• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Joker Cover?

35 posts in this topic

There is some controversy as to which his 1st cover is. Most people always point out Detective 40 as the 1st cover, however from what I see it looks to be Clayface and not Joker (since Joker doesn't even appear in the issue). From my research, I have found that his 1st cover is Batman 11. CGC notes on this issue to be "Classic Joker Cover" without noting it to be his 1st cover. I find this significant in the fact that this book would have higher value if it was noted to be the "1st Joker Cover". Your thoughts.

It's definitely not Batman #11.

Detective Comics #62 would be it. April 1942.

vs.

Batman #11. June 1942.

That's if you're not counting 'Tec #40. That's subjective. I count it though as it's pretty clearly the Joker regardless of his involvement in the story.

So for me, it truly goes:

1. 'Tec #40

2. Detective #62

3. Batman #11

Batman #11 is at best, the 2nd Joker cover. But probably the 3rd.

From what I recall, the cover of Detective 40 is a fairly exact recreation of a panel from Batman #1; although I don't have my treasury editions handy to check my FFE of the issue.

I think the common belief is the Joker story (can't remember if it was the 1st or 2nd) was intended for the Detective 40 but moved to Batman #1 when they needed to fill pages quickly. It was too late to change the cover so we wind up with the cover illustrating a story from another book.

There is absolutely no contro (thumbs u versy, Detective 40 is the first Joker cover! EJR

It could be argued it's not the Joker on the cover. The villain on the cover could be the one who is featured prominently in the story and is referred to as Clayface. They share a similar look. I can see where the OP is coming from. No cape on the cover, though.

vip4ar.jpg

He appears again in Tec 49.

33bli5l.jpg

There is absolutely no contro (thumbs u versy, Detective 40 is the first Joker cover! EJR

It can be argued it's not the Joker on the cover. The villain on the cover is featured prominently in the story and is referred to as Clayface.

That threw me off too, except the seen on the cover of tec #40 LITERALLY comes from the scene in Batman #1

Tec #40 cover:

Detective_Comics_40.jpg

From Bats#1:

joker_stuff_zpsf03e1722.jpg

It's definitely not Batman #11.

Detective Comics #62 would be it. April 1942.

vs.

Batman #11. June 1942.

That's if you're not counting 'Tec #40. That's subjective. I count it though as it's pretty clearly the Joker regardless of his involvement in the story.

So for me, it truly goes:

1. 'Tec #40

2. Detective #62

3. Batman #11

Batman #11 is at best, the 2nd Joker cover. But probably the 3rd.

(thumbs u

So, is Tec 40 on fire ... (shrug)

I don't know if its on fire, since that 5.0 copy that sold last night sold for roughly 20% higher than straight "guide" value. However, there haven't been many unrestored, graded copies on the market in the last 12 months above 2.0. I think the book is fairly undervalued for what it is, and I'd bet in the near future that $2925 price will be considered a heck of a deal.

I don't think 1st cover vs cover makes a bit of difference in this case. Regardless they are all expensive books and a little note by cgc isn't going to push the price on any of them :-D

James G

It's clear that the cover from 'Tec 40 was intended to refer to "The Joker Returns" story from Batman #1, and for whatever reason that story was moved to the first issue of Batman, but the coloration does seem to indicate an attempt to disguise the relationship, and the illustration is hardly an iconic Joker image. So while it was drawn as a "Joker cover", without the splash page reference there would be no way to tell. It's the first Joker cover if you want it to be, but at the time I doubt anyone thought of it as such.

It's clear that the cover from 'Tec 40 was intended to refer to "The Joker Returns" story from Batman #1, and for whatever reason that story was moved to the first issue of Batman, but the coloration does seem to indicate an attempt to disguise the relationship, and the illustration is hardly an iconic Joker image. So while it was drawn as a "Joker cover", without the splash page reference there would be no way to tell. It's the first Joker cover if you want it to be, but at the time I doubt anyone thought of it as such.

Another possible factor is that few people want the Joker balloon cover(#62) to be his first cover appearance.