• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you block low ball buyers?

235 posts in this topic

I just had an ebay user message me an offer of $350 on a $1000 book. I'm good to work with reasonable offers, but... Do you guys block bidders like this?

He has low feedback, and I honestly feel like I'd end up dealing with lots of ebay drama from someone like that if they were to end up 'buying' one of my books.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't. I always lo ball my first offer. And sometimes it's accepted. Otherwise we haggle back and forth and come to a reasonable price.

(shrug)

A lot of (most) prices on any "key" book on eBay are ridiculously inflated. I have been successful offering <50% of the posted value via the OBO or a message to the seller.

Without knowing what you are selling and determining whether or not $1,000 versus $350 is a fair price, it is kind of hard to give an opinion.

Is your book slabbed and priced inline with GPA? If it is raw, are you anywhere near guide?

I just had an ebay user message me an offer of $350 on a $1000 book. I'm good to work with reasonable offers, but... Do you guys block bidders like this?

He has low feedback, and I honestly feel like I'd end up dealing with lots of ebay drama from someone like that if they were to end up 'buying' one of my books.

Thoughts?

If there's one thing I dislike more than lowball buyers is highball sellers. E-Bay is now mostly BIN's with aggressive pricing. I say let the lowball buyers

even out the playing field. Maybe your 1000 pricetag is high ?

(shrug)

A lot of (most) prices on any "key" book on eBay are ridiculously inflated. I have been successful offering <50% of the posted value via the OBO or a message to the seller.

Without knowing what you are selling and determining whether or not $1,000 versus $350 is a fair price, it is kind of hard to give an opinion.

Is your book slabbed and priced inline with GPA? If it is raw, are you anywhere near guide?

It's slabbed. GPA is $700 from last year, last sale was 1350 on Clink a few months ago.

Thoughts?

If there's one thing I dislike more than lowball buyers is highball sellers. E-Bay is now mostly BIN's with aggressive pricing. I say let the lowball buyers

even out the playing field. Maybe your 1000 pricetag is high ?

This

Dumbest thing you can do is get huffy and confrontational. You have no idea where he's at and may lose a potential customer with a fair final price.

Dumbest thing you can do is get huffy and confrontational. You have no idea where he's at and may lose a potential customer with a fair final price.

I politely declined his offer. Huffy and confrontational is the quickest way to get a neg or an 'empty box' claim on ebay.

I politely declined his offer. Huffy and confrontational is the quickest way to get a neg or an 'empty box' claim on ebay.

No counteroffer????

No counteroffer????

Ehh, I'll counteroffer if we're close on price. Offering half of the lowest price the book has ever gone for, I think is one of those 'We're too far apart on this' situations.

No counteroffer????

Ehh, I'll counteroffer if we're close on price. Offering half of the lowest price the book has ever gone for, I think is one of those 'We're too far apart on this' situations.

You're missing out.....sometimes I low ball something I'm willing to pay full price for. Haggling, you know. You've closed the door ..... play the game-you have nothing to lose.

The last time I was offered that much of a price cut on a book, was from a 12 year old WHOWASSUPEREXCITEDABOUTEVERYTHING. So I'm wary.

Well I'm 55 and I do it....just sayin....

There's a way to set up parameters for your BIN OBO listings.

Offers below a threshold (you set) get auto-rejected. No fuss, no muss.

Offers above a threshold (you set) can also be set to auto accept.

So you list a book BIN $1000 OBO

You set your threshold to reject any offers below $700

You set your second threshold to auto-accept any offers above $900.

Someone OBO's you with $925? Bam! Auto accepted. You've made a sale with no effort.

Someone OBO's you with $300? Bam! Auto-reject, and you didnt even have to worry about it.

Use the tools you are given!

Someone OBO's you with $925? Bam! Auto accepted. You've made a sale with no effort.

Someone OBO's you with $300? Bam! Auto-reject, and you didnt even have to worry about it.

Yep

But remember-a good salesman just needs to get his foot in the door. I've opened up a dialogue with low ballers, talked with em about the book etc then they decided they liked me and bought the book at a fair price. Don't throw away any selling tools, brah! Someone can offer me a penny and I'll see what I can do with em.....

Oh, for sure. This wasn't made through BIN tho, it was sent via message. All my BIN books always have a minimum offer acceptance.

There are people who make a living off of marking up items they were able to finagle off other sellers. Just decline and they usually move on to the next seller on their list until they catch someone who might be in a hurry for quick cash. Don't be offended, just decline and FORGET IT!!!

Sigh.....what about counteroffering....you guys give up too easy.

There are those buyers you mentioned but there's also buyers like me who are willing to pay near asking but want to see if we can haggle it down some....