• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Silver Age Archie Issues?

43 posts in this topic

So recently I've gotten into Afterlife with Archie something fierce. I've never collected Archie, nor do I know more than a cursory amount about the characters. But my interest is growing and getting to the point where I want to dip my toes in the water.

I'm pretty up on the big Golden Age Archie keys by way of OSG and other sources, but can you Archie fans help steer me towards the big Silver Age Archie keys? Are there even enough to do a top ten list? What's important? What's rare? etc...

The other day I picked up a low grade copy of Archie's Madhouse #22 for a pretty reasonable price and I think that's a good start for a SA Archie collection. What's next?

I think Josie and the Pussycats #45 is both underrated and not particularly easy to find. There's one copy on ebay and it's beat to heck. This is the first appearance of the Pussycats. Before this issue, Josie was just another teen humor title, but Archie was looking to replicate the success of The Archies cartoon and musical group, so they decided to turn Josie into a musical group as well.

With #45 the title changed from "Josie" to "Josie and the Pussycats," the band was introduced along with the iconic cat costumes, and the issue is also the first appearance of Valerie, who was basically the first major African-American female character in comics.

Given their place in pop culture, this seems like a pretty significant issue all around to me.

There really aren't a lot of Silver Age Archie keys. I would say Life with Archie #1 and Jughead's Folly #1 (a relatively rare one-shot with an Elvis cover) both qualify. Betty and Veronica #40 and #41 both have classic covers that put them in demand. Jughead #84 is the first appearance of Big Ethel, but there doesn't seem to be any real demand for it.

Archie's Pals 'n Gals #23 is the first appearance of Josie (and Melody). That's a good one.

Others with more knowledge than me will hopefully weigh in.

Here's a stab at a list of the top Silver Age Archie keys:

1. Archie's Mad House #22

2. Archie's Pals n' Gals #23

3. Little Archie #1

4. Life with Archie #1

5. Jughead's Folly #1

6. Betty and Me #1

7. Betty and Veronica #40

8. Betty and Veronica #41

9. Josie and the Pussycats #45

10. Archie's Mad House #1

11. Archie and Me #1

I'm not sure 10 and 11 really belong. They aren't quite in the same category as the others. Mad House is pretty much a forgotten title these days other than Sabrina. Archie and Me is also undervalued, given that the series lasted 23 years and 161 issues. People just don't collect those titles very much. The top 8 here have some crossover appeal to people who aren't necessarily hardcore Archie collectors.

Archie's Christmas Stocking #1 and #2 are pre-code, though.

I don't understand he's asking for silver age key comics for archie and that's what I gave him how did I mess up?

Most people don't consider pre-code comics to be Silver Age, that's all. They are certainly keys, though. It's all good.

(thumbs u

I don't understand he's asking for silver age key comics for archie and that's what I gave him how did I mess up?

Most people don't consider pre-code comics to be Silver Age, that's all. They are certainly keys, though. It's all good.

(thumbs u

haha cool as long as it's what he wants

(thumbs u

haha cool as long as it's what he wants

The Silver Age is defined as starting with Showcase #4 (October, 1956). So the first 2 Christmas Stockings are not Silver Age (1954 and 1955). I think that's all that Crimebuster was pointing out since the original post asks for Silver Age Archie Keys. Personally, I mainly collect Golden Age Archie issues but I love the early Silver Age books as well. Especially the late 50s books. They "feel" more like GA then SA to me anyways. I agree though that Archie's Christmas Stocking #1 and #2 are great books to have.

My guess would be Pals n Gals 23, Madhouse 22, some of the 15 cent variants, and any other scarce or high demand issues like the innuendo covers (Betty and Me 16, etc.). Maybe Josie #1 in high grade too.