• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intercept Storage Bags for CGC Graded Comics

21 posts in this topic

Intercept Technology ™ works better than Mylar.

Visit our store to shop for CGC comic storage solutions: Coin Armour

Whether you know it or not, harmful gases in the environment can deteriorate paper very rapidly. While Mylar provides a passive barrier to harmful gases, which means it blocks harmful gases, it cannot remove harmful gases from the storage bag which means that gases become trapped.

Intercept Technology ™can and does remove these gases. By storing comic books inside Mylar, you could be trapping these gases inside the environment which can lead to paper corrosion and deterioration. In short, Intercept works better by not only preventing gases from penetrating, but also cleans the inside of the bag.

tn_480_64285551225fd3daa0a93204a831ac11_JPG_zps250ddad0.png

Our Comic Storage Bags are 9 1/2" x 13 3/4" (3 mil) made from Corrosion Intercept ®.

While Our Intercept Bags Cost More, Our Bags Do More

Intercept Technology ™ was developed in 1986 by Lucent Technologies, Bell Labs. The scientists at Bell Labs invented a method to transform normal plastic into a high gas barrier material utilizing copper reacted into the plastic molecular chain. By reacting it into a polymer it is locked into place.

Intercept has been primarily used in commercial and industrial applications to protect vital components and parts from corrosion. Specifically, Intercept is used widely by the Automotive, Electronics, Telecommunications and Aerospace industries, to name a few. In fact, Intercept meets Clean Room 100 Standards and is approved for use by NASA.

Intercept Technology ™ provides a level of protection that other packaging cannot provide, a reactive barrier to corrosive gases

Also, our bags contain UV inhibitors and have a zipper seal to lock out any harmful gases that may enter in the future…but don’t worry, if any gases are inside, Intercept will permanently neutralize the corrosive gases.

In short, Intercept Technology™ provides effective protection from not only atmospheric corrosion, but also fungi attack.

•The inert material will not out gas (release corrosive gases) like charcoal based products.

•Is non toxic, non abrasive and temperature independent

• Does not leave deposits on items it protects.

•Does not contain volatile corrosion inhibitors (VCI).

•Cleans trapped air of harmful gases making a micro-environment free of corrosive gases

•Protects from fungi attack

•Made in USA

tn_480_f21d746e22d7f8113ba750a2558fb6b2_JPG_zps2ae89da0.png

This sounds interesting. I do think it would be beneficial to make some kind of special offer on the Boards so we can try these out. BTW, I tried the Free Sample Option on your site but I got some message about my OS does not support POP3 ?

Not sure you answered my question/problem with the free sample option.

While the 5.00 off offer is nice, I'm still not anxious to spend 20.00 on something I don't understand. The bags appear very large = will not fit the slabs snugly. This means we cannot use a typical CGC storage box. Since the bags zip tightly will there be a trapped moisture problem ? If I can't get a free sample can you sell an individual bag . You need to garner some feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. The bags were not designed to be placed inside CGC boxes in bulk as they would not fit.

They were designed to store the higher end more expensive comics on an individual basis. I never had any moisture problems with my comics stored inside our bags. Also, Intercept is a bacteria and fungus inhibitor.

That's going to kill a lot of potential sales if we cannot protect and store them as well.

You're stating that for a higher cost than the molars, we get better protection, but we are losing the ability to easily store these. What kind of protection can these offer if they are all just lying around?

When storing any type of valuable or collectible documents including comics, it is important to understand what steps to take to properly preserve those documents for the long-term.

The first step is to have the comic graded and encapsulated. This will prevent any obvious damage to the comic. However, paper deterioration goes beyond that and is impacted by environmental factors. The CGC holder is not air-tight, which will allow harmful environmental factors to penetrate the holder and cause slow paper deterioration over time.

The second issue is the CGC boxes. Cardboard is probably one of the worst mediums to store any collectible since it to will deteriorate over time by releasing gases that will penetrate whatever is stored in them.

I personally use large Intercept totes to store all paper collectibles including comics. While these are not customize sizes they will do the trick.

As a side note, comic grading is relatively new in comparison to coin grading. Many coin collectors thought their coins were safe in NGC holders. However, they realized over time that the coin will tone and spot if not properly protected (some like this and some don't). JMHO that the same will happen with comics if not properly stored as time passes, just as coin collectors realized the same.

