• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYC on site CGC grading results

37 posts in this topic

Oh YES! Those are some sweet books, first time I'm seeing them, I just saw the invoice tonight, the books must have been in the vault already!

My submissions will be done by 5:30 tomorrow! Now that's a turnaround time!!

Cool meeting you!

That's all folks! stooges.gif I thought the show was O.K., although I thought there was a lot of overprice stuff. Harley Yee wanted $4,200 for a raw Spidey # 14 in 9.0 893whatthe.gif I mostly hung out with the Blazing one. I did get to meet Dam60 and mr.woogie. thumbsup2.gif

I found the show very frustrating. I was looking all over the place for some 10-cent

Batmans in around FN. Every time I found a book I was happy with, it was

priced at over the VF price. For the books I was looking at, the difference was

around $300 instead of $110.

I kept asking myself if I was really undergrading the books, but I just can't see

that a book is above VF when the inside covers are severely tanned, the edges

have multiple small tears and creases, etc. Most of the books were classic

FN, multiple cumulative defects but still very presentable. The price gap betwen

FN and VF is so pronounced that this is a very tempting area for dealers to

exaggerate the book's grade to themselves.

In general, most of the stuff at the show was overpriced for the accurate grade,

some severely so. I guess it shows the hobby is healthy if dealers can get away with this.

In general, most of the stuff at the show was overpriced for the accurate grade,

some severely so. I guess it shows the hobby is healthy if dealers can get away with this.

Or is the key to overprice / overgrade everything with the idea that it's better to sell one overgraded book to a sucker for $300 than three books, accurately graded for $100 a piece. 893whatthe.gif

There's are reason CGC's business is booming. thumbsup2.gif

The show was alright but last years national was better with alot more space...MSG...Alot of things were way overpriced even books like tomb of dracula #10 a fine for $175..Many books that I wanted to pick up I couldnt because the price difference would be alot..Only priced up one book..A Sonic the Hedgehog #1 would probably be a 9.6...

FD:

As I predicted on your Superboy 197, it did indeed come back a CGC 9.4, white pages.

As for my Bats 251, it came back a CGC 9.6 white pages. Since before I submitted it, I spotted one thing I thought on the back cover might knock it off the 9.8 -- I wasn't that surprised.

I had a JLA #9 come a CGC 8.5 with cr-ow pages.

Here are mine... some of them will be going up on eBay later this week (as soon as I reconnect and test my lousy scanner):

---------------------------

Signature Series:

Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 9.8

Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 9.8

Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 9.6

all were signed by Ethan Van Sciver & Peter Steigerwald

Underworld Movie Adaptation 9.6

head sketch and signed by Nick Postic and Nick Marinkovich

Millenium Edition: Batman 1 9.8

Millenium Edition: Batman 1 9.6

Millenium Edition: Detective Comics #38 9.6

Millenium Edition: Detective Comics #38 9.6

all were signed by Jerry Robinson

Avengers Finale 9.8

signed by Neal Adams

Detective Comics 372

signed by Neal Adams

If all goes well I will be getting my Signature Series books from Chicago back soon!

-------------------------------------

Regular Comics:

Amazing Spider-Man 1 2.0

Amazing Spider-Man 2 4.5

Amazing Spider-Man 27 7.0

Amazing Spider-Man 37 6.5

Amazing Spider-Man 38 6.0

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2 6.5 (Canadian Edition)

Fantastic Four Annual 1 3.0

Strange Tales Annual 2 3.0

Lone Ranger Comics #37 (1st blue shirt lone ranger) 5.0

and just for fun:

Astonishing X-Men #6 - double cover - 9.9 (outer cover 9.8, inner cover 9.9)

The 37 & 38 were about right IMO. The 27 was a tough call because the staples were off centre. I sent them in because they were the nicest of my remaining Ditko Spideys. The ones I have left IMO all fall at 5.5 or below (IMO).

I did get John Romita to sign my ASM 39 & 40 (both are in the 4.5-5.0 range - I think!) and those went in for Signature Series - but I don't think they were ready by the time I had to leave. Peter may have been able to retrieve them for me, if not I guess they will be mailed to Paradise.

I was quite torn over my #2 as it has extensive Marvel chipping but is otherwise quite sharp. At least I now know what Steve and/or Mark think it falls on the scale and have a better sense of how the chipping affects the grade.

The Spidey Annual 2 was a curiosity because it has blank inner covers and a blank back cover, which is apparantly the mark of a Canadian edition.