• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Silver Age hero vs. hero battle issue?

47 posts in this topic

Other epic battles (or at least cool covers) not mentioned yet:

Thor 126: Thor versus Hercules (Norse God versus Greek God!)

X-Men 100: New team battles old team

ASM Annual 4: An extended battle between Spidey and the Torch

Thor 126: Thor versus Hercules (Norse God versus Greek God!)

thumbsup2.gif The Thor-Hercules fight rocks, because they're both simultaneously speaking the Shakespearean English while throwing bulldozers and such on each other. Or am I thinking of a different Thor-Hercules fight?

So what have you? What are your top three favorite Silver Age hero vs. hero battle issues?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, single issue? I'd have to go with Silver Surfer # 4. The art was some of the best by Buscema. I would say it may even be his best work (certainly at the top of his form)! If nothing else, Classic Buscema Cover!

But my all-time favorite battle is a two-parter, with many guest stars included: Fantastic Four # 25 & 26. This was Marvel Silver Age at it's best! The F.F. battle the Hulk as the Avengers join in. Everyone gets in each other's way, Thing is tireing, Johnny Storm is wounded,...just good stuff ! thumbsup2.gif

Third entry: Fantastic Four # 55, Thing battles Surfer. Classic Kirby!

Honerable mention: Early Spider-Man Vs. The Torch. Classic Marvel Silver Age Teen Vs. Teen!

Considering that the Silver Surfer was supposed to be an advanced being and was constantly spouting peace, love and understanding, isn't it ironic that he seems to be involved in a disproportionate number of fights with other superheroes?

Considering that the Silver Surfer was supposed to be an advanced being and was constantly spouting peace, love and understanding, isn't it ironic that he seems to be involved in a disproportionate number of fights with other superheroes?

He is just misunderstood. frown.gif

SurferSeated.gif

Well, single issue? I'd have to go with Silver Surfer # 4. The art was some of the best by Buscema. I would say it may even be his best work (certainly at the top of his form)! If nothing else, Classic Buscema Cover!

There are many great artists but Johny B's work, in particular this issue, is really a notch above anything I have ever seen. It was the inspiraton for my Board name. I think all other artists since he started use B's version of a character as a guide. Can't say enough about his talent. 893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

Since my favorites(DD 43 and SS 4) have been mentioned,allow me to throw in some other goodies.

Strange Tales 114 Human Torch vs Cap America(sort of)

Submariner 14 -Namor vs. Golden Age Torch(kinda)

Strange Tales 107- Namor vs Johnny Storm

Avengers 71-Avengers vs. WW2 era Invaders

Submariner 34/35 Avengers vs. a yet to be formed Defenders team

Bronzes would include Iron Man #66 vs Thor and Avengers 158(?) Vision vs. WonderMan thumbsup2.gif

I have long maintained that John Buscema is the most underrated artist in the history of comics. He was uniquely talented... I don't think any artist ever put more power into his figures, Kirby included. Silver Surfer #4 may be my single favorite issue of a comic book that I've ever read. Sal Buscema isn't known as a top-notch inker, but his work on that issue was terrific.