• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the lowest acceptable collecting grade for you?

108 posts in this topic

Grade wise 9.4, but mainly 9.6 on silver age books...I do generally avoid 9.8's simply for the same reson's Nick pointed out, as it seems not all books are created equal but people still expect stupid money for 9.8's no matter what the title/issue.

Bronze generally nothing under 9.6, but for a classic read, or title completion I'll get a 9.4 if it's an illusive issue.

Modern 9.8, and actually the odd 9.6 for limited edition's, but generally thses are very few as there's not a lot of point getting slabbed mod's.

Only collect Silver and early Bronze (through '75), so...

VF/NM (9.0) raw or slabbed.

Off-white pages or better

Must have excellent spine registration.

I go out of my way to avoid anything 9.6 or better, and will only buy 9.4s if the price is good and it's a book that I've had trouble finding in 9.2.

I have to say that 9.2s are my absolute favourites, as I think you get the very best bang for the buck...they look stunning with the most minimal of damage only apparent on real close inspection, they go for very reasonable prices, sometimes below Guide, and...although I have zero intention of selling, I think they'll do a decent job of holding value. They won't fluctuate wildly like the 9.6-10.0 range and neither will the arse drop out of the market, as it will do for reasonably common 8.0-9.0 late Silver & Bronze.

The registration is also, IMHO, important. As more and more people cotton on to 'buy the book and not the label', there will be more emphasis on quality control within the same grade range. For example, how many of these do you find without a mis-wrap? grin.gif

AmazingSpider-Man100.jpg

Just thought I'd chip in a few words of agreement on this. Cover registration and staples on the spine are important to me --and the early bronze Marvels are very hard to find well registered. Your ASM#100 is an exceptional copy due to its graded condition and its superb and rare quality of registration.

[Your ASM#100 is an exceptional copy due to its graded condition and its superb and rare quality of registration.

Am I going blind here, or is that copy cut way too low?

Edit: After comparing it to other copies, it cut off at the bottom, but the actual cover design makes it look worse than it is.

[Your ASM#100 is an exceptional copy due to its graded condition and its superb and rare quality of registration.

Edit: After comparing it to other copies, it cut off at the bottom, but the actual cover design makes it look worse than it is.

Your right JC.

Yeah, it's a touch low. You have to choose with this puppy whether you want half the bottom cut off, or a two inch white band at the side. I avoided the latter and had to put up with a bit of the former. frown.gif

Well, for my GA duck books I try and set a pretty high standard. I look for 8.0+ on Barks copies that aren't ultra expensive; 5.0+ on the key issues. However, if I see a cheap book that I don't have and it's not mangled I tend to pick it up. confused-smiley-013.gif

My SA collecting has slowed considerably, but I tended to only want 9.0+