• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for you comics dealers

18 posts in this topic

If you haven't seen it, I made a website for swapping trade paper backs and graphic novels a little while ago called TPBSwap . It turned out pretty good, the feedback from the people using it has been positive, and we're having fun with it.

So I've been thinking about building a different website. It seems everyone hates selling on ebay, which got me thinking, is there a want or need for a website specifically dedicated for selling comics, slabs, and original art? I was thinking of putting something together but I don't want to spend the 200 to 300 hours developing it if there isn't going to be much interest in it.

My initial thoughts are for it to be setup on a subscription model, no transaction fees (other than your paypal fees). Shoppers could of course sign up for free, dealers would be subject to a small monthly fee, around $20/month or $200/year if pre-paid. You'd be able to create an unlimited number of listings with a purchase price and probably the ability for people to submit an offer, no auctions though. Each dealer would get a simple "profile page" with your business info, so if they don't have a website you could use that for your advertising purposes. There would be opportunities to get listed on the websites home page as "Featured Dealers" and to have sale's listings also featured on the home page.

Just looking for some feedback to see if this is something dealers would want before I spend the time building it.

Thanks

I know dealers are looking for an alternative to ebay, but you need to consider all the pitfalls as well. A good first step is no auctions I like that idea.

There is quite a bit of interest in it and I think you need to select about 5 to 10 known ebay sellers to get good rounded feedback on what you might need to add or remove from you model. I would suggest starting a round table PM once you get the sellers you want. Then do the same for a buyers round table.

Some of the feedback you get here will be worthless because many are soured to ebay as a seller or buyer due to fraud, packing issues, or their own stupidity.

If you have the time and the ability its an idea that can gain traction here quickly. What sellers/buyers biggest concern will be how can you address fraud on both sides of the coin I think.

One big problem will be, if it has legs, how do you keep the scamsters out? They love new platforms like this. Just look at what's happening with comic sales on Etsy. Of course, with Paypal's guarantees, they won't really be able to scam anyone in the long run, but they keep trying and it's a nuisance. Get known as a spot with scamsters and you're finished.

I know dealers are looking for an alternative to ebay, but you need to consider all the pitfalls as well. A good first step is no auctions I like that idea.

There is quite a bit of interest in it and I think you need to select about 5 to 10 known ebay sellers to get good rounded feedback on what you might need to add or remove from you model. I would suggest starting a round table PM once you get the sellers you want. Then do the same for a buyers round table.

Some of the feedback you get here will be worthless because many are soured to ebay as a seller or buyer due to fraud, packing issues, or their own stupidity.

If you have the time and the ability its an idea that can gain traction here quickly. What sellers/buyers biggest concern will be how can you address fraud on both sides of the coin I think.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd defiantly want to get a few knowledgeable and experienced dealers involved in the design, testing, and deployment of a site like this. That's part of why I started this thread, I really don't know who those dealers are or if there is an interest and need for this type of site.

Regarding fraud, I think the main protection for both parties would be paypal. That said I'm sure a lot of other things could be added to the site to give sellers a bit more control over who they would want to sell too, as an example giving sellers the ability to leave real feedback on buyers.

If you talk to any of the guys currently in the TPBSwap.com community, I'm sure they'd tell you I routinely implement their suggestions for features, imporvements and new functionality for the site. Similarly I'd like to get a lot of feedback from the audience who would be using this new type of site on the things they would find most important to them.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd defiantly want to get a few knowledgeable and experienced dealers involved in the design, testing, and deployment of a site like this. That's part of why I started this thread, I really don't know who those dealers are or if there is an interest and need for this type of site.

Regarding fraud, I think the main protection for both parties would be paypal. That said I'm sure a lot of other things could be added to the site to give sellers a bit more control over who they would want to sell too, as an example giving sellers the ability to leave real feedback on buyers.

If you talk to any of the guys currently in the TPBSwap.com community, I'm sure they'd tell you I routinely implement their suggestions for features, imporvements and new functionality for the site. Similarly I'd like to get a lot of feedback from the audience who would be using this new type of site on the things they would find most important to them.

You need auctions. Sometimes a book needs to move and an auction is the way it will move quickly.

Thanks for the feedback.

You need auctions. Sometimes a book needs to move and an auction is the way it will move quickly.

That's what ebay is for. I don't think the OP wants to go down that road. I sure wouldn't. Id be willing to bet 75% of ebays problems stem from auctions.

Thanks for the feedback.

That's what ebay is for. I don't think the OP wants to go down that road. I sure wouldn't. Id be willing to bet 75% of ebays problems stem from auctions.

Why would that be? I would think scamsters prefer BIN, as the bogus item is up for less time. Sure, shilling is a problem with auctions, but I don't think it's pervasive, and the buyer is still getting what they were willing to pay for.

I wish ebay would go back to charging minimal listing fees and less at the back end, as it kept the amount of overpriced clutter down.

Do you mean a site like comiccollectorlive?

I had never heard of that, but it looks like they have a monthly fee of $15, sales fee's of 5% and listing fee's between $.01 - $.10 per insertion. I'd be doing a flat monthly fee, nothing more (your ebay transaction fees would still apply ofcourse, I can't help that)

This site seems a bit confusing too, I think I could do better. At a quick glance, if you click library there are categories like Recent Additions: Comic Books, and then there are a few titles listed there but 0 are available. Similarly, doing a search for amazing spiderman just brings up a ton of books/issues with 0 available. This site looks more like a single out of stock vendor, not a replacement for ebay where many/any dealer can sell.

