• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has speculation affected the “test price” variant market also?

15 posts in this topic

I have been talking to a few collectors via PM about this. I would love to own some of the higher graded copies that others on here talk about owning but I see when they do show up the books are slow movers or go unsold after a month of being listed. I always thought that with seeing some new blood in the “price variant” forums that this part of the Bronze Age collecting was way pass the speculation crazy.

All the graded variants had that steady gain without that crazy price jump that other Bronze Age books with speculation had over the years. I was feeling this was a safe area to collect without having the loss of over paying if I bought the top end graded copies. It seems now that only some of the mid to lower grade copies are selling with steady gains and the top end copies are either not selling or selling lower than what they sold for years prior.

Look at Star Wars #1 35c 9.0 that now sells for $4000+ but a year ago I remember a sale that was around $8000. Why such a big jump then drop in price for a book Star Wars collectors would love to own and that a new movie is coming out in 2015. I would say Speculation but I see higher graded copies priced at FMV not get any offers or selling on EBay. Lower grade copies still do very well on auctions, consignment sites, and conventions. Is this book going the Incredible Hulk #181 route with sales?

I think with the census change I brought up in one of my past “want to buy” posts, that even the once desired Iron Fist #14 has lost its glory for buyers. All copies of the book are just sitting unsold due to prices above FMV or the seller does not want accept any offers. This book needs a lot of correcting with the changes to the census and sellers need to see that. I would like to see where the market really stands on this book with some auction listings.

I also like to how some other books like the Scooby Doo or Flintstone would do when they do show up for sale or auction.

I have been talking to a few collectors via PM about this. I would love to own some of the higher graded copies that others on here talk about owning but I see when they do show up the books are slow movers or go unsold after a month of being listed. I always thought that with seeing some new blood in the “price variant” forums that this part of the Bronze Age collecting was way pass the speculation crazy.

All the graded variants had that steady gain without that crazy price jump that other Bronze Age books with speculation had over the years. I was feeling this was a safe area to collect without having the loss of over paying if I bought the top end graded copies. It seems now that only some of the mid to lower grade copies are selling with steady gains and the top end copies are either not selling or selling lower than what they sold for years prior.

Look at Star Wars #1 35c 9.0 that now sells for $4000+ but a year ago I remember a sale that was around $8000. Why such a big jump then drop in price for a book Star Wars collectors would love to own and that a new movie is coming out in 2015. I would say Speculation but I see higher graded copies priced at FMV not get any offers or selling on EBay. Lower grade copies still do very well on auctions, consignment sites, and conventions. Is this book going the Incredible Hulk #181 route with sales?

I think with the census change I brought up in one of my past “want to buy” posts, that even the once desired Iron Fist #14 has lost its glory for buyers. All copies of the book are just sitting unsold due to prices above FMV or the seller does not want accept any offers. This book needs a lot of correcting with the changes to the census and sellers need to see that. I would like to see where the market really stands on this book with some auction listings.

I also like to how some other books like the Scooby Doo or Flintstone would do when they do show up for sale or auction.

As a huge Star Wars comic fan, I would be hard pressed to spend $8000 on a Star Wars 1 35 cent variant. I'd rather have a cheaper (sub $1000 copy) since 1) this comic is not that hard to find in comparison to the other 35 cent variants because it was discovered early and 2) there are better, more liquid books to be had with the money. Just my 2c

I don't know if the Iron Fist #14 has lost it's glory but I think you're right some of the low to mid-grade copies have been priced very aggressive and it would be interesting to see a few at auction. However, one of the Highest Graded copies just sold on ComicLink for 15K (sale pending).

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.4 35 Cent Variant

[ 1) this comic is not that hard to find in comparison to the other 35 cent variants because it was discovered early

Actually, the 35-cent variants were based on a very small percentage of the print run, of which Star Wars #1 was off the charts. That's why it's the most common 35-center, and why it's almost impossible to find the Westerns.

I have been talking to a few collectors via PM about this. I would love to own some of the higher graded copies that others on here talk about owning but I see when they do show up the books are slow movers or go unsold after a month of being listed. I always thought that with seeing some new blood in the price variant forums that this part of the Bronze Age collecting was way pass the speculation crazy.

