• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beaujolais... Anybody ?...

30 posts in this topic

hi.gif

In my mind Riesling was only a wine from Alsace, it seems that i'm wrong on this one...

You seems to be an expert in wines, and i must admit that i don't really know the german's wines (there are so many wines in France !) sorry.gif

I was born in the 'Anjou' area of France and i'm a fan (and collector) of the sweet white wine named 'Coteaux du Layon'.

In my region it's also called the 'Sauternes of the poors' because it's as good as Sauternes but certainly cheaper...

I also like red wines with smoked taste like Shiraz.

Oh... and i love Thaï food too (the cook of my marriage was thaï) thumbsup2.gif

I know the Coteaux du Layon wines... very nice! I've got a few from Philippe Delesvaux. I made the "mistake" of opening one of them young and, while it was fantastic, I knew as soon as I took my first sip that they'll benefit from a few more years of bottle time.

You coming to the forum dinner at WonderCon this year? hi.gif

i did not know that reisling's were german.

It's not. 100% french product.

What? If you're refering to Beaujolais, then, yes, I know they're 100% french. But the best rieslings (in my opinion) are German. I prefer them over French rieslings (Alsace mostly). They tend to be dryer a'la Chards vs. the German rieslings which tend to be crisper when young and become fuller/more nectar-y as they age.

If you haven't tried a true German riesling (JJ Prum, Dr. Loosen, Donnhoff, etc.) you are missing out! They are NOT the sugary, sweet rieslings that you've tried from California. Get yourself to a decent wine shop and pick up a bottle to go with your turkey dinner. Or with any Asian food. The crispness pairs well with the spicyness you find in Thai food, etc. Don't be intimidated by the labels. Just ask someone and they'll steer you in the right direction... you won't be sorry. (And don't feel like a wimp for drinking white wine. This is coming from someone with a 500+ bottle wine collection that's predominately red but my head has been turned by those pesky Germans.)

Hey Susanville, have you tried the Eroica riesling from the partnership between Dr. Loosen and Chateau Ste. Michelle? It's outstanding every year. cloud9.gif Made in the off-dry German style, but with higher alcohol than most of its German counterparts. Delicious.

What? If you're refering to Beaujolais, then, yes, I know they're 100% french. But the best rieslings (in my opinion) are German. I prefer them over French rieslings (Alsace mostly). They tend to be dryer a'la Chards vs. the German rieslings which tend to be crisper when young and become fuller/more nectar-y as they age.

If you haven't tried a true German riesling (JJ Prum, Dr. Loosen, Donnhoff, etc.) you are missing out! They are NOT the sugary, sweet rieslings that you've tried from California. Get yourself to a decent wine shop and pick up a bottle to go with your turkey dinner. Or with any Asian food. The crispness pairs well with the spicyness you find in Thai food, etc. Don't be intimidated by the labels. Just ask someone and they'll steer you in the right direction... you won't be sorry. (And don't feel like a wimp for drinking white wine. This is coming from someone with a 500+ bottle wine collection that's predominately red but my head has been turned by those pesky Germans.)

Hey Susanville, have you tried the Eroica riesling from the partnership between Dr. Loosen and Chateau Ste. Michelle? It's outstanding every year. cloud9.gif Made in the off-dry German style, but with higher alcohol than most of its German counterparts. Delicious.

You bet. I have a couple of each of the 2000, 01, 02 & 03. They do a great job with that wine and it's a freakin' steal at $17 to $20 a bottle. Having tried each, I'm just waiting now to see how it develops over time. I love the way Rieslings age.

What I really want to try is their Single Berry Select. Sounds like a BA/TBA-quality wine with a similar price tag - $200 for a split. Although I've seen it at the Wine Club for $160 if my memory serves me correctly. Still, a little too much for me. I'll drop some coin on a d'Yquem or a Phelps Backus and the like but for whatever reason, I'm shy on this bad boy...

You bet. I have a couple of each of the 2000, 01, 02 & 03. They do a great job with that wine and it's a freakin' steal at $17 to $20 a bottle. Having tried each, I'm just waiting now to see how it develops over time. I love the way Rieslings age.

What I really want to try is their Single Berry Select. Sounds like a BA/TBA-quality wine with a similar price tag - $200 for a split. Although I've seen it at the Wine Club for $160 if my memory serves me correctly. Still, a little too much for me. I'll drop some coin on a d'Yquem or a Phelps Backus and the like but for whatever reason, I'm shy on this bad boy...

They have some of of the Single Berry Select at the Wine Club? I have to go get a bottle. When Liz and I visited the winery last summer, they said that they sell out within days every year. I've never actually seen a bottle for sale anywhere. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While we're talking Washington wine, have you tried Quilceda Creek? cloud9.gif

They have some of of the Single Berry Select at the Wine Club? I have to go get a bottle. When Liz and I visited the winery last summer, they said that they sell out within days every year. I've never actually seen a bottle for sale anywhere. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While we're talking Washington wine, have you tried Quilceda Creek? cloud9.gif

I haven't tried Quilceda... reds or whites? I saw the Single Berry at the Wine Club in San Jose, not at the one in SF. The selection at San Jose is just slightly better than SF although the Wine Club and K & L Wines are the best places to buy wine in the Bay Area... price and selection cannot be beat.