passing on what I read in other threads-that the cases are not completely sealed, only fused at the corners. Thus along edges separation can occur.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7553455#Post7553455

Not speaking from experience, I only eat my books raw.

That's not the same thing as cracking. You are talking about the fact that the long edges of the slabs are frequently not sealed (though I think sometimes they are). I get the impression the OP is talking about actual fractures of the plastic case, but if all he is talking about is that the sides aren't welded, well, that's another matter.

That's not the same thing as cracking. You are talking about the fact that the long edges of the slabs are frequently not sealed (though I think sometimes they are). I get the impression the OP is talking about actual fractures of the plastic case, but if all he is talking about is that the sides aren't welded, well, that's another matter.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

there is a piece of white paper sandwiched in the case right in the middle,

This doesn't sound like he's talking about microchamber paper either, but like someone stuck paper inside after it was sealed? A photo would clarify this.