• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is restoration frowned upon in comics?

65 posts in this topic

Restoration took a huge hit when CGC put it in a different label. Until then, a book with fully disclosed restoration was much more accepted. The pendulum swings both ways, and restored books are becoming more accepted to a niche market. I've been buying them from the getgo. My first slab was a Brave and Bold 28 in 8.5 that sold for nothing compared to a Blue label.

one thing i have experienced personally in restored books is CGC can distinguish the difference of comics with restoration efforts and comics that were binded together into books.

I bought a rare Batman 251 from Lebanon that was pulled out of a library and it was binded since 1974.

It still had glue so they slapped a "restoration" on it...

It isnt restored but when I spoke to CGC they will label as "binded"

I think it is because both unrestored and restored are available at this time in history. Another 50 years, and golden age, silver age, etc, comics will need help to survive, and it will probably become more acceptable. Already, pressing is ok. Trimming the edge is on it's way to acceptable. Time changes everything!

:facepalm:

I'll be honest. I used to shutter at the thought of a purple label.

Now I see one, at a good grade that has some minimal restoration (some color touch somewhere or a little trim that you can't even tell) and see the price in comparison to a blue label and I'm totally okay with it! Book looks beautiful, high grade, fraction of the price, because of a little color on a building in the bottom corner? No probs!

Key word is 'minimal.' I think most people wouldn't look down upon a minimally restored book they way they would a heavily restored frankenbook.

I love restored books and if I had the choice of a AF15 unrestored 8.0 for (Making this $ up) $10,000 and a Restored to 9.0 for $6,000. I would take the restored every day (As long as its not MAJOR restoration) . I perosnally have zero issue with it. I even had my TOS 39 restored . Looked good but I wanted it preserved better (cover was detached and getting brittle etc, some color touch.)

I don't know if Richie Muchin is a board person, but I remember going to New York-area conventions in the late-80s/early-90s, and he was doing color touches and glue work at his booth. I think his attitude was that it made the comics look nicer and would likely make them last longer.

It didn't really bother me then, because a) was a teenager and couldn't afford his GA stuff at the time and b) his restoration was doing what he said.

Key word is 'minimal.' I think most people wouldn't look down upon a minimally restored book they way they would a heavily restored frankenbook.

Personally I think the Hobby is schizophrenic when it comes to 'minimal'. :screwy:

A completely disassembled (destroyed) book-assembly can be reassembled (into a modern recreation), and it's acceptable as 'nothing happened'. Where the tinniest re-trim is abhorred utter destruction. It's truly insane, no logic or any tie to reality.

I'll be honest. I used to shutter at the thought of a purple label.

Now I see one, at a good grade that has some minimal restoration (some color touch somewhere or a little trim that you can't even tell) and see the price in comparison to a blue label and I'm totally okay with it! Book looks beautiful, high grade, fraction of the price, because of a little color on a building in the bottom corner? No probs!

Oh no doubt.

If the label has a laundry list of resto, than for certain I'll avoid it.

But of it's minimal than no problem at all.

1. There are, and have been, plenty of unrestored examples to own, at relatively inexpensive prices. When the choice becomes "restored or nothing", that will change (and has changed.)

2. It has been used to deceive by amatuers, resulting in tens of thousands of books with sloppy work that in some cases accelerates, rather than reverses, decay.

3. It's usually irreversible

Those are the biggest hurdles to the acceptance of restored comic books on the market. Once amateurs stop fiddling with books to deceive people...which has substantially happened, but not been halted, in the age of CGC...and professionals do professional, conservational work, restoration will achieve a level of acceptance that is has in other fields.

Because any restoration is basically "adding" to the original. Most other paper type of collectibles are seen as just valued and restoration keeps them viable, as you said.

But comics are art. It would be like someone doing a paint touch to the Mona Lisa...it's not in its original state anymore. Granted I know there have been restoration techniques used on the Mona Lisa and other old famous paintings but no one is trying to sell those and there is only one copy of it.

I also believe the value depends on the comic. Yes, an Amazing Fantasy #15 in 9.8 would be great to have but if I could only afford a purple label, so be it. I'm not to choked up about the restoration of it.

I hate to break it to you, but there has been plenty of color touches on the old masters' works over the centuries. The Mona Lisa included. When pieces are restored, it's not just cleaning off the dirt and grime. They do plenty of color touches as well.

How about this factor: there are numerous copies of any given comic, but only 1 of any piece of art. Thus for an art masterpiece, it's "take it restored at this price or not at all." With comics, it's "take this restored one for this price or an equally good one not restored for more $"

It may not be so much that resto is frowned upon - but maybe just that most would pay more for a totally original copy

How about this factor: there are numerous copies of any given comic, but only 1 of any piece of art. Thus for an art masterpiece, it's "take it restored at this price or not at all." With comics, it's "take this restored one for this price or an equally good one not restored for more $"

It may not be so much that resto is frowned upon - but maybe just that most would pay more for a totally original copy

But there are many copies of prints or posters or books that people get restored all the time.

Most people look no farther than the purple label.

That's the biggest reason for the incredible price discrepancies, and also why CGC was going to change the label all those years ago.

I wonder how different (if at all) things would be if they had done that from the beginning instead of the Purple label.

It seems that some people are a little better informed regarding restored books and look for those with the "SP" designation. Although that may be just to try and remove it and go for the blue label.

But there are many copies of prints or posters or books that people get restored all the time.

And a poster collector would not pay more for an unrestored version of a poster in the same condition as a restored version?

Comic books are like baby sea turtles. Born in massive quantities and right from day one there are challenges to exist in the world. Survival of the masses are the comic books true attest to its own being. To assist it, is to flaw it. Resto alters nature.

For me a lot of it is due to my lack of knowledge of the restoration done. The label only has slight, moderate, and extensive. I can't tell what percent of the comic is original. If CGC put some kind of information about the probable grade the comic pre restoration I feel I could make a more reasonable estimate of what it's value would be to me.

And a poster collector would not pay more for an unrestored version of a poster in the same condition as a restored version?

If the tears are professionally sealed, no.

Because comics are much more important than Mona Lisas or Declarations of Independence.

HANDS OFF

Because comics are much more important than Mona Lisas or Declarations of Independence.

HANDS OFF

Mona Lisa…only one ever made and not for sell.

Any 90's Comic Book…billions printed and no one wants to buy them!

I don't consider 90's books 'comic books'....comic books were printed in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.