I think with the census change I brought up in one of my past want to buy posts, that even the once desired Iron Fist #14 has lost its glory for buyers. All copies of the book are just sitting unsold due to prices above FMV or the seller does not want accept any offers. This book needs a lot of correcting with the changes to the census and sellers need to see that. I would like to see where the market really stands on this book with some auction listings.

As a huge Star Wars comic fan, I would be hard pressed to spend $8000 on a Star Wars 1 35 cent variant. I'd rather have a cheaper (sub $1000 copy) since 1) this comic is not that hard to find in comparison to the other 35 cent variants because it was discovered early and 2) there are better, more liquid books to be had with the money. Just my 2c

Absolutely true. It's also why Star Wars #2-4 are "easier" to find than, say, John Carter #1. There was Star Wars mania at the time, and every available copy got bought up and saved. I think it's fairly easy to demonstrate that, because SW #1 has been known since virtually the beginning

The print runs for all of them, as it was a test, are virtually guaranteed to be identical (otherwise, Marvel would have a very difficult time tallying results "let's see, how many copies of 35 cent Iron Fist #13 did we print...?") If the numbers were all different, it would make zero sense for a test.

Oddly enough...it was the fact that Star Wars was SO popular, which resulted in Marvel doing immediate reprints for the first time in its history, that muddied the waters quite a bit, and resulted in the loss of untold numbers of 35s. Since there were so many versions of SW #1-6 floating around, and people knew there were reprints (along with the essentially unknown Direct Market copies), it wasn't a clear picture as to what was what.

See, the 35 cent variant was known from the beginning. People knew there was a "different" copy that existed. If there had *only* been a 35 cent variant, and not "also priced 35 cent" reprints, plus the DM copies, then the picture would have been quite a bit clearer: two versions, one 30, one 35...and the market may have recognized this in other books, too, a lot, lot sooner.

As it is....there were so many versions, and no internet, so people got confused, and the other 35s quietly vanished from the pages of history...

But yes, lack of attrition contributes the vast majority of the reason why SW #1 35 is as common as it is.

And to answer Keldog's question: I think these are too rare to really speculate. I think people are just interested in owning a set, because it's such a great challenge. As others have said....it would be easier to assemble a run of Action #1-900 in 8.0 or better, than it would be a complete set of 35s. They are simply that rare.

I don't know if the Iron Fist #14 has lost it's glory but I think you're right some of the low to mid-grade copies have been priced very aggressive and it would be interesting to see a few at auction. However, one of the Highest Graded copies just sold on ComicLink for 15K (sale pending).

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.4 35 Cent Variant

It is doing better then this Star Wars #1 that should have been gone after a few weeks of being listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-CGC-9-4-WHITE-PAGES-35-CENT-PRICE-VARIANT-/301122350221?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item461c4a6c8d

I still think with the changes in the census that demand has dropped and we need to see some auctions to know the true prices of these types of books. I don't know why people get scared to list these "in demand" copies or any book for auction with a low start price. Almost all these "hard to find" are buy it now listings like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weird-Wonder-Tales-1974-30-Cent-Variant-15-FR-GD-1-5-/131164943407?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e8a0a342f

I doubt anyone will pay that much for that copy. If they did a best offer or made it an auction with a buy it now then it might have sold already.

Listing like these show me it might be all speculation or hype since I have been seeing listings like these on EBay and other sites not moving.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3Diron%2Bfist%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D14%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26SearchPageQuality%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D32%26y%3D7%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy&id=968840

Are collectors just not that hungry to complete their sets or got so picky that they can wait for a 8.5 to 9.4 to show up at a lower price.

I have been hunted these books at cons, flea markets, yard sales, and antique store in these test market areas. I have bought some over the internet when the prices are not crazy and I can afford to spend a little more them FMV. Now that I have slowed down it looks like a lot of collectors are dumping their sets and demand has dropped on some books. I am not saying all of the books have lost demand but lower grade copies at auction seem to sell at or above normal prices. Look at some of the past variant auctions on ComicLink and you can see this or some of the listings on EBay.

I've been after a set of 30c and mini-runs in the 35c for about 8 years.

Recently I think a few things are happening in unison to the PV market - Scooby Doo and Flintstones aside as those are really still rarefied air.

