• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone from New Orleans or familiar with the city?

14 posts in this topic

I'm taking my parents to New Orleans for a couple of days in a few weeks, since my dad has always wanted to see it. I've been there for business a few times but that was about 15 to 20 years ago and only for a couple of days. We didn't have a car available to us then and basically spent our nights getting drunk on Bourbon Street.

You can list comic shops if you know of any, but I'm also really looking for stuff that might interest my parents as well. Of course I'll show them Bourbon Street, and they would probably enjoy the street cars, although I've never been on them myself and don't know what to expect. I believe a lot of the old mansions are in the Garden District but I'm not sure of the best way to see them (we will be driving my parents mini van to New Orleans).

They aren't really the type to enjoy super fancy restaurants. However, I did some online searching and did find some supposedly good places for Po-Boys (Domilise's and Parkway Bakery & Tavern). But does anyone have any other suggestions? The zoo, old cemeteries, interesting sites, places to eat, etc.???

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know much about the city but whenever we go we walk from our hotel, which is on Tchoupolous in what I think is now a trendy district and then walk up Canal and across to Bourbon. Walking up and down Bourbon is OK but it's ducking in and out of the side streets that gets really interesting - there are some neat buildings, courthouses, etc.

I don't know much about the area but I do know that you should try to stay in better areas. It can get nasty in the wrong spots. :eek:

The food is pretty much amazing no matter where you go.

If you or your folks like music, NO is really good for that. There is live music everywhere. Just ask your hotel concierge where the locals go to get away from Bourbon St. ;)

Board member RobbieC has a keen interest in New Orleans history and is a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully he chimes in.

I Googled New Orleans comic shop and the first result was Crescent City Comics.

Look at the home page of their website...

Can you find an address?

WHO DESIGNS THESE SITES? WHO DOESN'T HAVE AN ADDRESS OF THE BUSINESS ON THE DAMN HOME PAGE?

This mess drives me bananas.

I Googled New Orleans comic shop and the first result was Crescent City Comics.

Look at the home page of their website...

Can you find an address?

WHO DESIGNS THESE SITES? WHO DOESN'T HAVE AN ADDRESS OF THE BUSINESS ON THE DAMN HOME PAGE?

This mess drives me bananas.

Crescent City Comics is located at 4916 Freret St., between Napoleon Ave. and Jefferson Ave. in Uptown New Orleans. Call 504-891-3796 for more info or e-mail us at crescentcitycomics@gmail.com!

Crescent City Comics is located at 4916 Freret St., between Napoleon Ave. and Jefferson Ave. in Uptown New Orleans. Call 504-891-3796 for more info or e-mail us at crescentcitycomics@gmail.com!

Sure. It's there under contact.

But why should you have to click/search to find the address of a store? What if you're on a mobile phone? Why make it more difficult -- especially a store in a city where there are a likely a lot of people from out of town who might shop there -- for people to find out where you are?

Tacky touristy things to do:

Walking Ghost Tour in the French Quarter

Cafe De Monde for Hickory Coffee and Beignets

Cajun Food (I can't recall the place we went to but there are tones of them)

Cemetery Tour

French Quarter - Day & Night

I would suggest pm'ing Ciorac as I believe he used to live there.

PS - I'd totally love to have a Po' Boy right now... :tonofbricks:

Go to Metairie. Eat a Po-boy at Perran's on Veterans Blvd. Ten minutes outside downtown New Orleans. Worth the drive.A few blocks behind Perran's is BSI Comics and Science Fiction off of Severn Ave. If you get a chance to go to Haydel's Bakery on Jefferson Hwy, go there and get anything. It's all good!!! (And yes, I grew up there).

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far!

I'm making notes...so if anyone else has any suggestions...please keep them coming. (thumbs u

I thought about the Steamboat Natchez, but don't know if it's any good or worth the trouble.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I pm'd RobbieC yesterday and Ciorac just now, as a couple of you mentioned they might be able to help. Still waiting to hear from them.

Anyone else familiar with the area that can offer some help?

I guess depends where you all are staying at: Metairie (10-15 minutes from New Orleans) Downtown Everything walking distance.

Eat's:

Stanley: Great breakfast Located Next door to St Louis Cathedral

Drago's best char grilled oysters in town: Metairie, and in the downtown Hilton Hotel

Central grocery: Best muffuletta off decatur, across from Cafe Du Monde

Cafe du Monde: Beignets

Mother's

Willie Mae's: some of the best fried chicken

Deanie's has some pretty good seafood platters

Acme: oysters

Emeril Lagasse has all his restaurants around the area

Cuchon: Off Tchoupitoulos

Camelia grill

Any Dickie "Brennan's" restaurant

Commanders

to name a few ;)

One more Port of Call (burger, baked potato, and Monsoon)

Aunt Sally's Pralines are good

These are more the mainstream places to eat

Places: St louis Cathedral, Jackson square, French Market (like a flea market)

pat o'briens (pat o's), Swamp tours, ghost tours.

Parents might like the garden District: Beautiful houses, street car runs down there:

Audubon Zoo, Magazine st (lot of antique shops)

Comic:

Crescent city comics (New Orleans)

Bsi (Metairie)

Media Underground (Metairie)

Don't do the tourist thing much anymore, but lived here all my life :)

If you can drive, check out Middendorf's, really great Fried catfish!!

Depends when you come down, crawfish season is upon us :) Jazz Fest around the corner

Enjoy!