• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay best offer for charity??? anyone else contacted by this buyer Possible SCAM

35 posts in this topic

Hi, all

I received this message on Ebay for one of my BIN or Best Offer listing, (Transformers #1 SS Bill Sienkiewicz), the would be buyer (Message below) is asking me to accept a very low offer (about 40% of my list price) stating that the book would then be auctioned by a CGC rep to support a Children's Cancer Ward ... After reading his message I wondered about his authenticity, legitimacy, and honesty (That's a lot of "y"s).

So has anyone ever had dealings with this buyer?

Or

Has anyone ever received this type of request?

My brain is telling me that this is a scam :frustrated::sick:

My heart..... wants to help out hm

Thoughts???

The ebay seller is; dklkbk, I cut and pasted his message below:

i made offer several times and this is my last offer $75.00 please consider it, we like to auction this off we local cgc rep who told us we could do well with this book for collectors here and raise good money for childrens cancer ward here, i understand way below what you are asking but we have no more to work with, we did in the begging when we offered you a lot more but time is running short for auction here, please consider we really would love to get this to help raise more for the hospital ward for these kids, we do this out of our own pockets of course but we have limits as well after paying for rep and auctioneer as well

thank you

god bless

doug

Good for you for having your heart in the right place but I call bullsh on that request. The cynic in me says that someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes bud. :gossip:

I'd think that if there was a CGC related charity event it'd be widely published on the boards, splash page, etc.

Hi, all

I received this message on Ebay for one of my BIN or Best Offer listing, (Transformers #1 SS Bill Sienkiewicz), the would be buyer (Message below) is asking me to accept a very low offer (about 40% of my list price) stating that the book would then be auctioned by a CGC rep to support a Children's Cancer Ward ... After reading his message I wondered about his authenticity, legitimacy, and honesty (That's a lot of "y"s).

Or

Thoughts???

i made offer several times and this is my last offer $75.00 please consider it, we like to auction this off we local cgc rep who told us we could do well with this book for collectors here and raise good money for childrens cancer ward here, i understand way below what you are asking but we have no more to work with, we did in the begging when we offered you a lot more but time is running short for auction here, please consider we really would love to get this to help raise more for the hospital ward for these kids, we do this out of our own pockets of course but we have limits as well after paying for rep and auctioneer as well

thank you

god bless

doug

Addendum:

While sympathetic to the above mentioned charitable cause, I actually donate both time and money to several charities her in Rochester, NY... Including Wounded Warriors, Troubled kids, and other church facilitated causes.. If I thought this was ledgit I would donate a book and or money..

By nature I'm prone to believe that people are honest and find it difficult to believe that anyone would use kids with cancer as a way of defrauding people.... but the more I think about this... the more it just feels wrong....

Personally I would think it was a scam but that's simply because I have lost a lot if faith in the good of man. I guess if they are sincere. Ask for full name and contact information as well as the hospital and a contact at the pediatric ward there. It's a lot of leg work on his behalf and yours but only way to make sure.

Good luck

Personally I would think it was a scam but that's simply because I have lost a lot if faith in the good of man. I guess if they are sincere. Ask for full name and contact information as well as the hospital and a contact at the pediatric ward there. It's a lot of leg work on his behalf and yours but only way to make sure.

Good luck

I was thinking the same thing... before I posted this I asked for the full name of the CGC Rep, as well as the name of the hospital and contact information at the cancer ward there?

great minds!

WOW !!!!...........

I got a Message for that same person back in Jan 14th. it was for my CGC 9.8 SS Action #0 signed by Brandon Routh

I started the Auction on Feebay for $125. with shipping. he offer me $60 with this reason.

This is from him:

Dear hobbymaster68,

HI WOULD YOU CONSIDER $60.00 FOR THIS ITEM ?

MY WIFE AND I COLLECT COMICS TO AUCTION OFF FOR CHILDRENS CANCER WARD TO RAISE MONEY FOR THEM

THANK YOU

DOUG

- dklkbk

CGC 9.8 SS Action Comics #0 Signed by Brandon Routh aka Superman Actor. RARE !!!

Item Id: 141162871759

End time: Jan-14-14 09:38:15 PST

Buyer:

dklkbk (209)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Member since Sep-26-06 in United States

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.

Hi, all

Or

Thoughts???

thank you

god bless

doug

If it is legit ask him to email the acceptance letter for the charity auction explaining the event. The acceptance letter he is working for this organization. The organization's 501c3 number/letter stating the charity is a 501c3. He should be able to provide the org 501c3 letter and some form of acceptance letter with the org's logo either he is working with this org or for this event. If he can email those two forms then he is legit. I run charity auction's for Kids Need to Read and Phoenix Children's Hospital as long as I provide those items I am taken legitimately.

