• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the "movie hype" sweet spot to unload a comic that ties into it?

What is the "movie hype" sweet spot?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. What is the "movie hype" sweet spot?

29 posts in this topic

From what I've seen movie books just keep rising and rising. Daredevil may be the exception.

Watch for ASM values to plummet......

Don't think that freaky Rhino suit is going to cause a run on that first appearance. Could be wrong though. Wish they would of done "Hulk like" CGI for that character instead of Iron Rhino.

What is the "movie hype" sweet spot to unload a comic that ties into it?

Before the grand jury convenes, usually.

I said one month prior.

The hype is high and no one knows if it sux or not lol

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

I said one month prior.

The hype is high and no one knows if it sux or not lol

Seems to be the prevailing wisdom.

Makes me curious if there is a sweet spot to buy if the movie turns out to be a dud. How fast do prices drop once the cat is out of the bag that the movie is terrible? Do they stabilize pre-movie or drop lower?

It depends on whether or not the movie is good.

If the movie is bad - or if the character being speculated on turns out to have a small or lame part - the time to sell is before the movie comes out and everyone discovers this.

If the movie is good and the character's part in it is good, after the movie comes out it the right time. It seems to happen very rarely, but only a good movie with a cool character will cause people to want to buy the comic after they see the film - which is the entire premise of speculating on these in the first place.

I know people who have seen Cap 2 and immediately started tracking down Brubaker Cap issues and Winter Soldier appearances. If you had sold off before the film hit, you would have missed out on this bump.

But a lot of people could have saved themselves a lot of money if they had dumped their ToS #50 before the secret of Mandarin in Iron Man 3 was revealed.

What was the high of Tos 50 and what is current value?

Mandarin sucked in that movie.

It depends on whether or not the movie is good.

If the movie is bad - or if the character being speculated on turns out to have a small or lame part - the time to sell is before the movie comes out and everyone discovers this.

If the movie is good and the character's part in it is good, after the movie comes out it the right time. It seems to happen very rarely, but only a good movie with a cool character will cause people to want to buy the comic after they see the film - which is the entire premise of speculating on these in the first place.

I know people who have seen Cap 2 and immediately started tracking down Brubaker Cap issues and Winter Soldier appearances. If you had sold off before the film hit, you would have missed out on this bump.

But a lot of people could have saved themselves a lot of money if they had dumped their ToS #50 before the secret of Mandarin in Iron Man 3 was revealed.

Great post. Thanks