While the coin impact may be reversible thru conservation, you cannot reverse the impact of paper deterioration. You have to ask yourself "is that 9.8 still going to be a 9.8 ten years from?. As the old saying goes in coins, "buy the coin, not the holder/grade", the same will hold true for comics over time.

When storing any type of valuable or collectible documents including comics, it is important to understand what steps to take to properly preserve those documents for the long-term.

The first step is to have the comic graded and encapsulated. This will prevent any obvious damage to the comic. However, paper deterioration goes beyond that and is impacted by environmental factors. The CGC holder is not air-tight, which will allow harmful environmental factors to penetrate the holder and cause slow paper deterioration over time.

The second issue is the CGC boxes. Cardboard is probably one of the worst mediums to store any collectible since it to will deteriorate over time by releasing gases that will penetrate whatever is stored in them.

I personally use large Intercept totes to store all paper collectibles including comics. While these are not customize sizes they will do the trick.

As a side note, comic grading is relatively new in comparison to coin grading. Many coin collectors thought their coins were safe in NGC holders. However, they realized over time that the coin will tone and spot if not properly protected (some like this and some don't). JMHO that the same will happen with comics if not properly stored as time passes, just as coin collectors realized the same.

While the coin impact may be reversible thru conservation, you cannot reverse the impact of paper deterioration. You have to ask yourself "is that 9.8 still going to be a 9.8 ten years from?. As the old saying goes in coins, "buy the coin, not the holder/grade", the same will hold true for comics over time.

…from the same company that brought you the Intercept Storage Bag comes the Intercept up-sell…I mean Tote!

If the bags do as well as you say, then the gases released by the cardboard still will not get to them. Besides, I have one cardboard short box that I have had for about 20 years and it's still perfectly fine…how long does it take cardboard to deteriorate? Is this really a problem or just a hype?

Your best bet is to figure out how to make your bags, which do not sound too bad, fit the current storage abilities of the market. Try to make your product work with what is already available. Trying to start a whole "company" to fulfill it all is going to be rough. Especially if we cannot get samples or have easy access to them physically.

I am seriously interested in these but I just want to make sure I understand all of the implications in using this product first. The price seems a little high when compared with other bag forms but I don't mind spending the extra money if its going to better serve the conservation of my books. The whole concept of these bags is that they are air tight and have elements that remove corrosive gases from the inside. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding was that the CGC cases were not meant to be sealed air tight because it could potentially trap moisture, etc and cause deterioration to happen faster. Like rust on staples, etc. So although the CGC case and inner well does not keep all environmental factors out, it does allow for them to escape from the case. Do you have to be conscience of the environment your are exposed to when you seal these bags? IE, could you trap moisture inside the bags if they were sealed in a high humidity environment?

Also, on your website there is a picture of the bag with a CGC book. The CGC book is sitting on top of the bag, correct? Can you see through these bags? Do you have a picture of a CGC book inside the bag you can provide?

Lastly, I see that the bags have been successfully used on coins for years. Have these bags been used and tested on paper products for an extended period of time? I've always been told that air tight seals on paper products can be a bad thing over time unless you can control the environment perfectly, with ideal temperature, humidity levels and argon gas.

You mention on your website specifically when you are speaking about the benefits on these bags with coins here:

"Intercept provides something different that other packaging cannot: a reactive barrier to corrosive gases. Traditional materials like foil packaging are simply passive barriers. Foil packaging demands complete hermetic seals, where even a single pin-hole in the foil or break in the seal can render packaging ineffective.

Non-ferrous metals, such as Silver, have no humidity dependency, so foils and dry packaging offer no real protection. These metals corrode primarily due to corrosive gases, not moisture. They require other packaging materials which depend on volatile chemicals and oils. These packaging products have a definite shelf life and a limit to their usefulness."

The above comment is a little concerning because it specifically mentions moisture as a non-issue for Silver coins. We all know that moisture is a big no-no for paper and Ferrous metals (staples). Does this mean that the bags have the potential to hold in moisture?

Do the corrosive gases that damage coins also damage paper in the same way? or are corrosive gases more damaging to metals (staples)?

Sorry for all of the questions, basically my main concern is that this product can turn into a humidity chamber if not used correctly.

PS = What is a large intercept tote?

…from the same company that brought you the Intercept Storage Bag comes the Intercept up-sell…I mean Tote!

If the bags do as well as you say, then the gases released by the cardboard still will not get to them. Besides, I have one cardboard short box that I have had for about 20 years and it's still perfectly fine…how long does it take cardboard to deteriorate? Is this really a problem or just a hype?

