• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 242 and 252 - Value

26 posts in this topic

They are two very difficult books to compare. On average there are more folks that desire 252. We get significantly more want list requests for 252 because of Supergirl. But grade for grade the 242 is much more difficult to find, and particularly in grades 8.0 and above. There are 26 copies of 252 graded 8.0 or above; 3 in 9.2, 8 in 9.0, 5 in 8.5 and 10 in 8.0. 242 on the other hand has just two 8.5 copies and two 8.0 copies. And three of those copies will probably not be on the market any time soon (I have one of the 8.5s and wouldn't consider selling it for any reasonable price). I believe one of the 8.0 copies sold at Baltimore last year in the $12,000 range, almost double the last GPA sale of an 8.0 252. So in those grades the 242 is in my opinion far and away the better investment. But when you get below 6.0 the 252 is much easier to resell and will generally sell for prices at or above those of 242. The desirability of Supergirl's 1st appearance is the main factor. But a secondary contributing factor is the cover of the two books. 242's purple cover is a huge part of that book's appeal. In lower grades it shows and seems to magnify every defect. Most good and vg copies just look rough. So lower grade defects negate a huge part of the appeal. 252 on the other hand has a cover that masks defects somewhat and generally looks good even in the lowest grades. And as we know, eye appeal is a huge part of what drives most folks to purchase the comics that they enjoy.

They are two very difficult books to compare. On average there are more folks that desire 252. We get significantly more want list requests for 252 because of Supergirl. But grade for grade the 242 is much more difficult to find, and particularly in grades 8.0 and above. There are 26 copies of 252 graded 8.0 or above; 3 in 9.2, 8 in 9.0, 5 in 8.5 and 10 in 8.0. 242 on the other hand has just two 8.5 copies and two 8.0 copies. And three of those copies will probably not be on the market any time soon (I have one of the 8.5s and wouldn't consider selling it for any reasonable price). I believe one of the 8.0 copies sold at Baltimore last year in the $12,000 range, almost double the last GPA sale of an 8.0 252. So in those grades the 242 is in my opinion far and away the better investment. But when you get below 6.0 the 252 is much easier to resell and will generally sell for prices at or above those of 242. The desirability of Supergirl's 1st appearance is the main factor. But a secondary contributing factor is the cover of the two books. 242's purple cover is a huge part of that book's appeal. In lower grades it shows and seems to magnify every defect. Most good and vg copies just look rough. So lower grade defects negate a huge part of the appeal. 252 on the other hand has a cover that masks defects somewhat and generally looks good even in the lowest grades. And as we know, eye appeal is a huge part of what drives most folks to purchase the comics that they enjoy.

+1.

Nicely put.