In the 30c market many collectors that I have talked too just want a set, there are a few more collectors out there but more 30c variants are also coming out as the market matures and more people recognize them and know what to look for. This results in more movement at the lower end, as a 30c variant in say 8.0 is still a 30c variant - more people are collecting the rarity than the CONDITION

In the 35c market SW#1 is really the Hulk 181 - more demand, more copies. As more copies come up the price goes down and SW1 may be one of the most common variants due to print run size, so the price has come down with the increase in copies, but it won't crash because of the core demand that will always be there.

Overall the PV Market looks to be stabilizing and with more copies coming on to the market, especially in mid-grade and a few more collectors entering as well, overall it seems a healthy niche segment of the BA collecting arena.

2c

I've been after a set of 30c and mini-runs in the 35c for about 8 years.

Recently I think a few things are happening in unison to the PV market - Scooby Doo and Flintstones aside as those are really still rarefied air.

In the 30c market many collectors that I have talked too just want a set, there are a few more collectors out there but more 30c variants are also coming out as the market matures and more people recognize them and know what to look for. This results in more movement at the lower end, as a 30c variant in say 8.0 is still a 30c variant - more people are collecting the rarity than the CONDITION

In the 35c market SW#1 is really the Hulk 181 - more demand, more copies. As more copies come up the price goes down and SW1 may be one of the most common variants due to print run size, so the price has come down with the increase in copies, but it won't crash because of the core demand that will always be there.

Overall the PV Market looks to be stabilizing and with more copies coming on to the market, especially in mid-grade and a few more collectors entering as well, overall it seems a healthy niche segment of the BA collecting arena.

2c

+1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weird-Wonder-Tales-1974-30-Cent-Variant-15-FR-GD-1-5-/131164943407?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e8a0a342f

I doubt anyone will pay that much for that copy. If they did a best offer or made it an auction with a buy it now then it might have sold already.

Listing like these show me it might be all speculation or hype since I have been seeing listings like these on EBay and other sites not moving.

Someone paid in the $500 range for a 3.0 copy around the X-Mas time frame, it was an interesting sale that caught some attention I'm sure. This book then came on the market for $500 with no takers and has continued to be listed lower and lower with no takers.

I agree that entertaining offers would probably move the book. Not sure what FMV is, but in that condition (barely collectible) its not worth $400 IMO - I mean WWT 15 is rare, but its not Supergear or anything :makepoint:

+1

A SW#1 9.4 White Pages sold on Ebay last month for $10,750 after the seller kept relisting it for a few months and then they listed it with best offer to get a sale.

Someone paid in the $500 range for a 3.0 copy around the X-Mas time frame, it was an interesting sale that caught some attention I'm sure. This book then came on the market for $500 with no takers and has continued to be listed lower and lower with no takers.

I agree that entertaining offers would probably move the book. Not sure what FMV is, but in that condition (barely collectible) its not worth $400 IMO - I mean WWT 15 is rare, but its not Supergear or anything :makepoint:

Isn't that how sellers use mycomicshop? You relist and relist at slightly lower prices until someone decides its low enough. I think sometimes you do better putting it up at a reasonable price to start without hoping someone is going to overpay to get a copy. I haven't sold on mycomicshop but I see A LOT of issues where something similar happens. I find this is especially true with rare books. It'll come down (thumbs u

Isn't that how sellers use mycomicshop? You relist and relist at slightly lower prices until someone decides its low enough. I think sometimes you do better putting it up at a reasonable price to start without hoping someone is going to overpay to get a copy. I haven't sold on mycomicshop but I see A LOT of issues where something similar happens. I find this is especially true with rare books. It'll come down (thumbs u

Yes I have seen that also, the WWT 15 is now at $375 with no takers thus far. Anyone want to venture a guess at FMV for one of these in 1.5 shape, that is what the grade is as stated by seller.

Yes I have seen that also, the WWT 15 is now at $375 with no takers thus far. Anyone want to venture a guess at FMV for one of these in 1.5 shape, that is what the grade is as stated by seller.

It was for sale on mycomicshop before too for...$15 maybe? But it sold. Looks like the buyer knew that was underpriced and fixed that, haha.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-212-Blank-Bar-35-Cent-Variant-Rare-Holy-Grail-CGC-5-0-/291135196008?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

hm Maybe the seller will see your post and this book will come down.