• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRRRRR....so sick of the EBay overgrade, share in my pain.

30 posts in this topic

Always ask for larger scans and if they fail to provide them don't bid. Never purchase a book which has a picture taken by a camera. Flaws can not be seen. Now-a-days everyone knows someone who has a scanner. Demand it and if they want a decent price they'll provide it.

Unfortunately I came across those two auctions with like 12 hours left, too short a time to ask for scans. I always ask for larger pictures and when they don't provide them, I don't bid. These two were last minute exceptions....last time that happens!

Ebay grading is the worst! Too many books being sold by sellers who either can not grade, or set the grade high on purpose. It's created a number of problems:

1) "I don't want to sell books on Ebay because I won't get the prices I should get."(That's because of the bad grading of others. People automatically assume the book will be in a lesser grade).

2) I'll bid on this book at up to 70% of guide (because the book is probably over-graded,...(see reason # 1).

3) Overstreet is not relivent to the market, look at recent Ebay sales. ( see reason # 1 & # 2).

Things I have learned: There's a book on Ebay. It's got a BIN price that is 70% of Overstreet guide for the condition as stated. I get the book and the actual grade is equal to the Overstreet value for that grade. (see reason # 1, #2 & # 3).

Not to even mention what you do if the book is grously (sp?) misrepresented: can I return it? Will I get a refund?

Moral of the story: It's a Circle Jerk! makepoint.gif

The best situation is where you view the book in person before buying, such as at a LCS or convention. The next best is to buy from a dealer after checking thier return policy. Just MHO. hi.gif

Fuel, you are right on with this from my experiences. This is why anything that I have of value I get graded first. And this is why I also use PGA even when others find them unreliable. It's because PGA sells for considerably higher than raw and I don't have to wait CGC turnaround times.

I thought that I had ended my con selling days long ago. But now I find that if I want to sell my $3 - $25 books (those not worthy of grading) for anything even close to what is considered "FMV", then I have to set up at a con.

My one recent experience with Ebay overgrading is with the FF #20 that I put up on the birthday month thread. It was advertised at F/VF but that it "looked" like a VF with only ink marks on the back bringing it down to the F/VF. Well, by my estimates, not even including the "ink on the back" I'd say it was a basic Fine, and looks like a Fine Christo_pull_hair.gif.

I still do buy alot on Ebay though, but VERY infrequently do I buy individual books. In buying lots of 20 and up I am usually able to find a few copies within the lot that I want and have the rest leftover to sell. This often makes up for any overgrading. However, this only works with relatively inexpensive books as most books of value are sold individually. Moral of my story: I only buy books sold individually at cons. And I realize as a small Ebay dealer myself, that many others feel the same way.

Hey, unfortunately it's all part of the game. -----Sid

compare the seller's pic of a "NM":

73939414.jpg

with my pic when it arrived.

l-73939345.jpg

Anyone see the difference? (yeah scanner cropped top and left, but look at spine.)

Seller obviously fiddled with the scan. Lots of handling wear too that doesn't show up. Anyone else buy from dreamsunlimited2? Packing the books to go back!

I think it's the same book; graphically manipulated. Oddly, the one book out of the four I won that was graded NM- actually looks BETTER than the other three (they were graded NM) and is accurately graded.I don't know what's worse, buying a raw book overgraded or buying a slabbed book hit with SCS. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

dreamsunlimited2 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"You may return any item if the item is not as stated in our listing. Let us know via email within three days of receiving said item to inform us of the return. The item must be returned to us in the same condition as originally sold for a full refund less shipping charges."