• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

would this work?

10 posts in this topic

I have said this before, but I am an archivist/ conservationist at heart and I have spent a good amount of time going through the archives here, archives at other sites, LOC, etc. and I think that this may work. This is all theoretical of course, I have not done this yet. Essentially I want my comics to last forever, CGC is a good start, but there can be other steps taken to improve the likelihood of comic longevity. Before CGC submission, one can deacidify the pages of their book as mentioned at this thread here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2785593

Many on here have done it and it does not affect getting the blue label. After this of course one would get it CGCed and with that the comic is now in a hard case, with microchamber paper, and contained in a water resistant sleeve (I have heard of stories where CGC comics got completely submerged in water, and still come out ok. It was at a large auction, maybe the Mann auction, can anyone verify this please?). Combined with the deacidifying spray, acid should no longer be a problem. This last bit has been from a few thoughts I have had. A vacuum would be a terrible storage idea because it would drive all the gasses and water from the pages, making them brittle and essentially worthless. An airtight environment may work, but in said microenvironment it can still age. I am studying to be a biomedical engineer and I can tell you no matter what the system, oxygen is almost always a concern. If the CGCed comic was placed into a sealed, airtight Mylar sleeve with two 300cc oxygen absorbers (1 is recommended for 1 gallon containers), paper deterioration would stop. Entirely. Rust could not occur on the staples without oxygen. Humidity would not be as much of a concern because as long as it was correct when it was sealed, then it would stay that way so long as the temperature did not flux radically. On top of this humidity would not damage the comic much (or possibly at all) without oxygen to fuel it.

Please find holes in this logic, improve it, make it more accurate and hopefully build upon it. I posted this in the GA forum because this is where the comics are most susceptible to deterioration because of their advanced age and thus need the most protection.

I don't believe that CGC cases are water tight as there have been instances presented on these Boards of comics in the cases damaged by water during floods.

I don't really see why being in a CGC case would make the comic last longer. I guess that it would prevent damage if you drop the book, but other than that I don't think it would make the paper last longer.

The other question is - How long are you planning to live? The measures you're proposing seem pretty extreme. I doubt that your comics will fall apart in the course of a regular life span.

Mike

I don't believe that CGC cases are water tight as there have been instances presented on these Boards of comics in the cases damaged by water during floods.

I don't really see why being in a CGC case would make the comic last longer. I guess that it would prevent damage if you drop the book, but other than that I don't think it would make the paper last longer.

The other question is - How long are you planning to live? The measures you're proposing seem pretty extreme. I doubt that your comics will fall apart in the course of a regular life span.

Mike

CGCing is more of a personal preference, just having the microchamber paper placed within the cover would be enough with a mylar bag and acid free board for this setup. I am only 20, and do not plan on selling most of the books I pick up except when I upgrade a copy. Thus I could have these books upwards of 70+ years if I do things right. :grin:

I also would like to think that comics are a piece of our culture worth preserving, even past our own lifespans. That is why I am mentioning this, I think I am not the only one who believes this. Not to mention if you have a really nice copy of something (like within the 8.0+ range), it may not fall apart per se, but it will age and deteriorate over a few decades if not properly maintained.

Worth noting that for most of the books in the pedigree, more time has passed with the Mile Highs in collectors' hands (1977-2014 = 37 years), then they were in Edgar's hands (1977-37=1940). Any MH post-dating 1940 has crossed that threshold.

Look to the way the Mile High's were stored that's a good start :)

Isn't the air thinner in Colorado?

It's dry in Denver. The Mile High books were stacked up in a dark, dry, cool basement and therefore preserved extremely well. As I mentioned before, proper storage conditions are by far the most important factor in preserving comics.

Mike