• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tales of the Teen titans 44

30 posts in this topic

Thanks for the opinions! I think the 8.0/8.5 is :insane:

No way this is less than 9.0, I'm thinking it's a solid 9.8. Those whiteatks are the staples, not spine ticks

I wonder what everyone sees to knock this down several grades. In person it looks super clean

I don’t know how familiar you are with grading with scans, but the little I have learned in the two years I have been here is that everyone tends to undergrade because the scans (depending on hoiw good you are to adjust them to reflect how the book actually look) really magnify many defects, while there are defects which are not visible. This "double direction" problem can be partly avoided by giving a detailed description besides the pictures, highlighting the pros and the cons of the book.

Honestly, I would have said NM-/NM, because I personally would not allow minor ticks in 9.6-10 grades, but I am not a professional grader and I also keep into account my personal preference.

So I think it’s a solid NM, maybe better I don’t know…

I have an example of what I said in a book I am going to post in the next days: a Fantastic Four #64 which apparently is no less than a VF+, but has a defect which is entirely invisible in the scans. :)

9.2-9.4 :cloud9:

edit: Just to add to what Vaillant above said, it's REALLY difficult to grade from scans. Regardless of scan resolution. Night/day from having the copy in hand. (shrug)

Totally understand and agree with everything said. However even considering that, I would still say differentiating a 9.0+ from an 8.0 would still be "fairly simple" granted there are no defects that aren't visible. But again you are all right, It will determined by CGC in the end and scans do make it difficult.

No doubt it is in the 9.0+ range, it all depends how much flaws there are.

I doubt a 9.8 is doable, but a 9.6 maybe – I still can’t get the "refined" higher grades.

I purchased some 9.4 raw from Worldwide and they look a bit better than your scan, but again, I purchased a 8.5 and it was more like a 8.0… :(

I’d be happy keeping it raw – unless you like the comic as an "object", that is. ;)

Not sure what you mean by object???

Basically I like getting issues signed because It makes it nicer for display IMO. I like the idea of a wall lined with graded pieces.

Also way way down the line, like when I'm in my 90's I could sell it for more. Of course this goes with a few assumptions, but the main reason is I just honestly like how graded books look.

No way this is less than 9.0, I'm thinking it's a solid 9.8. Those whiteatks are the staples, not spine ticks

I wonder what everyone sees to knock this down several grades. In person it looks super clean

Haha, that's actually funny. Sorry if my opinion offended you. But it is only one persons opinion. And last I check, we all are paid the same for them. I hope you get a 9.8 buddy, ....

Haha, that's actually funny. Sorry if my opinion offended you. But it is only one persons opinion. And last I check, we all are paid the same for them. I hope you get a 9.8 buddy, ....

Oh, I wasn't mad, I was confused. It would be pretty silly to post a book asking for opinions and getting upset at those opinions. No offense taken my friend, I was just honestly confused at what you saw giving it an 8/8.5.

I’d be happy keeping it raw – unless you like the comic as an "object", that is. ;)

Not sure what you mean by object???

Basically I like getting issues signed because It makes it nicer for display IMO. I like the idea of a wall lined with graded pieces.

Also way way down the line, like when I'm in my 90's I could sell it for more. Of course this goes with a few assumptions, but the main reason is I just honestly like how graded books look.

A lot of collectors buy comics, bag, board and store them. So, for someone who does that, there is not much difference between a raw and slabbed comic. Raw or slabbed, they're still objects. You want to enjoy the writing and the art, TPBs and digital copies work just as well.