• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Man with a 1 bdrm condo becomes a Comic Dealer

56 posts in this topic

Nice setup and thanks for sharing the info on building your display (rack). Hopefully you don't mind me asking but what have you found to be the best method for credit cards? I know cash is king but I've seen a few people talk about a PayPal and Intuit reader. I have a PayPal account and know the reader is free but wondering if one is better than the other. Especially when it comes to using an Android based tablet as opposed to an iPad.

Not sure if the paypal method works in Canada as of this moment, I have not really looked into it.

My comic dealer group is thinking about getting debit/ credit card capability for shows but we are looking into the percentage / fees to do so.

I work at a bank for my day job and I have looked into getting a credit card debit machine attached to a business account but the cost doesn't make sense for the amount of usage. We do 9 shows a year and maybe would get 4-5 uses a show. It just doesn't currently make sense.

I have also seen commercials for something you attach to a cell phone but it isn't available in Canada.

I believe it is now. Try Square.ca

[font:Book Antiqua]I live in Toronto, a couple of months back I buy a few comics,

the woman used that exact interface to use my card...

She try a few times at least 6.[/font]

That might have been a problem with the network rather than the reader.

Keeping better books out front and flat on the table like that, it's a matter of when, not if that you will lose a few. :|

We watch them like hawks but yes, there's risk. We don't put anything too expensive out front. Also remember that we live in Canada and Canadians are just more honest........ :popcorn:

Keeping better books out front and flat on the table like that, it's a matter of when, not if that you will lose a few. :|

We watch them like hawks but yes, there's risk. We don't put anything too expensive out front. Also remember that we live in Canada and Canadians are just more honest........ :popcorn:

Don't you have a guy named Luther running around there? hm

Don't you have a guy named Luther running around there? hm

lol

"I stole, so what? I am starting a comic book store with the money. Holla!"

Just a suggestion, but where you stack your nice comics on the table I would suggest something like this.

Either place your lower value/lower grade keys in the front and your higher grades in the back so they would have to reach for them.

Or maybe place a long box sideways in front of them so they can still see them, but have to work to get over the box to take the books on the table.

You could also slightly put that table behind all your long boxes so they cant reach them, but can still see them.

All 3 of those ways will either limit or make it alot harder for the thieves to get your key books.

My ex is from Calgary and I would not classify her as "honest"... Always gotta be a few rotten apples in every bunch, I guess. I'd still re-think the keys on the front of the table arrangement. Perhaps a flat glass case would be better. I've seen sports card dealers do this at shows.

My ex is from Calgary and I would not classify her as "honest"... Always gotta be a few rotten apples in every bunch, I guess. I'd still re-think the keys on the front of the table arrangement. Perhaps a flat glass case would be better. I've seen sports card dealers do this at shows.

My comment was partly in jest. There are lots of dishonest Canadians. I would suspect the chances of us getting robbed at a local show are lower than a show in NYC or Detroit.

My comment was partly in jest. There are lots of dishonest Canadians. I would suspect the chances of us getting robbed at a local show are lower than a show in NYC or Detroit.

:o

Thought I would share this because I find it amusing.

I have been selling at local comic shows for a few years now. I was originally selling my "completionist" collection that I acquired when I got back into comic collecting from 2003 - 2007. At the time I collected low grade books because I just wanted them all.

You were one of the first people I sold to on the boards! :applause:

Doing the shows is a lot of work, but it can be a lot of fun. I've only been ripped off once at a show and it was for two copies of DD 181 I left in the table boxes.

You have a great setup and I love your banner!

Thought I would share this because I find it amusing.

I have been selling at local comic shows for a few years now. I was originally selling my "completionist" collection that I acquired when I got back into comic collecting from 2003 - 2007. At the time I collected low grade books because I just wanted them all.

You were one of the first people I sold to on the boards! :applause:

Doing the shows is a lot of work, but it can be a lot of fun. I've only been ripped off once at a show and it was for two copies of DD 181 I left in the table boxes.

You have a great setup and I love your banner!

Thanks!

I created the logo and had a local banner making company print it on vinyl. 6 feet by 3 feet.

Logo_smallemail_zpsebd98306.jpg

First setup at my bud thehumantorch's place in his garage.

walldisplaywithbanner2_zps235603d9.jpg

I remember buying a longbox of Uncanny Xmens from you in the 200-300 range. (thumbs u