• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is DC 100-Page Super Spectacular 5 a key?

Key: Yes or no?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Key: Yes or no?

85 posts in this topic

What's with all the haters? Why are you guys expending so much time and energy trying to make your point? Who cares if it's not a key to you,it's a key to others who collect that genre of comics.

What's with all the haters? Why are you guys expending so much time and energy trying to make your point? Who cares if it's not a key to you,it's a key to others who collect that genre of comics.

There are no "haters". The guy asked if it's a key. It's not a key, it's hard to find in high grade. It used to be scarce but with the internet nothing is scarce anymore.

There are no "haters". The guy asked if it's a key. It's not a key, it's hard to find in high grade. It used to be scarce but with the internet nothing is scarce anymore.

Did you miss the entire thread about this subject,oh yes there are haters. :eyeroll:

Isnt this book usually listed in the top 20 of Bronze age books? In this years overstreet its number 9 on the list of top 10 comics of the Bronze age. It is not easy to find. I seaeched for months for a mid grade copy.

I thought I might be missing something since all those two clowns would tell me is that it's scarce, especially in high grade, and valuable. Of course, neither of those qualities has anything to do with "keyness."

There are a lot of comics that I collect that are important to me but definitely are NOT objectively keys. Should I call them "Paul keys?"

I also own some pretty scarce comics that have nothing else going for them. Are they keys too?

I thought I might be missing something since all those two clowns would tell me is that it's scarce, especially in high grade, and valuable. Of course, neither of those qualities has anything to do with "keyness."

There are a lot of comics that I collect that are important to me but definitely are NOT objectively keys. Should I call them "Paul keys?"

I also own some pretty scarce comics that have nothing else going for them. Are they keys too?

Sure what the hell. :eyeroll:

To me key means first appearance or important story element. Like 'first Wolverine' or 'dude gets head chopped off in walking dead'. Come to think of it it's usually first or last appearances that are key. This applies to objects too like 'first green kryptonite' or first Batcave. First Jim Lee etc.

I have always looked at a key as not just meaning a first APP etc but could be an iconic cover, art work, scarce issue , 1st work from an artist , variant copy, etc.

Other books that fall into this category are Silver Surfer 4 (Scarce and cover) and Defenders 10 with that awesome cover of Hulk and Thor. That Defenders 10 is always on top Bronze age key list. I know not everyone agrees but thats the way I see a key.

Another example. Star Wars # 1 is not a key but Star Wars # 1 35 cent Variant is considered a key Bronze Book by many.