In any event, a little like that, but better.

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand but having an alternative to eBay would be great. I understand that a lot of people have problems with auctions, out of the 1000+ auctions I run a month, I have maybe 2 problems. Some months maybe 3-4. But having another auction site to list would be fantastic, especially if it works well with collectors and dealers in mind.

There's no reason there couldn't be auctions also, I honestly just thought people wouldn't really want auctions, and would prefer a basic BIN/Best Offer system. Would like more feedback on this, as well as the overall general interest.

I'd need a fair number of interested motivated dealers to really make it worth my while since I'd be doing away with the transaction fees, insertion fees, and relying just on a monthly subscription. That said I'm not greedy and looking to get rich off it, just provide a nice platform that is really focused on what collectors and dealers want that also gets my time and effort compensated.

Would you be ok with dealers listing their books on your site at the same time as other sites like ebay, comiclink, heritage, etc? Since you're getting the flat fee (and no commissions) regardless, there shouldn't be an issue with the conflict of interest in whether it sells here or there for you. However, I can see the potential for trouble if 2 buyers (one on ebay and one on your site) buys at about the same time especially if you did offer auctions. I suppose, assuming the dealer is honorable and offers it to the buyer that paid first it should be fine. but it could get sticky.

I like that you're taking some initiative on this.

There's no reason there couldn't be auctions also, I honestly just thought people wouldn't really want auctions, and would prefer a basic BIN/Best Offer system. Would like more feedback on this, as well as the overall general interest.

I'd need a fair number of interested motivated dealers to really make it worth my while since I'd be doing away with the transaction fees, insertion fees, and relying just on a monthly subscription. That said I'm not greedy and looking to get rich off it, just provide a nice platform that is really focused on what collectors and dealers want that also gets my time and effort compensated.

Buyers want auctions more then sellers in my opinion.

If you look at the current market they are going the way of BIN/offer. I don't think sellers would be a problem. Clink and Heritage have already shown on the high end this works.

Comic Collector works great for books if you don't mind not seeing your book before you buy it. If you can develop it well it will pay off for you. Their shipping is fair, but again they do have sellers there that either lag way behind or just don't care.

Atomic Avenue also suffers from the same issues CC does except their shipping program kills buyer motivation when you go to buy more then like 3 or 4 books you get hosed with higher shipping. Seller pockets the money and Atomic Avenue claims it is what it is.

Buyers want auctions more then sellers in my opinion.

If you look at the current market they are going the way of BIN/offer. I don't think sellers would be a problem. Clink and Heritage have already shown on the high end this works.

Comic Collector works great for books if you don't mind not seeing your book before you buy it. If you can develop it well it will pay off for you. Their shipping is fair, but again they do have sellers there that either lag way behind or just don't care.

Atomic Avenue also suffers from the same issues CC does except their shipping program kills buyer motivation when you go to buy more then like 3 or 4 books you get hosed with higher shipping. Seller pockets the money and Atomic Avenue claims it is what it is.

Agreed, auctions are basically for the buyer. People find them fun & love the buzz of "winning" and the possibility to get something for cheap.

They can work out for the buyer though if they would have underpriced the item otherwise.

Would you be ok with dealers listing their books on your site at the same time as other sites like ebay, comiclink, heritage, etc? Since you're getting the flat fee (and no commissions) regardless, there shouldn't be an issue with the conflict of interest in whether it sells here or there for you. However, I can see the potential for trouble if 2 buyers (one on ebay and one on your site) buys at about the same time especially if you did offer auctions. I suppose, assuming the dealer is honorable and offers it to the buyer that paid first it should be fine. but it could get sticky.

I like that you're taking some initiative on this.

Yeah I don't see why dealers can't list their books, slabs and OA anywhere else if it's a for sale/BIN type listing. If my site had auctions as an option, running auctions in 2 different places seems like a bad idea.

But if it was listed on ebay as a BIN and on my site as a BIN, so long as they take it down as soon as possible if it sold somewhere else, I don't see it as an issue. I'd imagine if it sold in both places they would rather fulfill the sale on my site, since I'm not dinging with a 9% fee.

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's been useful. I was hoping to get some more feedback from regular comics dealers, store owners, and the like. I'm not convinced there is a big enough want or need for a new site yet, but I'd like to build it if there is.

I think adding a message board or a buyer / seller bio area could work out good too. I was one of the people who added a ton of feedback to Comic Collector when they first started out and getting to know whom you are buying from or selling to helps a lot to stay away from the scammers. I think it helped with the sales made on this site by getting to know who to trust.

Another good thing is a "key word" search for books. If a buyer is looking for a 3D cover, a Whitman, or some other type of book then it can be found with ease and will help the sellers to make that sale.

A feedback grading system for buyers and sellers would be great to keep the people honest but also give people some credit if the other person does not try to give any feedback. That is a big down fall for ebay that sellers don't get there credit if they made a perfect transaction their sales and the buyer is too lazy to give some type of feedback on them or to show how many transaction were really made by that person. This can suck if you have ever sold a group of books, packed them with extra care, and you see the package was delivered a week ago but you have nothing to show others who might buy from you that your a good seller.