• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #12 Overrated?

40 posts in this topic

Also, and this is just my opinion, but SuperHero vs. SuperHero covers are somewhat overrated. You would swear that there is only a half of dozen of them. But there a lots of them. Not that they aren't cool covers, but I think there is a lot of Hype surrounding them.

While this is true generally, FF #12 transends all that because it was the first one. There are many Hulk VS Thing books/covers that collectors covet, but this one is the uber key.

Yes, the price is ridiculous, but it is not surprising. As to it's importance, I think most FF collectors would rather have a #12 than a #3. As for Hulk 4,5,& 6 - I found these along with #3 for a good price in roughly VG shape a couple years ago - I thought about completing the run until I read them - I sold them instead.

i think ff 13 is undervalued c/w ff 12

ff 13 is the 1st watcher and also 1st red ghost and its got that super tough grey cover with the 'floating hand" motif

how does it compare in the census with ff 12 in 9.0 or better?

if ff 12 9.0 is selling for $4to 5k, ff 13 is easily a $3000to $4000 book in 9.0

i think ff 13 is undervalued c/w ff 12

ff 13 is the 1st watcher and also 1st red ghost and its got that super tough grey cover with the 'floating hand" motif

how does it compare in the census with ff 12 in 9.0 or better?

if ff 12 9.0 is selling for $4to 5k, ff 13 is easily a $3000to $4000 book in 9.0

There are three copies of #12 in 9.4 and six copies in 9.2. #13 has two copies in 9.4 and three copies in 9.2.

Tripps also said that #13 is one of the hardest issues to find in HG, so in 9.4, who knows -- it might sell for as much as #12 in 9.4.

But in 9.2, a #13 sold in June for $4,200. That's what Jason's 9.0 #12 sold for last month. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe not. confused-smiley-013.gif

the main thing that ff 12 has going for it is the classic cover and battle issue thing

ff 13 has the 1st watcher- and how important is the watcher in the marvel universe and also a major ff villain 1st appearance, the red ghost, its a book with alot of legs

I think calling the Red Ghost a major villain is a stretch. I'll agree that the Watcher is important, but I'm not sure that is as important as the first Hulk/Thing battle to most FF collectors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the main thing that ff 12 has going for it is the classic cover and battle issue thing

ff 13 has the 1st watcher- and how important is the watcher in the marvel universe and also a major ff villain 1st appearance, the red ghost, its a book with alot of legs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think calling the Red Ghost a major villain is a stretch. I'll agree that the Watcher is important, but I'm not sure that is as important as the first Hulk/Thing battle to most FF collectors.

I know I would rather have #13 than #12.

Not that #12 is a cool book, but I thought by saying "Overrated" in the thread instead of "Overpriced" would get more a spirited debate, and I would say that my psychological experiment seems to have worked. Yeah, for me. acclaim.gif

Of course, I hear FF #11 is really the book to have. blush.gif

I don't think that hero vs. hero battle issues are overrated. There are some great ones in the Silver Age, including Daredevil #7, JIM #112, FF #25, Silver Surfer #4, Sub-Mariner #8, etc. I don't think these can be overrated.... great stories done by great artists. They are some of the best issues that the Silver Age had to offer.

I don't really agree as FF 13 only really appeals to FF collectors, whereas FF 12 brings in Hulk collectors, hero battle collectors, and classic cover collectors. It will always comand far more attention.

I don't really agree as FF 13 only really appeals to FF collectors, whereas FF 12 brings in Hulk collectors, hero battle collectors, and classic cover collectors. It will always comand far more attention.

FF#13 in uber high grade also appeals to the "tough book" crowd. But I am with you re: FF#12 having a broader appeal than #13. I don't think there's any contest.

I agree except with the "FF 13 only really appeals to FF collectors" part. The Watcher has crossed over into every other Marvel title, and although he's not highly popular, he's been a familiar enough character for a long enough time to draw some people to his first appearance. What If collectors, Galactus collectors, and Silver Surfer collectors are particularly drawn in.

If I remember correctly, FF 13 is the only FF book Murph wants because he's a Watcher fan.

FF#13 in uber high grade also appeals to the "tough book" crowd. But I am with you re: FF#12 having a broader appeal than #13. I don't think there's any contest.

I agree with you. Watcher MIGHT have some crossover appeal, but it's no contest with the Hulk. And remember, FF 12 was the first silverage superhero crossover.