Never had that kind of offer but man reading it really made my head hurt. If it was legit then you would think the charity would want someone who can form a proper sentence working for them.

Good luck

I was thinking the same thing... before I posted this I asked for the full name of the CGC Rep, as well as the name of the hospital and contact information at the cancer ward there?

great minds!

Here is Doug's response to my request for the Name of the CGC rep, Hospital name, and contact information at the children's cancer ward

"wow, i never been drilled so hard for wanting to buy something at a lower cost to try and raise money so we can donate it, i could see if i was asking for free but im not, so if this is your responce to making a better offer for a purchase

then im sorry for the bother, i dont see any need to give a lot of info for us wanting to buy something and then trying to auction off to raise money.

i will look onwards

god bless

- dklkbk"

I now believe that this guy is a scam artist!!!!

He is trying to get very low prices on CGC books by using Kids with Cancer as a hook to sucker kind hearted people. He is the worst kind of individual...

I intend to do the following!

1. Alert my fellow board members to this individual's actions / methods

2. I will contact Ebay in the morning about this and see if they will take any steps to sanction ebayer... but based on Ebay's attitude and position on protecting buyers and ting on sellers, I expect nothing from them

3. I will block him from all further transactions with me on Ebay.

4. Throw up.... this makes me sick! :sick:

Never had that kind of offer but man reading it really made my head hurt. If it was legit then you would think the charity would want someone who can form a proper sentence working for them.

Man, it's like you read my mind and posted what I was thinking!

Man, it's like you read my mind and posted what I was thinking!

Yeah, That was only one of the things that set off the warning bells.....

I mean, I've been known to butcher the written word,, and my spelling is frightfully bad, but really, if your gonna scam someone, put some effort into it

Good luck

great minds!

Here is Doug's response to my request for the Name of the CGC rep, Hospital name, and contact information at the children's cancer ward

"wow, i never been drilled so hard for wanting to buy something at a lower cost to try and raise money so we can donate it, i could see if i was asking for free but im not, so if this is your responce to making a better offer for a purchase

then im sorry for the bother, i dont see any need to give a lot of info for us wanting to buy something and then trying to auction off to raise money.

i will look onwards

god bless

- dklkbk"

I now believe that this guy is a scam artist!!!!

He is trying to get very low prices on CGC books by using Kids with Cancer as a hook to sucker kind hearted people. He is the worst kind of individual...

I intend to do the following!

1. Alert my fellow board members to this individual's actions / methods

2. I will contact Ebay in the morning about this and see if they will take any steps to sanction ebayer... but based on Ebay's attitude and position on protecting buyers and ting on sellers, I expect nothing from them

3. I will block him from all further transactions with me on Ebay.

4. Throw up.... this makes me sick! :sick:

Folks that are actually doing things like this are very quick to give details, will produce 501©(3) letters and provide backup for anything. They do it because it is the right thing to do, and it is the most effective way to recruit new people to start donating time, money and items to the charity.

This guy makes me want to puke.

I once had an eBay member try the same thing on me. I responded by asking for more information about the charity, and that I would consider donating the item to the charity if I thought it was worthwhile. I didn't think the guy was legit, but on the off chance he was, I thought that donating the item to the charity would be a much better way to handle things.

I did not hear back for a few days, and when I finally did, he simply upped his offer a little bit. He never acknowledged my request for more info, and when I repeated that request, I never heard from him again.

What an evil person to use such tactics to scam a few bucks, hopefully karma will catch up to him someday.

There are plenty of things in place and it is very easy to donate to all sorts of charities, there is never a need to send money or goods to a random person or cold call.

Complete person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag. Trying to prey on peoples sympathy's for a comic book. No offense to anyone, as we're all collectors of these prized items. But trying to use kids with cancer to low ball someone for something as trivial as a comic book is despicable. Good on you for spreading the word on this scammer.

I once had an eBay member try the same thing on me. I responded by asking for more information about the charity, and that I would consider donating the item to the charity if I thought it was worthwhile. I didn't think the guy was legit, but on the off chance he was, I thought that donating the item to the charity would be a much better way to handle things.

I did not hear back for a few days, and when I finally did, he simply upped his offer a little bit. He never acknowledged my request for more info, and when I repeated that request, I never heard from him again.

Same exact thing happened to us!