• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are These Restoration

Original staples removed and cleaned  

474 members have voted

1. 1. Original staples removed and cleaned

131 posts in this topic

Jeeze POV, get a freaking life! Everyone knows your position on restoration so why bother re and re posting?
Sweet...had computer problems so had to reload XP onto my system so I got to vote twice! yay.gif

The thing is, it is not only the process but the RESULT that has to be considered. Do you think a book with cover gloss streaks or a booger pull is actually restored?

No, but I also leaning towards minor cleaning and pressing not being restoration, either, although I'm still reserving final judgement on the issue for a bit longer.

So what's the difference between finger pressing and non-intrusive forms of NDP pressing again? And the difference between wonder-breading, booger-removal, and NDP cleaning again? I'm just not seeing a clear difference between the processes. You tried to explain the pressing side by saying "pressing is ADDING FLATNESS," but that's what you do when you use your finger to press down a fold...so how do they differ again, other than the fact that you think one is resto and the other isn't but you're not able to describe what the differences are between the procedures? "Unusual pressure" is rather subjective and includes a whole range of damage a book can take that isn't restoration at all...

I'm not trying to imply that your position is wrong, I'm just trying to evoke from you a more comprehenstive and consistent way to describe the differences between pressing and cleaning that IS resto from pressing and cleaning that ISN'T. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm not trying to imply that your position is wrong, I'm just trying to evoke from you a more comprehenstive and consistent way to describe the differences between pressing and cleaning that IS resto from pressing and cleaning that ISN'T.

When applying the pressure with heat and/or moisture. makepoint.gif

First I'm not sure what you mean by NDP (is there a foreheadslap.gif coming from me on this?) But I'd be happy to give my opinion when I understand NDP.

"Unusual pressure" is rather subjective and includes a whole range of damage a book can take that isn't restoration at all...

Hmmm - I thought I explained it but basically what I mean is the usual force applied when reading the book. The thing is, unless the book is never opened and read, then sufficient pressure simply from the reading process is really all that is needed for unculring a curl.

I'm not trying to imply that your position is wrong, I'm just trying to evoke from you a more comprehenstive and consistent way to describe the differences between pressing and cleaning that IS resto from pressing and cleaning that ISN'T.

When applying the pressure with heat and/or moisture. makepoint.gif

I'd also include a book press type of pressure that uses neither heat nor moisture.

Using a knife to scrape off a dried booger will probably leave something akin to a tape pull.

Can a booger be removed in an undetectable fashion? What is CGC's policy on booger removal? Are there a lot of big dealers removing boogers from comics and not disclosing it? If a booger falls off a book by itself is it treated the same as if the booger were removed professionally? This topic is surely worthy of it's own thread!

Using a knife to scrape off a dried booger will probably leave something akin to a tape pull.

Can a booger be removed in an undetectable fashion? What is CGC's policy on booger removal? Are there a lot of big dealers removing boogers from comics and not disclosing it? If a booger falls off a book by itself is it treated the same as if the booger were removed professionally? This topic is surely worthy of it's own thread!

Not to mention who is wiping all their boogers on these comics! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not to mention who is wiping all their boogers on these comics! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it's gross weirdos like you and rpjb. Your avatars are QUITE disgustingly horrific! 893whatthe.gif

What a thing to say about dear sweet old St. Nick!

May you find coal or Rudolf droppings in your stocking!

Although I can't really vouch for rpjb! poke2.gif

661855-Nightmare%2323.jpg

589a8d6e24faf_661855-Nightmare23.jpg.2fba60fd2951257d59c3ef4cfb7ac9c7.jpg

An act of restoring: damage too great for restoration.

An instance of restoring or of being restored: Restoration of the sculpture was expensive.

The state of being restored.

it's black and white not grey...it's an action to remove or hide damage. I was glad to see most people recognized what it was and kind of hoping no one doing slabbing was giving the no answers

i put no to everything except the new staples might fall under it for me, everything else is using materials from an original, and i would have no hesitation, if it could be proven none of the materials used came from a different one just my opinion, and other's may differ.

and i would have no hesitation, if it could be proven none of the materials used came from a different one just my opinion

huh??? The whole "marrying" thing uses materials from a "different one" if I am reading you right. Whatever. confused-smiley-013.gif

restoration: restoring a book to its original condition.

hello? no mention of materials, as they are of no consequence. original materials, new materials. same bloody difference.

i think someone may have missed the concept here, pov

restoration: restoring a book to its original condition.

hello? no mention of materials, as they are of no consequence. original materials, new materials. same bloody difference.

i think someone may have missed the concept here, pov

I am still missing the concept. "restoration: restoring a book..." Shouldn'tt use the word being defined in the definition! Not even sure whose def that is at this point!

not exactly what i meant, i mean if it could be proven the staples on my FF#2 came from another FF#2 with some sort of proof, Video of the dude doing it or something, i meant not a different title or issue but yeah

See the problem with the strict definition of Restoration = "restore to it's original condition" is this:

who's to say I'm trying to bring the book back to it's ORIGINAL CONDITION. I MIGHT be trying to make it LOOK / APPEAR like it's original condition, but in fact I'm not actually restoring it to it's original condition.

If I replace a missing piece, I have NOT RESTORED it to it's original condition, nor color touching, or glue on spine, etc The book has not magically, regrown a missing piece, or had a spine split heal.

So the only way to modified the Restoration = "restore to it's original condition" is to add "restore to APPEAR TO BE in it's original condition".

But once again, that leads back to DOING ANYTHING (i.e. bending back a crease with our finger, or wiping dust off of a book with a tissue, or flatting books by stacking them tightly together) to a book.

So regardless what the technical term for restoration is, to me, some physical element needs to be added back to the book, in hopes of making the book appear to be like new (which is why date stamps, writing, distribution ink, etc. doesn't qualify as restoration).

That's my defintion of RESTORING A COMIC BOOK.