• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Fury: The Art of Mike Zeck (April 5 - August 10 San Francisco)

39 posts in this topic

Official post card from the show - and yes, the original painting and B&W and color painted for this 1st Punisher poster are both on display together for the first time at this exhibit. The painted art previously hung in Kevin Eastman's Words & Pictures museum many years ago.

Raw_Fury_Postcard_zps09aed722.jpg

I wanted to share some pics of the "bonus" Mike Zeck exhibition that was featured at the Big Wow convention over the weekend. This exhibit included some pieces featured in the Zeck exhibit catalog, but also many other pieces that were exclusively on display at Big Wow. If you like what you see here, just wait till you see the main exhibit at the Cartoon Art Museum!

BigWow_Zeck_Show_1_zpsc88630e1.jpg

BigWow_Zeck_Show_2_zps1237e94e.jpg

BigWow_Zeck_Show_3_zpsd4d180fe.jpg

BigWow_Zeck_Show_4_zps10478344.jpg

BigWow_Zeck_Show_5_zps4af4a268.jpg

BigWow_Zeck_Show_6_zps175d593e.jpg

BigWow_Zeck_Show_7_zps28f22cce.jpg

BigWow_Zeck_Show_8_zps991bdf24.jpg

Coming soon... pics from Mike Zeck's visit to the Cartoon Art exhibit itself!

Just got my copy! The collection of art included in the catalog is absolutely stunning, breathtaking! The pinnacle of Zeck's work, with his more iconic covers and posters.

The paper is high quality shinny and thick paper, and scans and printing are really good.

My only "but" is the size of the reproduction. The designer left too much empty space around of the image of the original, so if you add the margins of the original, you get that the drawing (including bleed) is SMALLER than the published comic!!! WTF?!?!

Aside of this important fact, the catalog is a MUST for any Zeck fan, recommended!

Yes, Mike wasn't too happy with the quality of the original Punisher Mini-series covers when they were printed. The 1st cover looks almost all blue when in reality there are a variety of colors.

The Secret Wars #10 cover is one they somewhat defaced when they colored it. As noted, they wiped out a lot of detail in the mask and on his cape.

You'll also notice on the Secret Wars #8 that they changes Spider-man's head and the position of the legs - likely edited by Romita. Why? Not sure, but you wouldn't know except looking at the originals.

I'm sure that Zimelman wasn't too happy about the original reproduction, either.

I'm really sorry that I can't visit the exhibition. In spite of the high quality of the reproduction of the catalog, I'm sure that it must be a totally different experience to see the paintings live, like you felt back in the Creation Con in 1986. Your intro and Mike's were also a very nice complement to the book, I have a weak point for background stories.

I noted that a few pieces couldn't make it into the catalog, a pity.

Did you consider to make it a travelling exhibition? John Buscema's and Wood's exhibition at Palma (Spain) were fantastic and the giant catalogs were recently reprinted by IDW.

I'm sure that Zimelman wasn't too happy about the original reproduction, either.

I'm really sorry that I can't visit the exhibition. In spite of the high quality of the reproduction of the catalog, I'm sure that it must be a totally different experience to see the paintings live, like you felt back in the Creation Con in 1986. Your intro and Mike's were also a very nice complement to the book, I have a weak point for background stories.

I noted that a few pieces couldn't make it into the catalog, a pity.

Did you consider to make it a travelling exhibition? John Buscema's and Wood's exhibition at Palma (Spain) were fantastic and the giant catalogs were recently reprinted by IDW.

Thanks - glad someone read the intro to the book and didn't just look at the pictures. It gives some context as to why I wanted to bring the exhibit to the public.

We did have to cut some things out of the book at the last minute so there is some bonus material on exhibit at the museum (namely G.I. Joe art) that you won't find in the book.

We had always intended to have a separate Big Wow show - the majority of which would not make it in the book. You will find that many of the pieces in this show were only on display at Big Wow and not at the main museum exhibition. We did not want to mix Marvel and DC art in the book which is why you will only find the DC art on display at Big Wow. Unfortunately, we also ran out of room at the museum since many of the key pieces on display (like the Punisher covers and posters) are huge. But, if you attended Big Wow and make a trip to the museum, you will have had a chance to visit all the pieces that are showcased in the book.

