• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are These Restoration

Original staples removed and cleaned  

474 members have voted

1. 1. Original staples removed and cleaned

131 posts in this topic

Do you think you two could over simplify your responses to each other.

You know, something along the lines of, "Look dillweed, you don't know what you're talking about."

Too much reading going here for a comic message board. If this was an actual comic, you guys would have been cancelled after the first issue.

screwy.gif

Exactly Greggy. The visual medium. Just use graemlins. Quick, succinct, and easy to read.

Word

screwy.gif

My work is done here. Meet you in another thread! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let's go. thumbsup2.gif

You know, something along the lines of, "Look dillweed, you don't know what you're talking about."

Too much reading going here for a comic message board. If this was an actual comic, you guys would have been cancelled after the first issue.

screwy.gif

Exactly Greggy. The visual medium. Just use graemlins. Quick, succinct, and easy to read.

Word

screwy.gif

Let's go. thumbsup2.gif

The earth is doomed. crazy.gif

Try reading the entire article and not just little bits out of context, or worse, using quotes from the second article to characterize the purpose of the first. makepoint.gifHere it is again to make sure you're reading the right one. The article is titled "Solvents and Sensibility" and (in general) is a critique of using Teas solubility parameters, instead favoring the more simplified theory of "like dissolves like." This article is not focused on treatments for paintings. It is universally applicable to all solvents used in conservation techniques.

True, there are parts of the article that discuss the effects of specific solvents on such varnishes as dammar. That is clearly not the overall point of the article though. The point of the article, if you read the whole thing, is "don't spend so much time sweating the Teas solubility parameters, just focus on 'like dissolves like' and everything will be fine."

The portion discussing the use of saliva is in the section discussing surface grime. That section says nothing about dammar resin at all (which was used as an example in different parts of the article when discussing certain solvents that would dissolve it).

Well, now you're guilty of oversimplification. The article I linked to was an article about solvents in general and their use in various conservation treatments.

Don;t know where you got that from, Scott. The articles are about paintings and almost exclusively about impacting painting varnishes. The following are direct bfrom both the first and secoond link. This is an article dealing with oil paintings...and now the cites:

"You have a painting with a layer of aged dammar varnish on the surface."

"As mentioned in Part I, oxidized varnish, too polar to be soluble in xylene alone, can be dissolved in a gel..."

"If there is a varnish film below the oil layer that is susceptible to the deoxycholate soap solution, the Lipase can be prepared in a Tris buffer solution"

Further it states

"A solvent is strong or weak relative to the material being dissolved (and relative to the material we do not want to dissolve). This concept is crucial to the safe exploitation of solvents in conservation. It pertains to formulating solvent carriers for adhesives and varnishes, to the safe removal of old varnish layers from the surface of paintings, to the removal of aged masking tape adhesive residues from anywhere they shouldn't be." Here they are talking about paintings.

"Now for the Richard Wolbers revolution. You have a painting with a layer of aged dammar varnish on the surface"

"Whether this new approach to solvency is used to unpack (Richard's term) the layers on the surface of a painting, or to remove masking tape residue from wherever it oughtn't be, it is a revolution that all practicing conservators will want to join."

The large link in the first article states "I have compiled some formulations for varnishes and other handy things. If there is continued interest, I think this might be a valuable on-going Newsletter topic." (note varnishes). The next paragraph says "The following varnish formulations are attributed to Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Where they first originated is not clear, but very similar recipes are found in painting conservation studios everywhere." (Note "painting conservation studios").

In fact, almost of of the flormulae in the large link from the first article are for various varnish work. It finishes with this, probably the most revealing as to the nature of this piece: This list need not be limited to painting conservators' formulae. Please send your every-day workhorse formulations to: (address follows)"

::edited to add "Please send your every-day workhorse formulations to: (address follows)"" to the final patragraph. Missed it on the copy/paste.

screwy.gif

Word

screwy.gif

Let's go. thumbsup2.gif

Excellent idea. You're both free to [#@$%!!!] off whenever the reading comprehension level required for any post exceeds the second grade, you know.

sign-funnypost.gif

You do know that this is all going to be in the Chemistry final!!! I do hope you all paid attention!

Stop makepoint.gifing me. There is no need for it.

After all is said and done, this whole thing boils down to the following:

1) Is saliva part of the comic book restorer's arsenal?

2) If so, how is it used?

3) Has it been tested when applied to comic books.

That's it. That's the core.

The article you cite, with the exception of paintings and varnish, does not discuss other media in regards to the applicaiton of the ideas it presents.

So how would you apply all of this to comic book restoration? What pieces of this article will you take away and say "OK - I know now I can do this, this and this with a comic book." And to makepoint.gif, the whole crux of this long-going conversation has been my questioning of saliva as applied specifically to comic books.

Stop makepoint.gifing me. There is no need for it.

After all is said and done, this whole thing boils down to the following:

1) Is saliva part of the comic book restorer's arsenal?

2) If so, how is it used?

3) Has it been tested when applied to comic books.

That's it. That's the core.

The article you cite, with the exception of paintings and varnish, does not discuss other media in regards to the applicaiton of the ideas it presents.

So how would you apply all of this to comic book restoration? What pieces of this article will you take away and say "OK - I know now I can do this, this and this with a comic book." And to makepoint.gif, the whole crux of this long-going conversation has been my questioning of saliva as applied specifically to comic books.

Let's ask someone then. confused-smiley-013.gif

makepoint.gif

Just kidding about the makepoint.gif I couldn't help myself. grin.gif

And for the record, the whole point of this was that you could straighten out a corner using spit-moistened fingertips and no one would scream that you've restored the book. We got off on the tangent of the safety of using spit on newsprint and this is where we find ourselves now. Since spit isn't generally acidic, and since amylase doesn't degrade cellulose, I don't see any reason why it would be unsafe to use, other than from the cockling that could occur with spit or with any aqueous medium, many of which are used for comic book conservation/restoration.

Are you guys analyzing spit? Seriously? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifyay.gif

Seriously. One of my favorite things about Michael is that he'll talk with me endlessly about ANY topic relating to conservation and restoration of comics. cloud9.gif It's funny when we have these conversations after a few too many drinks, because then we get reeeeeally cantankerous. yay.gif

Are you guys analyzing spit? Seriously? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifyay.gif

lol all you want BUT...you see? These are the things that make greatness in the world. The things that yield those amazing discoveries. You may well be asking, are we discussing moldy bready! grin.gif