• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the lowest acceptable collecting grade for you?

108 posts in this topic

Ha ha, well yes I suppose that's true. I'm not a disney collector, so I don't really know how many duck books come down the pike in 9.4, but I'm guessing it can't be too many.

Hmm...maybe you're onto something with this buying restriction. From here on out I refuse to buy any ga less than a 9.9!! 27_laughing.gif

Does that I mean I have to sell off my entire collection? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ha ha, well yes I suppose that's true. I'm not a disney collector, so I don't really know how many duck books come down the pike in 9.4, but I'm guessing it can't be too many.

Hmm...maybe you're onto something with this buying restriction. From here on out I refuse to buy any ga less than a 9.9!! 27_laughing.gif

Does that I mean I have to sell off my entire collection? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've been toying with the idea of only buying pedigree copies, but that's...

A) Too restrictive

B) Too expensive

So I'm not sure if I could do that. It would make for a neat collection though.

Plus then you open yourself up to the whole "what defines a pedigree" question. 27_laughing.gif

Yes it does. Please let us know what 9.8s and 9.6s you have! devil.gif

• Pre-1964 -- 9.0 or better
  • 1964-1966 -- 9.2 or better
  • 1966-up -- 9.6 or better

I was curious if other people used dates, rather than eras, for their cut-offs. Mine are:

Pre-1965: 9.4 or better

1965 and later: 9.6 or better

The exceptions are non-mainstream books like DC war books, Duck books and Gold Keys, where I`ll go as late as 1966 in 9.4 or better, and then after that they have to be 9.6 or better.

If you collected Marvels, would the guidlines be the same? That would get just a little too expensive....

If you collected Marvels, would the guidlines be the same? That would get just a little too expensive....

I DID collect Marvels, and the guidelines were the same. It WAS/IS very expensive, but believe me, DCs are not cheap anymore in ultra-HG. I've done some comparisons of market prices paid for 9.4 DC SA keys compared to 9.4 Marvel SA keys on these boards previously, and the DCs are getting up there.

I DID collect Marvels, and the guidelines were the same. It WAS/IS very expensive, but believe me, DCs are not cheap anymore in ultra-HG. I've done some comparisons of market prices paid for 9.4 DC SA keys compared to 9.4 Marvel SA keys on these boards previously, and the DCs are getting up there.

I don't doubt it. The reason I say it would be expensive is not so much what the individual issues command, but how much more often they come for sale. You would be "forced" to spend more.

I don't doubt it. The reason I say it would be expensive is not so much what the individual issues command, but how much more often they come for sale. You would be "forced" to spend more.

Yes and no. Yes in that more Marvels come up all the time, but no in that I wouldn't feel the same urgency to pull the trigger except on notoriously hard to find issues.

HG early SA DCs come up so rarely in 9.4 that if they're one of the titles I collect, I'll usually feel compelled to buy it there and then because I'll have no idea if I'll see a copy of similar quality again anytime soon (if ever). With most Marvels, I think I'd be able to be picky and hold out for really nice PQ and QP, and perhaps even a higher grade, because it's likely that if I didn't snag a copy one time, I'd get another chance to do so soon.

HG early SA DCs come up so rarely in 9.4 that if they're one of the titles I collect, I'll usually feel compelled to buy it there and then because I'll have no idea if I'll see a copy of similar quality again anytime soon (if ever).

Do you really think that is the case? Or is it just that there has been no real financial reason to slab BA DC's until recently... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HG early SA DCs. makepoint.gif

Sorry, I didn't even realise people were interested in SA DC's... tongue.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Do you have a view on BA DC's?

Yes, I don't understand why the sacrificial lambs are willing to pay huge money for the first few slabbed HG BA copies. All that will do is drive more supply, and there is a ton of supply out there. Applying rational economic theory, emergence of said supply should then drive prices down. Of course, I've been saying this about Marvel BA for years now, and prices keep going up even though supply keeps going up, so shows you what I know.

HG early SA DCs. makepoint.gif

Sorry, I didn't even realise people were interested in SA DC's... tongue.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Do you have a view on BA DC's?

Yes, I don't understand why the sacrificial lambs are willing to pay huge money for the first few slabbed HG BA copies. All that will do is drive more supply, and there is a ton of supply out there. Applying rational economic theory, emergence of said supply should then drive prices down. Of course, I've been saying this about Marvel BA for years now, and prices keep going up even though supply keeps going up, so shows you what I know.

Obviously, demand is increasing faster than supply.

EDan.gif

Ch2_DD1.GIF

Some of my books are in the 1.0 range. Only because they are the original books I bought as a kid. Never bothered to upgrade.

A few that I have had CGC grade are...

Detective Comics #33 1.8

Batman #47 1.0

FF #1 1.5

ASM #1 2.0

Surprisingly not all of my books have graded low. But it seems a lot of my key issues were well read.

Of course, I've been saying this about Marvel BA for years now, and prices keep going up even though supply keeps going up, so shows you what I know.

The increase in BA Marvel is a demographic thing. Those who grew up with bronze are becomming financially secure, and the price point is low enough for most to enter the market and fight for the best copies. Also, younger collectors such as myself(mid-late 80's) also connect with Bronze because the stories/art are very similar to the books we grew up with, and because they may end up being the last "collectible" era(80's and 90's books are plentiful, and largely insignificant).

I see demand increasing steadily, but I also think that the current price spread between 9.6/9.8 will not last. 9.6's may go up, but it's more likely that 9.8's will go down.

Also, I still contend that early bronze Marvels(15 centers) are tougher to find in ultra high grade(9.6+) than people think, and certainly tougher than books from 68'. You can see it in ASM, which is a highly submitted title, and where it is very economically rewarding to send in 9.4/9.6 candidates all the way to the mid-70's. Many of the 15 cent issues are practically never available in 9.6, and are even relatively tough in 9.4.