• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commissions via facilitator vs artist direct

16 posts in this topic

I'm about a year or so into collecting sketches and I've been fortunate to have good experiences dealing with facilitators on these boards or contacting an artist directly for sketches. I'm curious about what fellow board members recommend as a best practice for opps.

Assuming that the commission will be graded and slabbed the question is which do you prefer...using a facilitator for a sketch opp or contacting an artist directly?

Going through a facilitator basically puts all the stress and coordination on them to ensure the that the opp runs smoothly and that the sketch is done in a timely fashion. Personally I know that some of the artists that I have offered opps do not take public commissions or attend a limited number of comic conventions which typically means the only way to get a sketch would be through a opp.

Since these are all done with plenty of time and preparation, artists that I have offered here both publicly and through private opps have told me that they will add a little extra time on the sketches due in part to the relationship I have built with them over the years. Those who have been here for a while can immediatly attach artists with different facilitators (IE Jose Jaro & Freddie Williams with GODOFTHUNDER, Gabrille Del'Otto with Mr.Myler, and Mike Zeck, Al Milgrom, Mike Perkins and others with me) I know that if I want a killer sketch from Jose Jaro I am going to touch base with Adonis. If I want another Del'Otto I will be emailing Mike.

However, if you are going to be attending a show where an artist you would like to commission is at I highly recommend contacting them to try to set something up but bare in mind that you will need to have someone from CGC come with you to pick up the book.

Hope that helps

Dan

I rather set things up myself. I like to give direction on exactly what I want. Plus I like to meet the artist whose work I admire. Im not going to talk their head off but it always nice to let someone know that they do great work

I rather set things up myself. I like to give direction on exactly what I want. Plus I like to meet the artist whose work I admire. Im not going to talk their head off but it always nice to let someone know that they do great work

+1 when possible

Well you'll need a facilitator to pick up the sketch at a convention... So..

Not always. (shrug)

Most of US can't attend shows Jeff. Which means a majority of members have to rely on facilitators.

Getting sketches really isn't an either or situation. I do both.

I only go to one or two shows a year (Emerald City in Seattle and Rose City in Spokane). For those shows I will see who is coming and sometimes reach out directly and pick up the sketch personally with a CGC witness. It is fun when that works and you can meet the artist and thank them personally. Clayton Crain lives locally and I love picking up books directly from him.

But a lot of the sketches I get are from facilitators via an opp. Del'Otto has never come to the Northwest (thank you Mr. Mylar). I don't think Edgar Tadeo travels outside the Philippines (thank you Mr. Mylar and Jun). I got Kieth books signed through an opp. Dscott, par2ch, godofthunder and Menace have all helped me out.

I only go to one or two shows a year (Emerald City in Seattle and Rose City in Spokane). For those shows I will see who is coming and sometimes reach out directly and pick up the sketch personally with a CGC witness. It is fun when that works and you can meet the artist and thank them personally. Clayton Crain lives locally and I love picking up books directly from him.

But a lot of the sketches I get are from facilitators via an opp. Del'Otto has never come to the Northwest (thank you Mr. Mylar). I don't think Edgar Tadeo travels outside the Phillipines (thank you Mr. Mylar and Jun). I got Kieth books signed through an opp. Dscott, par2ch, godofthunder and Menace have all helped me out.

I'm inclined to agree about doing both. Some people you can only get through facilitators others you can get on your own. The more work you do on your own, the more you save (or apply that savings to another CGC Book).

I'll get info from artists regarding commission rates and consider what I can afford. I also take into consideration convention appearances and their schedule for the year before I committ. Some artists just go to 1 show while others go to almost every single one (Neal Adams). If you know a friend who is going to a particular show (and your favorite artist happens to be attending), just schedule for a commission pick up with your friend. You save the facilitator fee just like that. I've done that a few times.

I once had to ask a facilitator to pick up a book for me (at another con from an artist) because the artist left the convention I attended early. That was a headache but that facilitator helped me out greatly in that instance.

Figure out who you're interested in getting a commission from and decide whether you or your facilitator can make it happen.

Well you'll need a facilitator to pick up the sketch at a convention... So..

Not always. (shrug)

Most of US can't attend shows Jeff. Which means a majority of members have to rely on facilitators.

Then my comment is right on. :grin:

But a lot of the sketches I get are from facilitators via an opp. Del'Otto has never come to the Northwest (thank you Mr. Mylar). I don't think Edgar Tadeo travels outside the Philippines (thank you Mr. Mylar and Jun). I got Kieth books signed through an opp. Dscott, par2ch, godofthunder and Menace have all helped me out.

Great to finally meet you and your family Steve, good times

And thank you for all your help in the Klaus Jansen line and at the booth, much appreciated

Re the OP, I agree with Steve/Dan