Your best bet is to figure out how to make your bags, which do not sound too bad, fit the current storage abilities of the market. Try to make your product work with what is already available. Trying to start a whole "company" to fulfill it all is going to be rough. Especially if we cannot get samples or have easy access to them physically.

Sorry there is no upsell as we do not offer totes. This is something I have access to but is not available for retail. Also, I am not trying to start a whole new company. I have branched out from coins based upon my passion for preservation and conservation. Just trying to offer a different perspective. Many coin collectors have become disappointed that their coins were not properly protected and realized this many years later. I just hope that comic collectors can invest time to understand preservation and conservation and avoid the mistake of others.

One of the main issues I stress is that everyone should spend as much time understanding how to care for and preserve collectibles vs. how much time they research what is the correct purchase.

I am seriously interested in these but I just want to make sure I understand all of the implications in using this product first. The price seems a little high when compared with other bag forms but I don't mind spending the extra money if its going to better serve the conservation of my books. The whole concept of these bags is that they are air tight and have elements that remove corrosive gases from the inside. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding was that the CGC cases were not meant to be sealed air tight because it could potentially trap moisture, etc and cause deterioration to happen faster. Like rust on staples, etc. So although the CGC case and inner well does not keep all environmental factors out, it does allow for them to escape from the case. Do you have to be conscience of the environment your are exposed to when you seal these bags? IE, could you trap moisture inside the bags if they were sealed in a high humidity environment?

Also, on your website there is a picture of the bag with a CGC book. The CGC book is sitting on top of the bag, correct? Can you see through these bags? Do you have a picture of a CGC book inside the bag you can provide?

Lastly, I see that the bags have been successfully used on coins for years. Have these bags been used and tested on paper products for an extended period of time? I've always been told that air tight seals on paper products can be a bad thing over time unless you can control the environment perfectly, with ideal temperature, humidity levels and argon gas.

You mention on your website specifically when you are speaking about the benefits on these bags with coins here:

"Intercept provides something different that other packaging cannot: a reactive barrier to corrosive gases. Traditional materials like foil packaging are simply passive barriers. Foil packaging demands complete hermetic seals, where even a single pin-hole in the foil or break in the seal can render packaging ineffective.

Non-ferrous metals, such as Silver, have no humidity dependency, so foils and dry packaging offer no real protection. These metals corrode primarily due to corrosive gases, not moisture. They require other packaging materials which depend on volatile chemicals and oils. These packaging products have a definite shelf life and a limit to their usefulness."

The above comment is a little concerning because it specifically mentions moisture as a non-issue for Silver coins. We all know that moisture is a big no-no for paper and Ferrous metals (staples). Does this mean that the bags have the potential to hold in moisture?

Do the corrosive gases that damage coins also damage paper in the same way? or are corrosive gases more damaging to metals (staples)?

Sorry for all of the questions, basically my main concern is that this product can turn into a humidity chamber if not used correctly.

PS = What is a large intercept tote?

When storing any collectible, you should always be conscience of the level of humidity in the environment. This is just good storage and preservation practice. For example, no matter what I am storing I always use dessicants, to absorb any excess moisture that I cannot control from environmental factors. If you have any concern regarding a zipper seal, you could always either include a dessicant in with the bag or leave the zipper open. That being said, I never had any issues storing my comics in Intercept bags with zipper seals.

If you have time here is an excellent research paper on paper preservation and Intercept

Paper Preservation

Either way, Intercept will eliminate any harmful gases that move into the bag. Also, moisture is not required to cause rust on staples. Rust can occur thru exposure to hydrogen sulfide or sulfur dioxide.

Yes, the same corrosive gases that harm coins, can and will harm paper. Also, keep in mind that the paper used to produce comics is very inexpensive and probably of the lowest quality possible due to the mass production. Care should be taken.

The picture of the comic in our store in actually inside the bag. One side is clear the other side is Intercept. We also add UV protection to our comic bags.

I really am interested in this product. Like Wipple above, I would like to use them on some books in my safe. Not sure why you don't explicitly answer my question, can I get a free sample or at least buy a smaller quantity to check this product out ? Please.

I really am interested in this product. Like Wipple above, I would like to use them on some books in my safe. Not sure why you don't explicitly answer my question, can I get a free sample or at least buy a smaller quantity to check this product out ? Please.

No worries...just send me an email at info@coinarmour.com