• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine ticks and pressing

5 posts in this topic

I searched over the past year for the topic and did not see anything so if there is a thread already, can someone point me to it?

My question is in regards to spine ticks and pressing. I have heard and witnessed what look like color breaking spine ticks that seemed to be cleaned up with pressing.

Am I imagining this or is there a way to determine whether a spine tick will be removed with a proper press job?

I had a book pressed and graded last summer that had a number of spine ticks and when it was done the book looked better and I could swear there were less. It ended up getting a 9.4.

There are a few books in my collection that look great other than about 4-5 ticks that I am just not sure if they will come out or not.

Seems like pressing shouldn't affect it. Am I wrong?

I've made a few 9.6 modern slab acquisitions in the last year, and you'd be surprised by how many non color breaking spine ticks of the 1/16 inch variety a 9.6 can have.

Even a 9.8 can have a 1/16 color breaking spine tick or a couple of non color breaking spine ticks.

I can almost say that I've been disappointed by the few 9.8's that I've bought because I had not expected them to allow certain defects, but they do, as long as they are very very minor.