As far as a travelling exhibit... that's an interesting idea. At the moment, no one has contacted me with interest in doing this, but I'd be willing to consider it. It may be difficult to keep the collection display intact as I had to borrow some of the key pieces in the exhibit from other collectors, but we could potentially have a similar version of the show that could be showcased in other cities. If people out there are interested, they can contact me.

As promised... some pics of Mike from the exhibit at the Cartoon Art Museum when he stopped by the Thursday before Big Wow.

Mike in front of the main wall:

Zeck_Raw_Fury_Display_zps3c755605.jpg

Mike with Andrew Farago, the curator of the Cartoon Art Museum in front of Andrew's favorite part of the exhibit - the G.I. Joe display:

Zeck_Andrew_Joes_zps07ad3587.jpg

Mike in front of the Secret Wars #8, 10 and ASM #285 covers:

Zeck_Secret_Wars_Covers_zps8044bc12.jpg

More pics from the exhibit to follow...

For those that have been asking if they can buy a copy of the Raw Fury book that accompanies the Cartoon Art Museum exhibit, Mike Zeck has now made copies available through his website. Coming out of the Big Wow show, he had some extra copies of both the Museum softcover (for $30 + s/h) and the Big Wow hardcover (for $40 + s/h). Both were limited to 500 copies and are signed. The hardcover is individually numbered as well.

You can order your copies here!

http://www.mikezeck.com/booksOrderPg/index.html

A few more pics from the exhibit... the wall of Punisher paintings!

CAM_WallofPunisher_zps15aa2fa7.jpg

The Secret Wars #1 cover along with the unedited version of the Secret Wars #1 DPS and a previously unseen Captain America and Avengers portfolio plate by Zeck and Beatty from around the Secret Wars time period.

Secret_Wars_CAM_zps479d05d1.jpg

If you like what you see, you should go experience it for yourself... it's much more impressive in person.

Well, all things must come to an end...that includes the Mike Zeck Raw Fury show at the Cartoon Art Museum. Thanks to all of those who went to see the exhibit and shared their comments. Hopefully, it gave you some additional insights into Mike's work and a greater appreciation of his contribution to comic art history.

The show was officially scheduled to end this weekend, but the good news for those that haven't yet seen it is that it will likely be held over for a little longer. I'm not sure exactly how much longer so if you haven't seen it (and want to)... make your plans now!

Both versions of the exhibit book are also still available through Mike Zeck's website at www.mikezeck.com. You can also pick up a copy of the Softcover at the museum.

As the show comes to a close, please feel free to post your comments about the exhibit.

Thanks for posting these pictures, i wish i could have made it to the exhibit but it was just too far from home. Great job collecting such a comprehensive amount of artwork from Zeck's career into one place, if mike sold these pieces off he must have been thrilled to see them again

I was able to go up to the show last weekend. Was very impressed with the art, nice cross section of his work. The Kraven's Last Hunt 6 covers were my favorites, Punisher covers and portfolios pieces were also impressive. I did prefer the inked covers over the painted ones. Captain America Annual #8 was also great to see. Andrew the curator and Chuck Costas did a great job gathering all the art together.

Thanks for posting these pictures, i wish i could have made it to the exhibit but it was just too far from home. Great job collecting such a comprehensive amount of artwork from Zeck's career into one place, if mike sold these pieces off he must have been thrilled to see them again

Unfortunately for Mike, like most creators, he sold all these pieces when he originally got them back. Back in 1986, the Punisher Limited Series covers sold for $1,000/each which was record prices for comic art at the time. His typical covers sold for $40-50 at that time. But, even though that money seem like small potatoes now, it helped supplement what Marvel was paying back in those days.

To answer your question... I think Mike enjoyed the exhibit and strolling down memory lane of his career through the exhibit. But, frankly, I had some fun myself thinking through what I thought people may want to see and then helping to assemble for the show.