• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Centerfold Detached At One Staple

16 posts in this topic

I have centerfold that is detached at the top staple. Is it restoration if I fix it? What's the best way to fix it?

$_57.JPG

My very first post!!! I started collecting about 6 months ago, go easy on me :D

I've heard of people opening up the staple and re-attaching the centerfold. I can't imagine it's very stable, but I don't think it's considered resto and I think there are a few examples of books getting large grade bumps from having the centerfold tucked back under a staple.

I've heard of people opening up the staple and re-attaching the centerfold. I can't imagine it's very stable, but I don't think it's considered resto and I think there are a few examples of books getting large grade bumps from having the centerfold tucked back under a staple.

Any chance you have a link to one of those large grade bumps?

IMO, no, it is not restoration. However, don't use any additives to hold it in place, just a staple tuck.

Well, call it whatever you like, but in my experience when a page (like above) becomes detached, the CF has popped (or worn and torn) and there is not a lot to work with. Re-aligning the staple tines to hold it long enough to get through grading is deceitful at best.

Take the hit, sell it raw and fully disclose. It's a nice book, and someone will still want it at a fair price. :grin::takeit:

:gossip: It's not always about the grade and the money. :)

If you bend the staple that will be detected as resto. If you can tuck it back in ok otherwise leave it be.

If you bend the staple that will be detected as resto. If you can tuck it back in ok otherwise leave it be.

Help me understand this. It's not restoration to shift and realign the whole spine, it's not restoration to physically shrink the cover, it's not restoration to tuck a staple under the cover, it's not restoration to remove a dangling chip,it's not restoration to smooth out creases BUT it's restoration to bend the staple.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Help me understand this. It's not restoration to shift and realign the whole spine, it's not restoration to physically shrink the cover, it's not restoration to tuck a staple under the cover, it's not restoration to remove a dangling chip,it's not restoration to smooth out creases BUT it's restoration to bend the staple.

Kav doesn't know Jack, and all of your examples are resto. :grin:

Oh, and I know your post was tongue-in-cheek. ;)

Thanks for all the advice! I'll probably leave it alone :)

Bend your staples open then bend them back down then send to CGC and see what happens fool.

What are you saying-that staple replacement isn't resto on SA books? Or that a rebent staple can't be detected? Which idiotic position are you taking here?

I know of a few books that had vintage staples added that did not get either...they came back blue label.

In case you are wondering, I did not do the work on the books. I was just told the end result.