• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Use Of Comic Panel Art In Movie Opening?

3 posts in this topic

The Marvel movie opening logo sequence showing fast frames of panel art is by now very familiar. Just for comparison sake here is an example:

This week I decided to rewatch my dvd of the 1980 FLASH GORDON and it dawned on me the similarity in feel of its opening title sequence.

Although it has a great song, the impatient can click on the 1:14, 1:51 and 2:40 marks to see what I mean.

So, does anyone know of a comic book movie before the 1980 FLASH GORDON that incorporated the comic art in this way?

PS - I did check the 1966 Batman but that was pure animation.

Didn't the '79 Superman movie use panels right at the beginning? Vaguely remember a red curtain opening and daily planet panels? (shrug) Could be mistaken.

Your memory is fine! The opening is just as you say but just basically full shots of the pages with a child reading them aloud. Very different from the style used in Marvel and Flash. Perhaps it could be considered a "prototype"?